NHL Offseason 2009

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't catch Friday's game, but finally watched Kronwall's hit on Havlat. I have no idea why he was given a 10 minute misconduct for that - looked like a clean hit. I was expecting a high cross check or something with the stick. It was an iffy interference major as well - the puck was right there...

I would be nervous of handing over the fulltime goalie reins to Huet next year...

Regarding the NHL being a joke... I just heard that the finals won't start until June 5 because of some deal worked out with NBC. That's ridiculous. There's going to be more than a week off in between the conference finals and the league finals.

The NBC deal is bullshit. The NBC broadcasts themselves are shit. Bettman needs to resign and then they need to get someone in there that can the NHL on ESPN. Or get CBC and TSN in every American household. That'd be nice.

Patrick Roy, has been offered the GM and head coach position of the Colorado Avalanche. :mellow

EDIT: If the conference finals wrap up by Wednesday the finals could start as soon as Saturday.

The NBC deal is bullshit. The NBC broadcasts themselves are shit. Bettman needs to resign and then they need to get someone in there that can the NHL on ESPN. Or get CBC and TSN in every American household. That'd be nice.

Patrick Roy, has been offered the GM and head coach position of the Colorado Avalanche. :mellow

EDIT: If the conference finals wrap up by Wednesday the finals could start as soon as Saturday.

I'm in favor of anything that gets McClain and Cherry on my TV.

And it's good to see Patty back with the Avs. Maybe he and Kenny Holland can go mano-a-mano. Holland would kick his ass.

YES!! NO WEEK LONG WAIT! THANK YOU DARREN HELM!

Damn the Wings have so much depth it's insane. Really shows you the importance of not only drafting well but developing.

Isn't this the first rematch since '83-'84? That's pretty cool. Pittsburgh has gotta be just frothing at the mouth for it. And Crosby gets to leave Lemieux's house for a couple of days.

Yeah I don't really get all the people who are turned off by this matchup, or who keep calling it boring. For starters, you've got recent history and bitterness between these two storied franchises (and the whole Hossa thing), plus arguably four of the five best and most exciting forwards in all of hockey.

I'll be rooting for the Pens, but the Red Wings are always fun to watch as well.

Yeah I don't really get all the people who are turned off by this matchup, or who keep calling it boring. For starters, you've got recent history and bitterness between these two storied franchises (and the whole Hossa thing), plus arguably four of the five best and most exciting forwards in all of hockey.

I'll be rooting for the Pens, but the Red Wings are always fun to watch as well.

Exactly. Everyone take note, Lodestar knows what is going on.

I think it'll be tons of fun. Its always fun around here when a Detroit team gets so far. (Which is why February sucks around here). Sports radio here has a consensus of Detroit in 5. We'll see.

I think it'll be tons of fun. Its always fun around here when a Detroit team gets so far. (Which is why February sucks around here). Sports radio here has a consensus of Detroit in 5. We'll see.

That Games 1 and 2 were moved to this coming weekend, combined with the fact that they're back to back, works very well in Pittsburgh's favour I think.

Detroit in 5 would surprise me personally, though I thought the Penguins had a decent shot at winning last year as well.

I think Pitts will put up a better fight than 5. Crosby and Malkin are better players this year and I have much more confidence in Fleury. Their D is a lot faster this year as well. They're a more experienced team this year and I think it will show. Plus, two words..... BILL GUERIN.

That kind of shameless support is the reason I both love and hate sports radio. 5 games would be a miracle, I think. Maybe 7 but Pittsburgh looks hungry. Selfishly I hope the Wings win because the parties don't end with as much swearing and fewer girls end up crying. There's still the same number of cops, but they seem friendlier while giving you the noise complaint.

• 2 weeks later...

This series is soo back-and-forth. Pens looked so dominate at first but then Helm scored that goal and the momentum completely changed.

Babcock's post-game comments about the age of his team was priceless. :lol

It will be interesting to see if the Pens regain their composure for Game 6. The stupid penalties they started taking toward the end of the second period sealed their fate last night. And how freakin' awesome is Datsyuk! He might only play two games and still win the Conn Smythe!

It will be interesting to see if the Pens regain their composure for Game 6. The stupid penalties they started taking toward the end of the second period sealed their fate last night. And how freakin' awesome is Datsyuk! He might only play two games and still win the Conn Smythe!

Conn Smythe = Osgood or Malkin.

Conn Smythe = Osgood or Malkin.

If the Pens pull this out, Malkin is a lock. If the Wings win, my hunch is that it is between Osgood or Hank Z.

My earlier comment about Datsyuk was half in jest/half serious. He had a tremendous positive impact for the Wings in Game 5. If he had played in games 3 and 4, it could be argued that this series is over and the parade down Woodward would have been today.

Edit: Speaking of parades

Nah, the Pens are good at home, it'll go to seven. I'm putting my highly respected Via Chicago reputation on the line... WINGS IN SEVEN.

Nah, the Pens are good at home, it'll go to seven. I'm putting my highly respected Via Chicago reputation on the line... WINGS IN SEVEN.

GAME SEVEN! GAME SEVEN! THIS IS THE MOST EXCITING THING TO EVER HAPPEN!!!!!! :rock :dancing :thumbup :w00t :cheekkiss :cheers :lol :yay

A seventh game? A possible omen that a seventh Canadian team in imminent?