Wilco Milwaukee 2009-04-14

They were absolutely awful. One of the worst opening bands I've ever seen in my day. I could've easily picked a local Milwaukee band that would've been much, much better than a tuba, a trumpet, an accordian and a violin. Most of the songs sounded like a polka band that you could see 5 nights a week in Green Bay.

Agreed.

Fleet Foxes

Avett Bros

Son Volt (well...)

Low

Pronto (that would be cool)

All would have been better openers

Yeah, I will be across the street drinking tonight during the warm up.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was the new '09 Hate it Here model.

:lol

Good to see Ashes and ALTWYS was played.

But I wish they'd jazz up the setlists a bit....why not throw in a couple covers or less-heard Wilco nuggets (Venus Stop the Train, Panthers, Diamond Claw, Dash 7, Leave Me Like You Found Me...)?

I thought with the new album out soon there would have been a healthy setlist shaking....looks like not so much...I was thinking at least 6 new songs per night would make an appearence...Definatley would be nice to switch out some old standards too...

Good to see Ashes and ALTWYS was played.

But I wish they'd jazz up the setlists a bit....why not throw in a couple covers or less-heard Wilco nuggets (Venus Stop the Train, Panthers, Diamond Claw, Dash 7, Leave Me Like You Found Me...)?

I agree (except for calling "Leave Me..." a nugget). Hopefully, in two months in OKC and the new album either out or imminent, there will be a healthy dose of new material. I would like to see a shakeup of the back catalog songs that are played, too. Except for "Handshake Drugs." That song is a requirement.

Jeff made a comment right before ITMHLY that Glen wanted to retire the intro. Then Jeff said something like "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Jeff also made a few other comments throughout the night to the affect.

Jeff made a comment right before ITMHLY that Glen wanted to retire the intro. Then Jeff said something like "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Then he said "If it ain't broke don't break it." That was enough to get Glen up. I know Jeff probably wouldn't like hearing this...a few songs into the show the girl sitting next to me turned to me and asked, "Do you know if that's his son playing the drums?" I know Glen has that boyish charm thing going on and everything, but, wow! She was pretty shocked when I said he was close to 40. We weren't that far away, either!

Guest Jules
Then he said "If it ain't broke don't break it." That was enough to get Glen up. I know Jeff probably wouldn't like hearing this...a few songs into the show the girl sitting next to me turned to me and asked, "Do you know if that's his son playing the drums?" I know Glen has that boyish charm thing going on and everything, but, wow! She was pretty shocked when I said he was close to 40. We weren't that far away, either!

you should have punched her in the face.

No forget the flowers like H. Stone said

Yep, I meant "Box Full of Records." I'm going to blame it on the 4.5 hours of sleep. Thanks for fixing it.

I have seen Pat use the phone before, and actually last night I made a point of watching for him to grab it but thought he didn't have it. Of course, I could hardly see Pat all night.

For a dissenting opinion...I thought Hawk and a Hacksaw were pretty decent. There was some serious musicianship going on there. It's definitely not for every taste, but unless you're a "meat and potatoes" rock fan only, I recommend giving them a chance. At the very least, check them out yourself rather than taking someone's word for it.

But I agree that the frontman was totally clueless with his snide, antagonistic attitude toward the audience. He acted like he'd never been the opening act for anyone before. You think he would have realized that 1) his music is a pretty tough sell and 2) no one was there to see him, and acted appropriately deferential to the folks who were actually listening.

All of this Hawk & a Hacksaw hatred is about what I expected, but if you like Beirut/Kocani Orkestar/Neutral Milk Hotel, I would give them a shot. I have never seen them live, so maybe they are terrible, but on record, they are one my favorite bands. You just can't expect guitars and typical song structures.

All of this Hawk & a Hacksaw hatred is about what I expected, but if you like Beirut/Kocani Orkestar/Neutral Milk Hotel, I would give them a shot. I have never seen them live, so maybe they are terrible, but on record, they are one my favorite bands. You just can't expect guitars and typical song structures.

Not trying to hate on them, but they literally sounded no different than John Candy's Polka Band in Home Alone.

At times, it seemed like it was 4 people up there who had never played together, or they were playing completely different songs and trying to make it sound good.

I've also never in all my life heard an opening band bitch at the crowd like they have

One of my friends also thought they were the house music playing and not the opening band. Not a good sign.

from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

By Jon M. Gilbertson, Special to the Journal Sentinel

Looking, as always, as though he'd just been roused from a couch nap, then dragged over a hedge backwards, Tweedy sang, as always, as though his soul needed water.

This is a great description.

Sounds like a tremendous show.

It's been a year since the shiny black Wilco bus has stopped around here, and by the looks of it several months before it does. And dammit I've been trying not to think too much about it. I might have to quit the board in the meantime.

Wrong band for the wrong crowd, IMHO. Technique-wise, they were pretty impressive. I've played a little accordian myself and that dude could play. It's not as easy as it looks. And the violinist was pretty impressive as well. Whether or not it sounded like it, the stuff they were playing was pretty technically complicated. Not saying I enjoyed it by any means, but I can appreciate it for what it is. Have to agree, Mr. Accordian's admonishments to the crowd were laughable. Obvious signs that he takes himself far too serious. Lighten up, Francis. All in all, I think a pretty bad choice for opening act.

But who cares? Wilco absolutely rocked. Jeff's voice was the best I've ever heard it sound live. And he was unusually talkative, which made it that much more enjoyable. For real. Seriously! And where can I get some of that mostaccioli schnapps? :cheers

It seems the few openers for big touring shows like this, who haven't gotten butt hurt or gone down in flames have put out a tone of "Oh, hey we're the other band that's playing- which you don't care about. If you half way enjoy us we are so honored."

Opening for big acts is always tough unless you are one.

It seems the few openers for big touring shows like this, who haven't gotten butt hurt or gone down in flames have put out a tone of "Oh, hey we're the other band that's playing- which you don't care about. If you half way enjoy us we are so honored."

Opening for big acts is always tough unless you are one.

so true

cant wait to see grizzly bear open fpr wilco in june nice!