Asheville Roll Call 4/21/09

The wife and I will be there.. I'm hoping to get there in time for at least a :beer or two before the show. Possibly the Bier Garden.. Or Barley's (can't ever go wrong with that place).

I'm trying my best to stay out of the "After the show" threads so I will be completely surprised by the tunes they play.. New songs? Old gems? I want to be surprised, like Christmas morning. :yes

I'll be there with a friend. I'll ask about the places you mentioned but I will have to go to Tupelo Honey at least once while I'm in Asheville...either Tuesday night or Wednesday afternoon. Not sure yet. If we don't meet up beforehand, I think a lot of us have seats near each other.

I'm in with one of my best friends from Chapel Hill. We're driving down, it's the second show for each of us and our last was in 2006. Hyped to say the least.

Glad you can make it. And welcome to the board. :)

I just hope that no one gets too drunk and starts screaming for Jeff to "turn it up"... Or people talking loudly during the quiet parts.. Man, that shit nearly ruined the show for me in Charleston.

But Asheville is more of a laid back town where every show I have been to, folks are there to enjoy the music, not get trashed. We'll see.

I just hope that no one gets too drunk and starts screaming for Jeff to "turn it up"... Or people talking loudly during the quiet parts.. Man, that shit nearly ruined the show for me in Charleston.

But Asheville is more of a laid back town where every show I have been to, folks are there to enjoy the music, not get trashed. We'll see.

You might as well just assume it's going to happen at every show these days. I've been listening to the Cary, NC recording a lot lately and you can hear this one girl talking in almost every song. I'm glad I wasn't near her.

I'll be making the short drive from Knoxville to see the show. Does anyone from Asheville know of any good record stores in the area? I plan to get into town a little early and try to find some places that sell vinyl, because I've pretty much exhausted the options here in Knoxville.

You might as well just assume it's going to happen at every show these days. I've been listening to the Cary, NC recording a lot lately and you can hear this one girl talking in almost every song. I'm glad I wasn't near her.

Yeah, unfortunately you're probably right. I'm sure there will be an ass clown or two, talking the whole time. :angry

Literally, the only reason I didn't tell that guy at the Charleston show to "sit the fuck down" because he was so drunk, he would have probably picked a fight with me... I really didn't want to get kicked out of a Wilco show, so early in the set.

But why am I posting about this? I should be stoked about the show. I'll stop ranting now and be stoked. :dancing

I'm in for Knoxville through Asheville, What a great city Asheville is. There's a million things to see and do right by the venue including a record store a few blocks away. Keep us posted for any pre or post show hangouts.

I'm in for Knoxville through Asheville, What a great city Asheville is. There's a million things to see and do right by the venue including a record store a few blocks away. Keep us posted for any pre or post show hangouts.

I agree, Asheville is a fine city indeed and I try to go there any chance I get. I'm seeing Band Of Horses there in June. I had the choice between Charlotte, which is closer and has a better venue, but I still chose Asheville.

Asheville just has this overall laid back, artsy, friendly, vibe about it. I guess it's all the Fountain Dancers that live there. :lol

I'll be making the short drive from Knoxville to see the show. Does anyone from Asheville know of any good record stores in the area? I plan to get into town a little early and try to find some places that sell vinyl, because I've pretty much exhausted the options here in Knoxville.

Almost Blue used to have the best vinyl in town. It is located pretty close to the Wolfe. I cannot wait for the show. I hope they open with Wilco, The Song.

Anyway.......

I agree, Asheville is a fine city indeed and I try to go there any chance I get. I'm seeing Band Of Horses there in June. I had the choice between Charlotte, which is closer and has a better venue, but I still chose Asheville.

Asheville just has this overall laid back, artsy, friendly, vibe about it. I guess it's all the Fountain Dancers that live there. :lol

Greenville is closer to Charlotte than to Asheville? Wow, I really need to brush up on my geography. :lol

Just thought I'd pass along this information I got from my friend who's very familiar with Asheville (and who will be coming with me to the Wilco show tomorrow).

