most mispronounced words

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use "y'all" and I'm a Yankee.

I did spend considerable time in southern Alabama as a kid ... that's where I picked it up.

I picked it up in the South, and pretty quickly. The one I can't get is a Georgia expression -- "fixin' to." "I'm fixin' to go shopping as soon as I can find a buggy (shopping cart)."

I found this genuinely fascinating! Didn't know that.

Also:

When I say "often" the T is usually silent, but not always.

I say ketchup instead of catsup.

When I say "grocery" it sounds like grossery.

I drink milk, but never "melk."

My kids drink a buttload of melk.

"Irregardless" for "regardless."

I picked it up in the South, and pretty quickly. The one I can't get is a Georgia expression -- "fixin' to." "I'm fixin' to go shopping as soon as I can find a buggy (shopping cart)."

That expression is not just used in Georgia. ;)

That expression is not just used in Georgia. ;)

Yeah, living in Texas, I hear it all the time and it drives me nuts. The other phrase I can't stand is "might could." As in, "I might could make it to the store before filling up with gas." I've only noticed it in north Texas (never heard it growing up in south Texas).

In the south they'll tell you that "nekkid" has a different, coarse, meaning.

As Lewis Grizzard (RIP) liked to say, "'Naked' [or, rather, 'NAY-kid'] means you ain't got no clothes on. 'Nekkid' means you ain't got no clothes on and you're up to somethin'."

The other phrase I can't stand is "might could." As in, "I might could make it to the store before filling up with gas." I've only noticed it in north Texas (never heard it growing up in south Texas).

I brought this one up early on in this thread. It is said here in eastern NC, too, though only by the most rural of folks. I never took much notice of it until a couple of years ago when I was dating a woman who had spent most of her life "in the sticks." The first time she said "might could" I looked at her as if she suddenly started speaking Martian. She also stumped me with "tore off the frame." I'm so glad she's not in my life anymore.

I brought this one up early on in this thread. It is said here in eastern NC, too, though only by the most rural of folks. I never took much notice of it until a couple of years ago when I was dating a woman who had spent most of her life "in the sticks." The first time she said "might could" I looked at her as if she suddenly started speaking Martian. She also stumped me with "tore off the frame." I'm so glad she's not in my life anymore.

I have an in-law who uses it all the time. She also pronounces the "L" in salmon.

I also have an aunt who pronounces "sandwich" like "sang-wich." Is this common somewhere?

I use both of these regularly, too. Grew up in CT but lived in southeast VA for 8 years and it stuck. It's really easy to get hooked on using "y'all." It's a verbal shortcut and I'm all for that.

The one I can't get is a Georgia expression -- "fixin' to." "I'm fixin' to go shopping as soon as I can find a buggy (shopping cart)."

That one has variations. I used to hear "finna" all the time, as in "I'm finna go to the mall."

I heard that in Michigan, back in high school. I haven't really heard it since then.