NHL Offseason 2009

Alright folks, the most wonderful time of the year.

As of 1:25 EST on Sunday, here are the matchups. The West may very well change in the next few hours, but the East is locked up.

Eastern Conference Round One:

Boston (1) v. Montreal (8)

Washington (2) v. New York Rangers (7)

New Jersey (3) v. Carolina (6)

Philadelphia (4) v. Pittsburgh (5)

Western Conference Round One:

San Jose (1) v. St. Louis (8)

Detroit (2) v. Anaheim (7)

Vancouver (3) v. Columbus (6)

Chicago (4) v. Calgary (5)

Predictions:

East

-Boston in five.

-New York in seven.

-New Jersey in six.

-Philly in seven.

West

-San Jose in five

-Detroit in four

-Vancouver in six.

-Chicago in six.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so stoked. It's been awhile since I could actually enjoy the playoffs this much.

The Blues are beating the Avs at the time of this posting, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say they'll get 6th. (EDIT: as per usual, my prediction was correct, Blues clinch 6th place.)

East:

Boston over Montreal in 6.

Washington over Rangers in 6.

New Jersey over Carolina in 5.

Pittsburgh over Philly in 7. I could see this series going either way.

West:

San Jose over Anaheim in 7. Anaheim is so hot right now, I think they're the most dangerous team in the bottom 4 of either conference.

Detroit over Blue Jackets in 6.

Vancouver over Blues in 6. I'm biased.

Chicago over Calgary in 7.

:(

I know how you feel. If anything, The Panthers showed promise this year. The future is bright in Florida.

I am bored at work on Easter Sunday here is some more predictions.

Hart Nominees: Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby... maybe a D as well?

Vezina Nominees: S. Mason, Luongo, Thomas

Norris: Green, Lindstrom, Chara

Calder: Mason, Ryan

Selke: Kesler, Richards

Personally, I think Malkin will get the Hart, Thomas the Vezina, Green the Norris, and Mason the Calder. I sincerely hope Kesler wins the Selke... I mean, you can't even spell Kesler without Selke.

Norris: Green, Lindstrom, Chara

Pay no attention to the League, it is actually spelled Lidstrom.

lidstrom-thumb-200x160.jpg

SCJ08_04d.jpg

I'm not meaning to call you out on misspelling Lidstrom, I just needed to call attention to the League, at its own awards show, misspelling the name of a player who has won the Norris trophy six times. Green will win it this year.

Also, this post constitutes my pick for your '09 champions.

Pay no attention to the League, it is actually spelled Lidstrom.

Oops. I knew a girl who's last name was Lindstrom, must of mixed it up!

Here's the draft lottery chances for those interested. It'll be done live on Tuesday, Versus in the States, TSN in Canada.

NHL Draft drawing to be conducted Tuesday

Sunday, 04.12.2009 / 7:48 PM / News NHL.com

NEW YORK (April 12, 2009)

-- The National Hockey League Draft Drawing, a weighted system to determine the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, will take place Tuesday, April 14, at 8 p.m. ET at the NHL’s New York City office.

The League will unveil the results of the Draft Drawing live during a 30-minute program produced and televised by TSN in Canada and simulcast on VERSUS in the U.S. The show also will be streamed live on NHL.com and TSN.ca. NHL Network will re-broadcast the Draft Drawing in the U.S. only at 9 p.m., ET.

Clubs that did not qualify for this season's Stanley Cup Playoffs, or clubs that acquired the first-round picks of those non-playoff clubs, will participate. Under the weighted lottery system, the club with the fewest regular-season points will have the greatest chance (25%) of winning the Draft Drawing and will pick no lower than second at the 2009 Entry Draft.

The club selected in the Draft Drawing may not move up more than four positions in the draft order; the only clubs with the opportunity to receive the first overall selection are the five with the lowest regular-season point totals, or those that acquired an eligible club's first-round draft picks. No club can move down more than one position as a result of the Draft Drawing.

