Kurt Cobain...15 years ago...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to mostly r&b (Boyz II Men) and light rap (MC Hammer) until I was on a school band trip in 8th grade to Six Flags and I borrowed a cassette single of Smells Like Teen Spirit and I loved it. Then STP came out with Purple and I kept seeing their Vasoline video and liked that and that was the first of many grunge related albums I got at the time.

Some kid sold me In Utero for $5 dollars during football 2-a-days I believe.

sounds similar to my experience on how i came to like nirvana. it was such an exciting time of musical transitioning, both in my taste and in the world.

I listened to mostly r&b (Boyz II Men) and light rap (MC Hammer).

Back when this stuff was the rage, there would be groups of young males all over downtown Atlanta harmonizing together. I found it annoying at the time (not the people doing it, but the music they were singing), but now I wish that kind of thing still happened.

I sometimes wonder how much more or less of an impact Nirvana would have had if Guns n' Roses had not come along and proven that there was a market for unpolished rock bands. On one hand, Nirvana's impact might have been more extreme, but on the other hand, they may not have been taken seriously by label execs. and remained somewhat obscure.

I sometimes wonder how much more or less of an impact Nirvana would have had if Guns n' Roses had not come along and proven that there was a market for unpolished rock bands. On one hand, Nirvana's impact might have been more extreme, but on the other hand, they may not have been taken seriously by label execs. and remained somewhat obscure.

I refuse to give Guns and Roses any credit for Nirvana's success.:P

I wouldn't give them credit for Nirvana's success, either, but GNR's massive success definitely changed some attitudes in record label boardrooms, creating a more favorable environment for grittier rock bands.

This is a pattern that has happened repeatedly throughout the history of the music business.

Wow time has flied...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/0...sary/index.html

Used to be a big fan! Was supposed to see them in 1994 at the Continental Arena in NJ and my mom wouldn't let me...I was 14 at the time. That was their 3rd to last show ever! :ohwell

Still listen to their music from time to time and get sentimental....

Let's see, '95 I was probably stoned sideways and jacked up on my buddy's grandma's Vicodin watching a couple of dudes play Madden '94 enjoying a bowl of Honeycombs. Life was simpler then. I see Cobain following a Frank Black lifestyle if he'd have lived. I can't picture him working in mainstream music with the type of stardom he would have achieved in a few more years. I too was more Pearl Jam. I always kinda saw it as two different camps ala Stones/Beatles.

about a month ago, I came across the collaboration Kurt did with William Burroughs on WSB's spoken-word piece, The Priest They Called Him. for anyone who hasn't heard it, track it down. Kurt's eerie guitar track over Burroughs' eerie voice reading an even eerier story is just...eerie. pity it's only ~9 minutes long but it's an amazing piece nonetheless.