Wilco Milwaukee 2009-04-14

Great stuff tonight. Looking forward to tomorrow.

According to Jeff ("For real"), there'll be a photoshoot at 5pm tomorrow of the line waiting to get into the Pabst. Get there early.

I'll leave the setlist to other more accurate folks. Pot Kettle Black was great.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phenomenal show. I'm not going to attempt the setlist either, though I'll say it was pretty heavy on YHF and A Ghost is Born (no complaints on either!). Was disappointed that they didn't play anything off Being There, and then for a final encore they brought it home with Kingpin. Awesome!

Jeff was all about the Wisconsin love tonight. He commented on his gig last night at the Brewer game and even came out for the encores wearing a Brewer hat, drawing boos from the many Cubs fans in the audience. All in good fun...

He also said that he still smelled like a ball park because he "ran into someone eating a hot dog." He said it got all over him and the smell was reminiscent of mostaccioli schnapps (?). And he complained that it isn't fair that the Chorizo sausage has to wear the sombrero during the race. Guess that was him, then.

I have to vent a little now, and I realize that I am preaching to the choir and the people reading and posting on here are not the offenders I'm referring to. Why do people spend good money to see a band only to talk throughout the entire show? It was infuriating tonight and all around me--it wasn't just some isolated people that I could tap on the shoulder and politely ask to stop talking. It's like these people thought they were in a bar and were trying to talk above the music. I don't understand. And I honestly expected more from the crowd at the Pabst. When Wilco's on stage there is nothing that can ruin the show for me, however, it would be so much nicer to enjoy the music without the distraction of chatter all around.

All right, sorry, had to get that out. Tonight was a blast and I am really looking forward to tomorrow!

The most rockin' show I've ever seen from Wilco. Barely any slow songs at all. Kinda boring setlist overall, but I didn't mind too much, since I hadn't seen them in a while. Only two new songs ("Wilco the Song" and "I'll Fight). "One by One" and "Box Full of Letters" were nice surprises. Very energetic show all around.

Oh yeah...hey Chicago folks -- stay home if you're gonna boo a guy in a Brewers hat when you're in Milwaukee. Yes, he was pandering, but we love it.

The crowd wasn't bad near me, but there was some chatting going on, and lots of $3 Pabsts being passed around. The guy from Hawk and a Hacksaw made the mistake of badmouthing Pabst beer to a crowd drinking Pabst beer in the Pabst Theater. Then he started yelling at people who were texting during his performance. I liked them, but they were certainly a tough sell, and they weren't making it any easier on themselves by antagonizing the crowd.

The photoshoot at 5 pm tomorrow is for the album cover. Wear winter coats and look forlorn. Not sure how many people will be outside at 5 pm for a show with reserved seats, but Jeff said they only needed about 30 folks.

P.S. Copies of the new DVD were available at the merch table for $15.

Cool poster and Jeff looks funny with a baseball hat on. Or maybe it's the angle he has it on. Hey, maybe Wilco should name their new album, Don't fucking talk at a Wilco show or something. I hate that too. Nice photos Brian.

First, the Brewers thing: people weren't booing, they were saying, "BREWWWWWWWWW!"

Thanks for the pics--the hat kept sinking lower until Nels popped it to the top of Jeff's head during Kingpin.

It was a nice night at the Pabst, and I always forget what an intimate venue it is. And what a loud venue it is--you can hear everyone, even people 10 rows away, which of course contributes to the "talking" problem other posters are referencing. We were off to the side, about midway back, and it really wasn't bad there. However, I can see how even a handful of talkers in your vicinity could eff things for you.