The percentage chance of a team being selected in the Draft Drawing:

NY Islanders 25.0%

Tampa Bay 18.8%

Colorado 14.2%

Atlanta 10.7%

Los Angeles 8.1%

Phoenix 6.2%

Toronto 4.7%

Dallas 3.6%

Ottawa 2.7%

Edmonton 2.1%

Nashville 1.5%

Minnesota 1.1%

Buffalo 0.8%

Florida 0.5%

The 2009 NHL Entry Draft will take place at Bell Centre in Montreal on Friday, June 26 (round one) and Saturday, June 27 (rounds 2-7).

Personally, even though they are divisional rivals, I'm rooting for Colorado. Tavares would make a good heir to Sakic.

How hilarious is it that Boston and Montreal meet... AGAIN!?!

If Montreal had Markov in the lineup, and if everyone on the team were playing to their potential - I would like Montreal's chances against Boston. But honestly, with all that Montreal has gone through in the last couple of months, and without Markov, the habs don't have much of a chance.

It will definitely be a pretty exciting series though, without a doubt.

Datsyuk is by far the best defensive forward. Just look at his takeaways (leads the league) and plus/minus (leads the league).

Plus, he's top 5 in scoring.

That's true. Datsyuk is a great 2-way player... however, I see +/- as more of a team stat.

Regardless, how awesome are some of these matches? Montreal vs Bruins... The battle of Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh vs Philly... and for the first time since the days of the Oakland Seals, two Californian teams have met in the playoffs, San Jose and Anaheim! I'm very excited. :yay

That's true. Datsyuk is a great 2-way player... however, I see +/- as more of a team stat.

Regardless, how awesome are some of these matches? Montreal vs Bruins... The battle of Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh vs Philly... and for the first time since the days of the Oakland Seals, two Californian teams have met in the playoffs, San Jose and Anaheim! I'm very excited. :yay

Is that right? Sharks and Avs (or Kings for that matter) have never met in the playoffs?

I think the matchups are all great. The only mismatches I see are Bruins/Habs and Caps/Rangers.

Is that right? Sharks and Avs (or Kings for that matter) have never met in the playoffs?

I think the matchups are all great. The only mismatches I see are Bruins/Habs and Caps/Rangers.

No, at least that's what they were reporting on the Team 1040 last week. The Oakland Seals met the LA Kings once in 1968-69, and that's it, apparently. If anyone can correct me, I will admit being wrong.

However, while we're correcting each others spelling, pssssttt, Avs = Avalanche. :)

The NHL loves Washington...Chara will probably be the Norris snub of the year.

However, is Mason wins the Vezina and the Calder I will be pissed. The Calder is all his, but Thomas owns the Vezina.

I'm itching for some playoff hockey. This week is moving sooo slowly.

The NHL loves Washington...Chara will probably be the Norris snub of the year.

However, is Mason wins the Vezina and the Calder I will be pissed. The Calder is all his, but Thomas owns the Vezina.

I'm itching for some playoff hockey. This week is moving sooo slowly.

I'm sure that Chara will be a Norris finalist, but the voters usually give the award to the highest scoring defenseman. Green's 30 goals are the most goals scored by a d-man in a long time. It's rarely given to a defensive-defenseman, and Chara's points don't even put him into the top 10 for D-men.

I'm also itching for the playoffs to start. It sucks to not have scores/highlights to look at on a daily basis. The 2nd season is the best.

I'm sure that Chara will be a Norris finalist, but the voters usually give the award to the highest scoring defenseman. Green's 30 goals are the most goals scored by a d-man in a long time. It's rarely given to a defensive-defenseman, and Chara's points don't even put him into the top 10 for D-men.

I'm also itching for the playoffs to start. It sucks to not have scores/highlights to look at on a daily basis. The 2nd season is the best.

Chara's a terrific defender, and I wouldn't have a problem if he won it, but this is Green's year. 30 goals (actually 31) is pretty awesome for a D-man, and he did it in 68 games. He also is among the league leaders in +/- (ahead of Chara, no less) and ice time per game (although Chara has a slight edge here).

I think Green doesn't get enough credit for his defense sometimes because his offensive game is so good. He's not as good a straight defender as Chara is, but he's got a great all-around game.