most mispronounced words

My dad would always say "bat trees" instead of batteries and it would drive us crazy. He insisted he was saying it right but I could never tell if he was doing it to mess with us or if he actually thought he was saying it right.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For many years, I thought "Can't buy me love" was "Can't Bobby love". I think I was in high school before I realized the error :lol

One that gets me is when people say "flush out" when they mean "flesh out".

My dad used to make fun of my mom, before he killed her, because she used to sing "there's a bathroom on the right" for "there's a bad moon on the rise"...

Edit: blue sarcasm doesn't translate well in text.

My Grandfather was from Indiana, where "fish" is pronounced with the "i" sounding like an "e."

I'm not quite sure how to properly spell this improperly pronounced word:

feish or feysh

"Feesh"...is he Mexican as well?

I just want to know who pronounces "often" with the T, and who says "offen". I'm a no-T type of guy.

And - what's the regional boundary lines on catsup v ketchup?

Also - what about "grocery" - do you say it "grossery" or "groshery"?

often - no T.

ketchup. Is catsup a southern thing?

grocery - I grew up saying "grosh-ry" (two syllables), but for some reason have been shifting toward "grossery" in recent years.

:wave I do and I am! I really shouldn't be talking about the way people say things...I'm of the "y'all" and "gonna" crowd, but that's cute, right? I think my friend who likes to "drawl" pictures and eat "punkins" is far worse than I am.

"Y'all" has been in use since colonial times, actually. Perfectly legit.

saying boatload instead of buttload.

it bugs me when people do this. i am sure they do it to be proper and not use the word butt. except buttload is the actual proper word. it is in fact a unit of measure:

metric buttload (n.),

1. 2.4710439 English buttlodes.

2. the capacity of the platinum-iridium International Standard butt, which is housed in Sevres, France, along with the platinum-iridium kilogram and the old bar with the scratches that used to be the standard meter.

A butt is a barrel/vat that was used to transport beer in back in the day.