There was very little banter tonight (Jeff's mention of the ketchup on his jean jacket mixed with sweat smelling like Mostacolli Schnapps was one memorable bit), but the band seemed in good spirits. Just really mellow. Nels, however, was especially animated, doing some version of a jumping jack during one of the songs. Mikael was also pretty animated behind his keyboards, and Glenn gave the obligatory "Before I'm The Man Who Loves You Pose" even though he apparently (still) wants to retire the move for 2009. Along the same lines, Jeff told the audience we didn't have to do what we've always done for "Kingpin." In fact, instead of screaming in response to "How can I?" he suggested we could replace it with something else, such as jumping up and down. After the next call-out, some good sports gave it a try, but Jeff declared that "it sucked" and that sometimes, even though you've done something a million times, you simply have to do it again. Like you mean it. (There was pandering during Kingpin: "Livin' in...Wis-con-sin." That was the pandering pie, the Brewers hat was the cherry on top of the pandering pie.)

I didn't keep track of the setlist, but I'm pretty sure someone on VC got a setlist and will post it. At the point of the second encore, there hadn't been anything from AM or Being There, but then came "Forget The Flowers" and "Kingpin." "Wilco The Song" opened the show, and "I'll Fight" (or Conscript?) sounded great. Still no word on an album title, but Jeff asked for a volunteer to pose on the cover before sharing that he envisioned a Hemispheres imitation, nudity included. This deterred none of the volunteers.

Yes, apparently the photographer will be outside the Pabst at 5pm to take photos of a faux line. There was a request for drab, winter gear from those who plan to participate. You want a line of fans dressed in drab winter gear? Seems like it would be easier to find some of the hundreds of pictures of the Residency lines, but I'm all for the Pabst being on the next album cover.

I have to vent a little now, and I realize that I am preaching to the choir and the people reading and posting on here are not the offenders I'm referring to. Why do people spend good money to see a band only to talk throughout the entire show? It was infuriating tonight and all around me--it wasn't just some isolated people that I could tap on the shoulder and politely ask to stop talking. It's like these people thought they were in a bar and were trying to talk above the music. I don't understand. And I honestly expected more from the crowd at the Pabst. When Wilco's on stage there is nothing that can ruin the show for me, however, it would be so much nicer to enjoy the music without the distraction of chatter all around.

I understand the frustration but I'm wondering where you were located. I was in the first balcony and the audience were very quiet. In fact in the first half of the show there were moments of silence during the quiet musical parts that were amazing.

I was glad the sound was good in the first balcony anyway. It was controlled and they utilized the decent acoustics of the theater. I must admit only two new songs and the fact they seem to be in a comfort zone now, kind of bummed me out. They keep favoring the same songs with this line-up and no new arrangements. I guess he wasn't kidding when he said not a lot of practising lately.

1st show of 2009 was a great one. This was the loosest Wilco performance I have been to in quite some time. I have read so many times on these post show threads about how tight the band was on that particular night. And I always agree. That is what made last nights show different and fun. They were not the hit every note band last night, more get up on stage and work through the kinks. It was fantastic. Jeff mentioned they had been busy finishing their album and other projects and had not had a lot of rehearsel time. He also shared the new Wilco motto, which is the same as the old Wilco motto, "It could be worse." It reminded me of a Bugs Bunny skit. But then again I get most of my high culture from looney toones.

Only the 2 new songs which have been mentioned. No forget the flowers like H. Stone said, def AGIB and Yankee heavy. I rarely comment on crowds because it is all so subjective to where you sit and how you feel on a particular night but I thought the Sconnie crowd was fantastic. Loud, enthusiastic, and full of love. Jeff reciprocated in one of his more natural, relaxed performances. No awkwardness (which I sometimes like) Jeff was smooth.

A poster that features two of my favorite things in the world: Wilco and beer :wub

Even though the mug may be filled with Pabst :yucky (no offense towards the Theater or Pabst lovers out there)

And Lou, John seems to be getting a little thin on top. (referring to the Spector thread)

I understand the frustration but I'm wondering where you wee located. I was in the first balcony and the audience were very quiet. In fact in the first half of the show there were moments of silence during the quiet musical parts that were amazing.

I was in the left side of the orchestra section. It was annoying, but I'm glad to hear that people in other sections didn't have the same issue. That gives me hope for tonight!

