Kurt Cobain...15 years ago...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally. And the footage of him twisting the guitar/guitar strap all around his body while playing rings out, too. I like the footage of him beckoning the crowd up on stage at that NYE show, as well.

Is she? I think Hole has some excellent stuff and thought Love was pretty good in People v. Larry Flint. I still listen to Celebrity Skin often.

i was't so much ripping courtney as defending yoko. i know she isnt everyones cup of tea, but I really like some of her stuff, esp. the FLY record.

Man, I loved that band. I was a sophmore in college when he died. It sucked... but if I'm honest, I wasn't at all surprised, really. Sad, but not surprised. I'm not sure, but I may be a bit cynical... I've been told that.

so what do you all think... had Cobain not killed himself, what kind of music would he be playing today? and how long would Nirvana have survived?

I suspect Nirvana wouldn't have lasted much more than a couple more years - Cobain seemed weary of his fame even before he got it. Dave Grohl also seemed destined for front-man status, although I doubt he would have been the cause of the band's breakup.

Personally, I can easily see Cobain having followed the route of guys like Mould, Morello, Westerberg & Costello - former punks/rockers who found a need to produce more lyrically-oriented work, often accoustic, at various points in their later career(s). And like those guys, I'm sure he would have also felt the need to bolt out some aggressive music as well... but it would have been wonderful to hear a "Workbook" like solo album from Cobain.

I was shocked to realize that it was 15 years ago.

What type of kid was I to have been a Nirvana fan at 11 years old?

I do remember that my parents hated that I had a Nirvana poster on my wall, and I had grand plans to see them in concert that summer of '94 at the ancient age of 12.

I remember there was an article in Rolling Stone after he died where the writer was saying how they heard on the news that a Popular blonde haired singer was found dead in his home. They looked at each other and said "Oh lord, please let it be Beck!". It was kind of funny at the time because at that point Beck had not really done much. Not sure why that sticks in my head.

I remember there was an article in Rolling Stone after he died where the writer was saying how they heard on the news that a Popular blonde haired singer was found dead in his home. They looked at each other and said "Oh lord, please let it be Beck!". It was kind of funny at the time because at that point Beck had not really done much. Not sure why that sticks in my head.

:lol

It is one of the high points of internet history, that's what it is.

That is just the fucking bizness! :worship

Nirvana were due to play in Dublin shortly after he was found dead and I was bummed about that. I saw them in Dublin, must have been their jaunt with Bleach. They were third on the bill after The Breeders and headliners Teenage Fanclub. A great threefer of a show that was.

Nirvana were due to play in Dublin shortly after he was found dead and I was bummed about that. I saw them in Dublin, must have been their jaunt with Bleach. They were third on the bill after The Breeders and headliners Teenage Fanclub. A great threefer of a show that was.

Not to change the subject, but I wish Teenage Fanclub would tour the States a bit more. Never seen them perform before.

I didn't get into Nirvana until after he was gone. I was too wrapped up in hippie music while I was in college. Actually I was in my bedroom in my apartment drinking a Rolling Rock and listening music when my roommate came in and told me. I just grabbed another beer out my fridge that I had in my room. I rather like their music, now. I had friends who use to see them when they came through Chicago area and I do regret not seeing them perform when I had the opportunity.

so what do you all think... had Cobain not killed himself, what kind of music would he be playing today? and how long would Nirvana have survived?

I suspect Nirvana wouldn't have lasted much more than a couple more years - Cobain seemed weary of his fame even before he got it. Dave Grohl also seemed destined for front-man status, although I doubt he would have been the cause of the band's breakup.

Personally, I can easily see Cobain having followed the route of guys like Mould, Morello, Westerberg & Costello - former punks/rockers who found a need to produce more lyrically-oriented work, often accoustic, at various points in their later career(s). And like those guys, I'm sure he would have also felt the need to bolt out some aggressive music as well... but it would have been wonderful to hear a "Workbook" like solo album from Cobain.

There's a couple of songs on the boxed set that suggest that direction, but they're kind of embryonic. Kurt had expressed an interest in making an album like Automatic For the People. Basically, I think MTV Unplugged was a dry run for what he wanted to do on the next album, just with a new batch of songs.

Not to change the subject, but I wish Teenage Fanclub would tour the States a bit more. Never seen them perform before.

I didn't get into Nirvana until after he was gone. I was too wrapped up in hippie music while I was in college. Actually I was in my bedroom in my apartment drinking a Rolling Rock and listening music when my roommate came in and told me. I just grabbed another beer out my fridge that I had in my room. I rather like their music, now. I had friends who use to see them when they came through Chicago area and I do regret not seeing them perform when I had the opportunity.

They played some good shows in Chicago, among them, the only live performance of "You Know You're Right" ever.

He and Michael Stipe were supposed to do something together I believe.

I think I was at school during what we called "T period" and they would air that school news show that I'm drawing a blank on and the news came on there.

Channel One?

I listened to mostly r&b (Boyz II Men) and light rap (MC Hammer) until I was on a school band trip in 8th grade to Six Flags and I borrowed a cassette single of Smells Like Teen Spirit and I loved it. Then STP came out with Purple and I kept seeing their Vasoline video and liked that and that was the first of many grunge related albums I got at the time.

Some kid sold me In Utero for $5 dollars during football 2-a-days I believe.