I honestly know nothing about Barley's, so I have no idea how the food is. I always try to hit up Tupelo Honey and/or Salsa's for food when there (but, both are small). There are 2 larger sized pubs/restaurants that I have been to in downtown Asheville to get beer, however I don't know if I have eaten at either one. I know of others who have and say they are good, but that is all heresay. The ones that I know of are Jack of the Wood and the Bier Garden. Both could accomodate more people, are close to the Civic Center (The Bier Garden is actually on Haywood Ave- I think and Patton is not very far). Jack of the Wood is kind of like an old English/Irish pub, but they brew their own beer there (however, if they have bands they sometimes charge covers, but that is not usually until later in the night) and then The Bier Garden (actually, I think I have had appetizers there and they were good) has all kinds of food.

I think that Barley's is near the Orange Peel (don't hold me to it), so it is walkable from the Civic Center, just a little bit more of a walk. I know there is public parking (the Civic Center garage) right past the Civic Center and then another garage on Wall St. There may be others but those are the 2 garages I know of.

Harvest Records is in West Asheville and is a great record store. http://www.harvest-records.com/records.php

You can also try Static Age Records on Lexington Ave downtown. http://www.staticagerecords.com/wp/

Almost Blue used to have the best vinyl in town. It is located pretty close to the Wolfe. I cannot wait for the show. I hope they open with Wilco, The Song.

Anyway.......

Almost Blue has been out of business for at least a couple of years now. But if you want to grab a drink, the Thirsty Monk is in the location that used to be Almost Blue. Upstairs is an American Pint House, and downstairs is all Belgian beer. I spend entirely to much money at this place. http://www.monkpub.com/

I honestly know nothing about Barley's, so I have no idea how the food is. I always try to hit up Tupelo Honey and/or Salsa's for food when there (but, both are small). There are 2 larger sized pubs/restaurants that I have been to in downtown Asheville to get beer, however I don't know if I have eaten at either one. I know of others who have and say they are good, but that is all heresay. The ones that I know of are Jack of the Wood and the Bier Garden. Both could accomodate more people, are close to the Civic Center (The Bier Garden is actually on Haywood Ave- I think and Patton is not very far). Jack of the Wood is kind of like an old English/Irish pub, but they brew their own beer there (however, if they have bands they sometimes charge covers, but that is not usually until later in the night) and then The Bier Garden (actually, I think I have had appetizers there and they were good) has all kinds of food.

I think that Barley's is near the Orange Peel (don't hold me to it), so it is walkable from the Civic Center, just a little bit more of a walk. I know there is public parking (the Civic Center garage) right past the Civic Center and then another garage on Wall St. There may be others but those are the 2 garages I know of.

Barleys focus is on beer and Pizza, and yes they are close to the Orange Peel on Biltmore Avenue. They have the best selection of local brews in Asheville, and their pizza is fair to good. They have pool and darts and more beer upstairs. Jack of the Wood is a great pub that has the typical pub fare as far as food is concerned. I'm not a huge fan of the Bier Garden, but it is really close to the venue, but pretty much anything in downtown Asheville is close to the venue. As far as food, Salsa's and Tupelo Honey are both good. I also like the Noodle Shop, Wasabi for sushi, Mela for Indian, Bouchon for French bistro food, Zambra for Tapas and I have heard good things about Cucina 24 for Italian but I haven't been. If anyone has any other Asheville related questions, let me know.

Almost Blue has been out of business for at least a couple of years now. But if you want to grab a drink, the Thirsty Monk is in the location that used to be Almost Blue. Upstairs is an American Pint House, and downstairs is all Belgian beer. I spend entirely to much money at this place. http://www.monkpub.com/

Wow, all Belgian beer? See, you know you're in a great "beer lovers city" when you've got a bar that serves ALL Belgian beer.

Barleys focus is on beer and Pizza, and yes they are close to the Orange Peel on Biltmore Avenue. They have the best selection of local brews in Asheville, and their pizza is fair to good. They have pool and darts and more beer upstairs. Jack of the Wood is a great pub that has the typical pub fare as far as food is concerned. I'm not a huge fan of the Bier Garden, but it is really close to the venue, but pretty much anything in downtown Asheville is close to the venue. As far as food, Salsa's and Tupelo Honey are both good. I also like the Noodle Shop, Wasabi for sushi, Mela for Indian, Bouchon for French bistro food, Zambra for Tapas and I have heard good things about Cucina 24 for Italian but I haven't been. If anyone has any other Asheville related questions, let me know.

Ok, thanks. I have been to Tupelo Honey and very much enjoyed it. We are leaning towards Jack of the Wood I think.