Although I agree that this was a more mellow show than others I've seen, this band just never fails to entertain. I've only recently discovered how much fun Pat is to watch--especially during IATTBYH.

I don't have a setlist either (someone does!) but I am 98% sure "Forget the Flowers" was not among the songs played last night.

It was a fun show to kick off the 2009 tour. Seems like a long time since they played Milwaukee, and we definitely got the full complement of Wisconsin pandering. Another comment I liked on the jacket ... after talking about the exact smell of the ketchup/sweat combo Jeff added, "Smells like America!" He seemed to try to attribute that to Nels, but it was hard to discern what was behind that bit of ribbing.

Oh, and maybe this isn't new for 2009, but I hadn't seen it before - Pat has an actual phone (receiver, at least) he pulls out during the appropriate lines in "Hate it Here." Someone should look into getting Jeff some props, too - an actual lawnmower, a broom, perhaps a washing machine. It could take the song to a whole new level.

All in all, great seeing a show again and I love the Pabst as a venue. Looking forward to tonight.

i was also there and i would concur that it was an energetic, loose, fun set. the band was having a good time. Nels was expressive, Jeff humorous as usual and Glenn's atop the drumset pose was great.

Definitely a rocking set, a great warm up to tonight show/webcast.

(ive gotten over the loud-talkative rock crowd. Ive been to different kinds of shows (quiet bands-loud bands) and someone or group of people are always talking. THey just dont get it, nothing i can do)

Being a longtime Brewer fan, I did get a kick out of Jeff wearing a Brewer hat for the encores. and the pandering was funny, he was being nice, but he seems to like WI, how could you not?

anyway, the music, what is the most important, was great. The band is as exciting as ever, entertaining as ever, and i could see them do this for a long time yet.

BTW, Milwaukee fans, a free screening of the DVD will be on April 20th at Turner Ballroom.

Here's a preliminary setlist from memory in case people want to see what they played before someone posts the real thing. I believe I got all the songs, but I'm sure the order is a bit off, especially toward the middle-end of the main set. Very reminiscent of a 2004-2005 show, with tons of YHF and AGIB. Hopefully we get some more '90s material tonight (and some more new songs). Tweedy mentioned that they had not rehearsed much, because they were finishing up the new record.

Wilco the Song, Hummingbird, Muzzle of Bees, At Least That's What You Said, You Are My Face, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, Pot Kettle Black, Ashes of American Flags, One by One, Via Chicago, Conscript (I'll Fight), Impossible Germany, Jesus etc., Handshake Drugs, Theologians, Shot in the Arm

1st encore: The Late Greats, Heavy Metal Drummer, Walken, I'm the Man Who Loves You

2nd encore: California Stars, Hate It Here, Box Full of Letters, Kingpin

this is the only way i can remember:

AM- Box Full of Letters-encore

Being There-Kingpin-encore final song ("livin' in...wis-con-sin")

Ghost is Born-ALTWYS, Hummingbird, Muzzle of Bees, Handshake Drugs, Theologians, The Late Greats

Sky Blue Sky-You are my Face, Impossible Germany, Hate it Here, Walken

Summerteeth-Shot in the Arm, Via Chicago

YHF-IATTBYH, Jesus Etc, Ashes of American Flags (awesome Nels solo!) Heavy Metal Drummer, ITMWLY, Pot Kettle Black

Mermaid Ave-California Stars, One by One

new songs-Wilco the song, I'll Fight

from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Review

Wilco gives sparkling performance

By Jon M. Gilbertson, Special to the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Apr. 15, 2009

When Wilco announced two shows at the Pabst Theater, tickets sold out faster than passes to a job fair promising $80,000-a-year positions to every attendee.

At the first gig, on Tuesday night, the Chicago-based sextet didn't offer anything quite so currently rare as such employment, but it gave a dusty jewel of a performance.

Wilco has long been considered unclassifiable by its fans, which isn't quite true: Many influences were evident, from homespun Woody Guthrie to the crisply spiky punk of Television.

