Madden retires from broadcasting: 'It's time'

NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol said Thursday that John Madden is retiring from broadcasting.

The 30-year NBC veteran Hall of Fame coach is often considered the most honored broadcaster in television sports history

"It's time," Madden said. "I'm 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I'm home and, more importantly, when I'm not ..."

Madden continued: "It's been such a great ride. ... The NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion -- it still is. I appreciate all of the people who are and were such an important part of the most enjoyable, most fun anyone could have... that great life with the teams, the players, the coaches, the owners, the League ... my broadcasting partners Pat and Al ... the production people and the fans ... is still great ... it's still fun, and that's what it makes it hard and that's why it took me a few months to make a decision."

Madden has served as the game analyst for NBC Sunday Night Football since 2006 and has won 16 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Sports Analyst/Personality. His video game Madden NFL Football is the No. 1 selling sports video game of all-time.

"I still love every part of it," he said. "The travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people... but I know this is the right time."