Red Rocks Roll Call

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got reserved in row 27 and a pair of GA. Haven't been to Red Rocks yet. Is the GA section in the front of row 25??

As usual, GA is the front rows and the back. The reserved is in the middle, yes, but this is, sonically, the "sweet spot" at Red Rocks. The reserved always surrounds the soundboard, and is the area where you can hear the most clearly, even on a windy night, which changes things for the upper rows, especially. The lower GA section is fun, but generally the sound is a bit muddier that close, as the PA (vocals) is aimed to reach the whole venue, a bit above the front rows.

That said, Red Rocks is a great place to see a show, the sound is generally quite good everywhere, and even the lackluster sound at the LAST Wilco Red Rocks show (a very windy night) did not ruin it. There are very few bad seats at Red Rocks.

For the out of towners, do plan on spending some time having drinks in the parking lot, but bring a beer or two with you when you walk up to the entrance, it is a bit of a hike, and generally they don't make you throw out drinks until you reach the gate - which is up a big flight of stairs (on both sides). This walk can be a whole lot of fun, as everyone is feeling "merry" and getting excited for the show to start. Also - they allow you to bring food (sealed) and bottled water (sealed) and a bag/backpack into the venue (as of last year anyway - the food thing may have changed). My wife and I usually bring some crazy creek chairs (the low-back, foldable ones) in, as the seats are benches (nice, deep benches - set into the row behind them...pretty nice actually), and a blanket or two - it can get cold after sunset, even in July. Also, at that time of year it is not uncommon to have rain in the evening. It generally clears up pretty quickly, but we get some cloudbursts around 5:00ish - bring a rain jacket! Beautiful scenery too - bring your camera!

Overall, RR is a fun, beautiful, relaxed place to see a show - enjoy, and don't stress over GA/Reserved, whatever - I have always been able to get where I need to be at RR shows.

As usual, GA is the front rows and the back. The reserved is in the middle, yes, but this is, sonically, the "sweet spot" at Red Rocks. The reserved always surrounds the soundboard, and is the area where you can hear the most clearly, even on a windy night, which changes things for the upper rows, especially. The lower GA section is fun, but generally the sound is a bit muddier that close, as the PA (vocals) is aimed to reach the whole venue, a bit above the front rows.

That said, Red Rocks is a great place to see a show, the sound is generally quite good everywhere, and even the lackluster sound at the LAST Wilco Red Rocks show (a very windy night) did not ruin it. There are very few bad seats at Red Rocks.

For the out of towners, do plan on spending some time having drinks in the parking lot, but bring a beer or two with you when you walk up to the entrance, it is a bit of a hike, and generally they don't make you throw out drinks until you reach the gate - which is up a big flight of stairs (on both sides). This walk can be a whole lot of fun, as everyone is feeling "merry" and getting excited for the show to start. Also - they allow you to bring food (sealed) and bottled water (sealed) and a bag/backpack into the venue (as of last year anyway - the food thing may have changed). My wife and I usually bring some crazy creek chairs (the low-back, foldable ones) in, as the seats are benches (nice, deep benches - set into the row behind them...pretty nice actually), and a blanket or two - it can get cold after sunset, even in July. Also, at that time of year it is not uncommon to have rain in the evening. It generally clears up pretty quickly, but we get some cloudbursts around 5:00ish - bring a rain jacket! Beautiful scenery too - bring your camera!

Overall, RR is a fun, beautiful, relaxed place to see a show - enjoy, and don't stress over GA/Reserved, whatever - I have always been able to get where I need to be at RR shows.

Thanks for sharing all the info and painting a picture for me. You've somehow made me even more excited and anxious to make this trip. What time does the lot usually open, what time does people start lining up at the gate to steak out good GA seats?

I just got an email from Frontgate saying that the GA2 and GA0 don't really mean anything. GA is GA.

I'm hoping for no openers...."An Evening With Wilco", if you will.

Says : With Special Guests" in The Westword (main local arts/events paper)....

Says : With Special Guests" in The Westword (main local arts/events paper)....

Wow, that could be anyone. If it's "The Fray" someone is getting a smackdown.

I ended up getting the GA tickets. I hope to be in line by about noon or so, I'll be the guy with the beer.

Wow, that could be anyone. If it's "The Fray" someone is getting a smackdown.

I ended up getting the GA tickets. I hope to be in line by about noon or so, I'll be the guy with the beer.

Flobots? That could be a fun warmup - though I could see a lot of people not too happy about that.

Flobots? That could be a fun warmup - though I could see a lot of people not too happy about that.

Sadly there are not many Colorado bands I would want to see open. No thanks on the Flobots. Rose Hill Drive would be cool. Son Volt is in town a few days later, maybe....?

Does anyone have suggestions for 4th of July festivities going on in the nearby towns? Can't imagine a prettier place to take in some fireworks with the Rockies as a backdrop.

Looking forward to another holiday weekend there. Last time it was over Labor Day weekend for the couple of shows at The Fillmore. Wonderful times!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have suggestions for 4th of July festivities going on in the nearby towns? Can't imagine a prettier place to take in some fireworks with the Rockies as a backdrop.

Looking forward to another holiday weekend there. Last time it was over Labor Day weekend for the couple of shows at The Fillmore. Wonderful times!

Thanks!

Folsom Field on the CU campus usually does a big fireworks show every year I think. That's right up next to the rockies, or at least the flatirons.

Any more information on an opening act?

Have not heard anything yet. I'm expecting great things.

openers I'd go in to see:

Greensky Bluegrass

Harmonious Junk

Rose Hill Drive

Head for the Hills

Rose Hill Drive would be great, the Colorado crowd would be all over that. Harmonious Junk would be great too. Please no Fray, please no Fray....

Wilcoworld says the Red Rocks opener is Okkervil River. Anybody in Denver have a couch I can crash on? :ermm

Okkervil River, not bad! I bet I could find room although it really would be a couch!

The city of Golden (20 min from RR) does a great fireworks show on the 4th. My wife and I had our rehearsal dinner in Golden on the 4th last year, and all of our guests went to watch it and were pretty impressed. It was great!

Glad to hear its Okkervil River! Great news.

(Wow - do I need a new Adjective or what - I squeezed a whole lotta great into that post...)