Yet few other bands could combine those influences with the deftness of a street vendor crafting masterpieces from balloons, string and a handful of glitter.

Few other bands have a frontman like Jeff Tweedy, either.

Looking, as always, as though he'd just been roused from a couch nap, then dragged over a hedge backwards, Tweedy sang, as always, as though his soul needed water.

Nevertheless, he made that crusty raggedness work for him, mainly because of the strength of the songs and the skill of the musicians.

Guitarist Nels Cline was a gangly, nervy presence, but his solos consistently goosed selections like the brooding "Via Chicago" and the sprightly "Hummingbird" toward rock splendor, and they also encouraged Tweedy to concentrate harder on his own playing.

Meanwhile, drummer Glenn Kotche was so on top of rhythmic possibilities that it seemed he could make coherent chaos simply by hurtling his sticks toward the kit.

(Bassist John Stirratt, Wilco's only remaining original member besides Tweedy, provided the stability that allowed Kotche his cymbal crescendos.)

And when the entire band converged - or at least drew closely parallel lines - the music exploded beautifully.

"I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" splintered like pieces of that heart; "A Shot in the Arm" ascended toward helpless sadness along Mikael Jorgensen and Pat Sansone's various keyboard pathways; and even "One by One," a tune written around Guthrie's words, fit into the gorgeous patchwork quilt of the set.

Guitars doubled or tripled melodic lines. Noise burst into quiet spaces that just as abruptly shut noise out again. Codas extended the music where words could not go.

Wilco did all this knowing many among the capacity crowd would return on Wednesday.

In these economic times, that's value for money.

Fun Show!

Nice to see some 'ole friends as well.

The Pabst sure kicks ass over the Rave "fish bowl" sound wise. I was all the way near the north wall and could hear a guy clapping to the music (out of time) all the way across the room ( Jeff also fired a glance over there during a quiet part in Ashes, with a grin on his face that looked like, "dude you're going to throw me off with that off time shit") Crazy acoustics.

My favorite song live(if I you can choose) is still Impossible Germany. I just love the three ringed circus of guitar work going on during that solo. They did well on it last night, and there was some interesting nuances during some of the interludes between the verses by Jeff and Pat.

It sure was nice to get a Wilco fix after 7 months.

They were a little, well not rusty but, not as flamboyant as they were last summer. This might be due to their lack of practice, as Jeff stated, but they still sounded like the best band in the entire world, ever. :yes

What a great band.

I missed them.

Here is last night's set list:

Wilco, Pabst Theatre, Milwaukee WI, 4/14/09

Wilco the Song

Hummingbird

At Least That's What You Said

Muzzle of Bees

You Are My Face

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Pot Kettle Black

Ashes of American Flags

One By One

I'll Fight

Via Chicago

Impossible Germany

Jesus, Etc.

Handshake Drugs

A Shot in the Arm

Encore 1:

Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

Theologians

Walken

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Encore 2:

California Stars

Hate It Here

Box Full of Letters

Kingpin

I gotta know -- how was the opener? About how long did they play?

They were absolutely awful. One of the worst opening bands I've ever seen in my day. I could've easily picked a local Milwaukee band that would've been much, much better than a tuba, a trumpet, an accordian and a violin. Most of the songs sounded like a polka band that you could see 5 nights a week in Green Bay. Add to the fact that the accordian guy was telling people to get off their phones and it was just terrible. It lasted about 40 minutes but I only watched about 20 of it.

Oh, and maybe this isn't new for 2009, but I hadn't seen it before - Pat has an actual phone (receiver, at least) he pulls out during the appropriate lines in "Hate it Here." Someone should look into getting Jeff some props, too - an actual lawnmower, a broom, perhaps a washing machine. It could take the song to a whole new level.

he had that @ the riv shows.

i am looking forward to checking my messages this morning :pirate

I gotta know -- how was the opener? About how long did they play?

Ive enjoyed all the openers that wilco has had over the last couple years, but this one...

...not so much

bon iver

jayhawks

soul asylum

That would have been alright.