NHL Offseason 2009

The Kane comment was in response to Willie Mitchell saying every one of Kane's goals is lucky. I loved the kid's remark: he took a jackass comment by a mediocre veteran and made a joke out of it.

As for Byfuglien, he made life hell for Luongo and it was a beautiful thing. Luongo is one of my least favorite goalie's due to his constant cry-baby stuff like threatening to retire if they make the nets bigger. Grow up and be a role model, let alone a captain like your team made you.

I like the Canucks, but have very little respect for a handful of their players. If they can keep the twins and Luongo they'll be great for years.

I wouldn't call Mitchell overrated. Just ask Jerome Iginla. He's one of the best defensive defensemen in the league and he stepped it up offensively this year.

Kane does get a lot of lucky goals.

You really think they would make a goalie captain if he wasn't a role model/leader? :mellow

Anyways, sorry to my Boston friend. Wings vs Penguins repeat this year, probably. Hmmm... Go Pens?

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm secretly a diehard Wings fan.

They'll probably win the cup again, what a team. I keep expecting them to fall apart but they never do!

I'm secretly a diehard Wings fan.

They'll probably win the cup again, what a team. I keep expecting them to fall apart but they never do!

I don't know how they do it. Osgood is very suspect in goal, and their shorthanded unit is steaming along at about 70%.

Should be a great matchup against the Hawks. I think I'm going to be at game 3 in Chicago.

Edit: WTF is with the Wings/Hawks schedule? Lots of days off! Dammit - game 3 is on Friday - same night as my rehearsal dinner. Can't skip that - bride to be would be PISSED. hm...

So, predictions for the Conference finals?

Wings in 5.

Pens in 7.

I'm a die hard Wings fan, but I don't think there is any way that we will finish the Hawks in 5. Their powerplay has been seemingly unstoppable lately and they are peaking at the right time. Either way I'm stoked for an Original 6 western finals. I hope it sparks a new rivalry between them, after all they should be the biggest rivalry out there. Divisional opponents, close proximity, Original 6, etc.

I'm a die hard Wings fan, but I don't think there is any way that we will finish the Hawks in 5. Their powerplay has been seemingly unstoppable lately and they are peaking at the right time. Either way I'm stoked for an Original 6 western finals. I hope it sparks a new rivalry between them, after all they should be the biggest rivalry out there. Divisional opponents, close proximity, Original 6, etc.

The rivalry was there for a long time, and it will come back... seems like it kind of has already to me in a lot of ways. I am a long time Hawks fan, but I really do think the Blackhawks take the Wings in 6. I've been watching them since he early 80's, and even with those great early 90's teams with Belfour, Chelios, Roenick, etc THIS is the best Blackhawks team I have EVER seen. The youngest team in the NHL and already so skilled and refined in their play. I'm calling it now. Blackhawks win the cup...

Pens in 6 too.

The rivalry was there for a long time, and it will come back... seems like it kind of has already to me in a lot of ways. I am a long time Hawks fan, but I really do think the Blackhawks take the Wings in 6. I've been watching them since he early 80's, and even with those great early 90's teams with Belfour, Chelios, Roenick, etc THIS is the best Blackhawks team I have EVER seen. The youngest team in the NHL and already so skilled and refined in their play. I'm calling it now. Blackhawks win the cup...

Pens in 6 too.

Don't want to cause conflict but the Hawks won't win the cup this year. They're a good young team and they're only going to get better in the next few years (until all those rookie contracts expire and the salary cap tears the team apart :() but I don't see them getting past Detroit and if they did they don't match up well against the Penguins or the Canes. Crosby > Toews. Malkin > Kane. Hell, I'd take Fleury over the Bulin Wall. The Hawks will win the cup but not in 2009. Give it time.

Course, Phoenix (Hamilton??), LA, and St. Louis all have really going, young, teams too... the West is going to get really interesting in the next few years.

Anyways, I know I'm jumping the gun here a bit but IF the Pens and Wings meet up again, it'll be the first time since 83+84 when the Islanders and the Oilers met. I see some parallels there.

Don't want to cause conflict but the Hawks won't win the cup this year. They're a good young team and they're only going to get better in the next few years (until all those rookie contracts expire and the salary cap tears the team apart :() but I don't see them getting past Detroit and if they did they don't match up well against the Penguins or the Canes. Crosby > Toews. Malkin > Kane. Hell, I'd take Fleury over the Bulin Wall. The Hawks will win the cup but not in 2009. Give it time.

Course, Phoenix (Hamilton??), LA, and St. Louis all have really going, young, teams too... the West is going to get really interesting in the next few years.

I hear you. But I'm calling it now. Hawks win the cup. I disagree with you on the finals match-ups. If they beat the Wings, all things considered, they should win it all. Like I said... the BEST Blackhawks team I have ever seen... not that that means they will win it all, but they have very few weaknesses, except for youth, and that lack of "affectation" seems to be serving them positively in the playoffs.

Just think how much better they're going to get! Scarrrryyy.

But the sad part is, the cap works against teams like this. You draft players, develop them, and then lose them because you just can't afford them under the salary cap. But Chicago is such a good market maybe those kids will give them some hometown discounts... maybe.

I hear you. But I'm calling it now. Hawks win the cup. I disagree with you on the finals match-ups. If they beat the Wings, all things considered, they should win it all. Like I said... the BEST Blackhawks team I have ever seen... not that that means they will win it all, but they have very few weaknesses, except for youth, and that lack of "affectation" seems to be serving them positively in the playoffs.

I agree with the fact that it's the best Blackhawks team in awhile, surely the best I've seen and I also grew up watching them in the early 90's. Not only is the organization great on the ice but I also have great respect for their front office and coaching staff, Quinnville is a great coach and with Bowman moving to chicago to put his hat in the ring they only got better in that aspect. As a hockey fan I like these guys chances at the cup in the next few years, as a Wings fan I hope they fail whenever they meet us. But it would be nice to have a team in the central compete during the regular season points wise.

Just think how much better they're going to get! Scarrrryyy.

But the sad part is, the cap works against teams like this. You draft players, develop them, and then lose them because you just can't afford them under the salary cap. But Chicago is such a good market maybe those kids will give them some hometown discounts... maybe.

If I'm not mistaken they can lay on heavy bonuses and tons of extra pay in the playoffs (assuming they make it there) as those don't affect the cap. So that could be another option for 'em.

Eeh I don't know how much extra you can pay a player in the playoffs but if it's true, so can every other team. Seeing the face of your franchise walk is common place in the new NHL. Look at Marian Gaborik in next 45ish days. Look at the Ducks, they couldn't even fit rookie Bobby Ryan under the cap at the beginning of the season because all those young players, Getzlaf and Perry, have moved off their rookie contracts. Hell, they had to trade Schneider just to fit under the cap. Do you think they could have used him against Detroit when they were scrambling to get their puck out of their own end??? Do you think Florida really wants to let Jay Bouwmeester walk??

The window for teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago are short. You have Gary "I'm Too Busy Saving A Franchise That Is Horribly In Debt" Bettman to thank for that.