Kurt Cobain...15 years ago...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember my mom saying "Did you hear that Nirvana died?". I was 14 at the time and a friend a mine had died a couple of months earlier. Not a great span of time for me, but before long, I decided that one of these deaths was sad and the other was sad, but mostly stupid.

It seemed like MTV had the Nirvana Unplugged on loop for the next week.

I dig their music still and love Kurt's voice. Some of his songs just kill me as much as Tweedy's stuff does. There's this one song they did on Unplugged, I wish I could remember which one but at the end Kurt just has this LOOK and it freaks me out every time! I know it was quite a few months before he died but still I get goosebumps every time I see it. It's like he knew the end was coming and soon. :dontgetit

I hope his poor, tortured, restless soul is at peace...

EDIT: I believe this was the moment 'Where Did You Sleep Last Night' around the 4:40 mark. It was their last song of the night. He lets out this deep sigh and opens his eyes real wide. It freaks me out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xHl-P_arVA...feature=related

I remember my mom saying "Did you hear that Nirvana died?". I was 14 at the time and a friend a mine had died a couple of months earlier. Not a great span of time for me, but before long, I decided that one of these deaths was sad and the other was sad, but mostly stupid.

It seemed like MTV had the Nirvana Unplugged on loop for the next week.

I was 32 when Kurt died, so I guess his music didn't affect me the way it might have if I was like, 15 or something. The guy wrote some good songs, but I certainly didn't think he was an 'avatar of the age' like a Dylan or Lennon.

What really used to piss me off was the media calling him & Love "The John and Yoko of the Nineties". I mean, that's just flat-out ridiculous.

>What really used to piss me off was the media calling him & Love "The John and Yoko of the Nineties". I mean, that's just flat-out ridiculous.

That's pretty funny. You could probably call Courtney Love a modern-day Yoko: Largely irrelevant and known for having married a famous musician.

I dig their music still and love Kurt's voice. Some of his songs just kill me as much as Tweedy's stuff does. There's this one song they did on Unplugged, I wish I could remember which one but at the end Kurt just has this LOOK and it freaks me out every time! I know it was quite a few months before he died but still I get goosebumps every time I see it. It's like he knew the end was coming and soon. :dontgetit

I hope his poor, tortured, restless soul is at peace...

EDIT: I believe this was the moment 'Where Did You Sleep Last Night' around the 4:40 mark. It was their last song of the night. He lets out this deep sigh and opens his eyes real wide. It freaks me out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xHl-P_arVA...feature=related

Yes, the look towards the end of "Where Did You Sleep...." is transfixing and I love it. It's always been a "moment" in time I think of when I think of him, too.

I was the same age as he was when he did himself in and was pretty bummed. I had seen Nirvana a few months earlier in NYC. I still listen to them often and still appreciate the stuff they put out. I don't think of them as "grunge," and never have. Pop/Rock is more fitting, for me.

I was right about the same age as him as well when he died and was a huge Nirvana fan. The day they found him, we got off the graveyard shift and were drinking at a bar in Berkeley CA. Got cut off there, I guess the bartender didn't like serving whiskey shots at 7AM to us. We went over to a mexican restaurant to keep drinking and saw the news on a TV. I was stunned, and extremely drunk. Instead of going home we continued to drink and wander around the Berkeley Marina in a haze. Got home some time that night. One of those "Where were you" moments for me.

i was 9 at the time so i have choppy memories of this. i was introduced to Nirvana via MTV, loved the song Lithium, and can recall MTV playing the Unplugged show on repeat after Cobain's death. it wasn't until 6-7 years later that i became a big fan.

The last show I saw of them was The State Fairgrounds in Detroit. One of those huge, old hangar type buildings. 1993. Absolutely blistering performance. I had never seen and haven't seen since a band that raw and intense. Kurt's voice was perfect. Must have had good monitors. I was front row, on the barrier getting crushed. I still have a scar on my stomach from that night. It was a roar of sound. Literally a fucking roar for an hour an a half. I will never forget that show.

I was buying a pair of Converse when I heard he died. They were playing the news on the radio in the store. I still have those shoes. Blue suede Cons. Blue Suede Cons!

The last show I saw of them was The State Fairgrounds in Detroit. One of those huge, old hangar type buildings. 1993. Absolutely blistering performance. I had never seen and haven't seen since a band that raw and intense. Kurt's voice was perfect. Must have had good monitors. I was front row, on the barrier getting crushed. I still have a scar on my stomach from that night. It was a roar of sound. Literally a fucking roar for an hour an a half. I will never forget that show.

I was buying a pair of Converse when I heard he died. They were playing the news on the radio in the store. I still have those shoes. Blue suede Cons. Blue Suede Cons!

Holy shit! Is it wrong that I'm wearing a pair of Blue Suede Cons right now?

I bought a pair, as well, soon after. Blue suede, too. Still have them somewhere. The same ones as in the photo. Weird.

Yes, the look towards the end of "Where Did You Sleep...." is transfixing and I love it. It's always been a "moment" in time I think of when I think of him, too.

:thumbup

That's one of two enduring images I have of him in my mind. The other is that sinister clapping thing at the end of the Live and Loud thing on MTV. That look he has in his eyes and then his face just goes blank and he walks off stage. That was/is just haunting.

>What really used to piss me off was the media calling him & Love "The John and Yoko of the Nineties". I mean, that's just flat-out ridiculous.

That's pretty funny. You could probably call Courtney Love a modern-day Yoko: Largely irrelevant and known for having married a famous musician.

Yeah except Yoko is actually creative and talented.

That's one of two enduring images I have of him in my mind. The other is that sinister clapping thing at the end of the Live and Loud thing on MTV. That look he has in his eyes and then his face just goes blank and he walks off stage. That was/is just haunting.

Totally. And the footage of him twisting the guitar/guitar strap all around his body while playing rings out, too. I like the footage of him beckoning the crowd up on stage at that NYE show, as well.

Yeah except Yoko is actually creative and talented.

Is she? I think Hole has some excellent stuff and thought Love was pretty good in People v. Larry Flint. I still listen to Celebrity Skin often.