"Classic" albums you just don't get

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but the material on it is mostly about coming of age. if you no longer agonize over coming of age it won't sound all that great to you.

This is a great comment, because it invites the question, "what is a 'classic' rock & roll album?" given that the entire genre is based on youth, rebellion, and "primal urges" ("Roll with Me Henry"). If it stands the test of time, it means it has to have permanence beyond the youthful experience, (you "get it" even after you can't get it up) which would negate it's value to the true rock n roll experience.

And a tiny atom under my fingernail could be ...

I have said this repeatedly here, the Beach Boys wrote music for kids, even when they were older it was still teen music. Now they perform for 50 and 60 year olds who want to think they are still kids.

LouieB

I don't know if these albums are teen music exactly. One of the reasons Pet Sounds was considered a failure was due to the fact that the kids did not go for it:

# Pet Sounds (1966)

# Smiley Smile (1967)

# Wild Honey (1967)

# Friends (1968)

# 20/20 (1969)

# Sunflower (1970)

# Surf's Up (1971)

# Carl and the Passions - "So Tough" (1972)

# Holland (1973)

# 15 Big Ones (1976)

# Love You (1977)

# M.I.U. Album (1978)

# L.A. (Light Album) (1979)

I dont think you have to be 17 or remember what it was like to be 17 to be knocked flat by I Just Wasn't Made For These Times. Or That's Not Me. Or You Still Believe in Me. Or God Only Knows. Or Caroline No. Or Here Today. Or I Know There's An Answer.

It's cool if folks don't like it (or "get" it), but it's probably the album that gets me in the gut the hardest. It's my Plastic Ono Band. If that makes any sense. There's not an ounce of filler on there IMO.

(Sorry for turning this into Pet Sounds Debated on VC v14.0)

This may get me kicked off of VC, but I'm not into The Band. I've tried to listen to Music from Big Pink, it's just meh for me.

I love The Band, but I don't listen to that record much. Try the self-titled album, if you're up for another attempt. If you still don't like them after that, then they truly aren't your thing.

The Band actually wrote songs for adults..... :lol

and personally I can't imagine not liking them. I suppose it is not possible to "get" them, but I just can't imagine it.

But then again, that's why these kinds of threads don't make sense since not everyone has to get every kind of music or song.

LouieB

London Calling is great to my ears.

Aeroplane IS all that. Knowing it was inspired by the Diary of Anne Frank makes it even more interesting.

Sgt. Peppers is great 'cause of its vibe. I think it works fabulous as a whole.

How many really think Nirvana is better than Dino Jr.? Seriously...music's subjective, but that's just wrong. I don't dislike Cobain's voice, but J. Mascis voice works VERY well with Dino's sound. He can sing kinda gruff in some songs, very pretty in others.

I'm not sure what "Better" means in this context. Yes, J. Mascis is a better guitarist. Better songwriter? No. Better singer? No. For some reason Dinosaur Jr. is considered the hipper, cooler, or whatever band but I like Nirvana's sonwriting better. I can't imagine Dinosaur Jr. pulling off an unplugged show like Nirvana did. I have never heard a song from Dinosaur Jr. that's as good as "All Apologies". And that's my subjective truth! :D

I'm not sure what "Better" means in this context. Yes, J. Mascis is a better guitarist. Better songwriter? No. Better singer? No. For some reason Dinosaur Jr. is considered the hipper, cooler, or whatever band but I like Nirvana's sonwriting better. I can't imagine Dinosaur Jr. pulling off an unplugged show like Nirvana did. I have never heard a song from Dinosaur Jr. that's as good as "All Apologies". And that's my subjective truth! :D

Ha. This is silly. We all have our OPINIONS.

I prefer Mascis' song-writing AND singing. Nirvana was THE hip band and the music industry in general fawns over Cobain and Nirvana. I could list 10 Dino. Jr. songs I like better than All Apologies.

I think my favorite Cobain performance was when he sang a David Bowie song.

My Bloody Valentine is playing here tonight, but I'm not going. I bought Loveless in college and have never really understood what all the fuss was about.

Listen to "Mind Glow" off of Without A Sound

London Calling is great to my ears.

Aeroplane IS all that. Knowing it was inspired by the Diary of Anne Frank makes it even more interesting.

Sgt. Peppers is great 'cause of its vibe. I think it works fabulous as a whole.

How many really think Nirvana is better than Dino Jr.? Seriously...music's subjective, but that's just wrong. I don't dislike Cobain's voice, but J. Mascis voice works VERY well with Dino's sound. He can sing kinda gruff in some songs, very pretty in others.

I can think of about 10 Nirvana songs I like more than any Dino Jr song. Mascis is a better guitar player sure, but I haven't heard too many Dino songs I'd consider out and out classics. "Freak Scene" and maybe "Little Furry Things" hold upto Cobain's best, but that's about it by my ears.

And for the record, I actually find the David Bowie cover kind of boring, it's better than the original (probably the only Bowie song Nirvana could pull off better than an original) but I find The cover of Leadbelly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" is much more inspiring.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln8XsL6veaU

This is a good one but saying it's better than All Apologies is kind of silly.

As for other overrated albums:

surrealistic_pillow_remast.jpg

Sorry my psychedelic loving friends, never got a lick of anything out of this one.