Asheville NC 4.21.09

Solid show tonight, though it seemed a bit shorter than some of the past shows. Jeff was handed a note before the last song and they ended things there. Not sure who the cute little girl who helped Jeff sing Hummingbird, and do the Hummingbiord dance, but it was beautiful. Other highlights were the massive rock poses prior to I'm the Man Who Loves You and the dueling guitar duet in the middle of Hoo Doo. Little banter from the band tonight, and the room was a bit odd; very long auditorium with seat placed on angles, but not angled enough, if that makes sense.

But Asheville was spectacular and it was nice to see the band outside of Chitown USA

Here's the set list:

Sunken Treasure

Mountain Bed

IATTBYH

Pot Kettle Black

Handshake Drugs

She's A Jar

Impossible Germany

Sad and Lonely

Forget the Flowers

Jesus Etc

Always in Love

Shot in the Arm

Box of Letters

Heavy Metal Drummer

Hummingbird

Encore 1)

Late Greats

Candyfloss

Hate It Here

Walken

ITMWLY

Encore 2)

Misunderstood

HooDoo VooDoo

I'm A Wheel

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooops just was laying donw to sleep and realized they played Late Greats and not Radio Cure.. so replace Radio Cure with Late Greats in the set list... too much driving today

mod edit: fixed it for you!

Agreed solid show! I don't know the little girl's name but I think it was the same girl that I remember helping Jeff sing Hummingbird in Asheville 05 and Chapel Hill 06 because he commented on how she was getting bigger everytime he saw her.

The little girl that helped Jeff sing Hummingbird is Lilac Rain. She goes to every Wilco show when they come to the South. If they play Hummingbird, she helps him sing it. I had the privilege of chatting with Lilac and her parents at the Charleston show. Very nice people. :)

Great show indeed. The band was tight and they seemed like they were having a blast.

Highlights for me:

Candyfloss

Mountain Bed

She's a Jar

Nels and Pat guitar duel during Hoodoo Voodoo

Jeffs comment after the guitar solo on Forget the Flowers that went something like this: "there's a reason why I don't face Nels on stage because if I did he would burn my face off"

Agreed solid show! I don't know the little girl's name but I think it was the same girl that I remember helping Jeff sing Hummingbird in Asheville 05 and Chapel Hill 06 because he commented on how she was getting bigger everytime he saw her.

That moment in the 2005 show is my single favorite moment from any concert I have ever been to. Sorry I missed her encore performance last night.

That's a terrific set list. Candyfloss and Sad and Lonely? That's awesome.

Absolutely.

Also, I was expecting them to play at least one new song. I guess they want to save the new goodies for the album tour.

The little girl that helped Jeff sing Hummingbird is Lilac Rain. She goes to every Wilco show when they come to the South. If they play Hummingbird, she helps him sing it. I had the privilege of chatting with Lilac and her parents at the Charleston show. Very nice people. :)

Thanks! That explains who he was referring to at the Charleston show.

The little girl that helped Jeff sing Hummingbird is Lilac Rain. She goes to every Wilco show when they come to the South. If they play Hummingbird, she helps him sing it. I had the privilege of chatting with Lilac and her parents at the Charleston show. Very nice people.

she and her pops (i imagine it was her pops) were sitting right across the aisle from me. he was putting her up on his shoulders and event staff came up and told him something right before hummingbird started...i thought they were getting busted for having her up there. next thing i know, he puts her down and she walks up to the stage and is helping tweedy sing the song.

very cool. a highlight in a very, very good show. i saw them in knoxville saturday as well, and i thought that was the best show i had seen them play to date. this one, my eighth, was better even than that one.

Great show indeed. The band was tight and they seemed like they were having a blast.

I didn't feel that from the band (having a blast). And the banter last night was "interesting." :omg

Really enjoyed Sad and Lonely and She's a Jar. Pretty damn cool with the internet requests. Who else does that? Thank you Wilco.

I didn't feel that from the band (having a blast).

Are you serious? Standing on the amplifiers? Nels bouncing around like a madman? They just seemed very energized and in good spirits to me. Much more than the last time I saw them in Charleston..

Fantastic show... Partly cuz the band seemed in great spirits, and partly because of the sheer diversity of songs from their entire career. Not only did they hit every album (including both Mermaids) but they gave most of them equal weight... 3 from Being There and Mermaid 1&2, 5 from YHF, and 4 each from Summerteeth, Ghost, and SBS. Hearing the Summerteeth tracks that don't get played as much (Candyfloss, Always In Love, She's A Jar) was a highlight... along with the twin openers from Being There unfurling the main set and the last encore. Nice serendipity.

I don't think the setlist is 100% accurate though. You Are My Face was the 3rd song played (right after Mountain Bed) and Pot Kettle Black was more towards the end of the main set... maybe before Heavy Metal Drummer??

--Rich

Excellent show, after seeing them in Knoxville I didn't think they were going to be able to top that show, and they came out and blew me away again by opening up with two of my favorite songs ever. Not to mention Candyfloss, Box full of letters, and Sad and Lonely. I'm so glad I decided to go to both shows.

I've been perusing over all of the recent set lists and this one has to take the cake. It reminds a lot of the kind of set lists we were seeing last year after the Residency shows.

It was grand indeed. There were several tunes that completely caught me off gaurd.

It's kind of funny that they opened with Sunken Treasure. They have opened with that song the last three times I have seen them, Charlotte, Charleston, and now Asheville. :brow :lol

The little girl that helped Jeff sing Hummingbird is Lilac Rain.

"Lilac rain, unbroken chain, song of the sawhet owl.

Out on the mountain, itll drive you insane, listening to the winds howl"

I wonder if she knows her parents are hippies? Cool name, better than naming your kid Stella Blue or Bertha, for sure.

Ooops just was laying donw to sleep and realized they played Late Greats and not Radio Cure.. so replace Radio Cure with Late Greats in the set list... too much driving today

mod edit: fixed it for you!

Thanks Mod

I didn't feel that from the band (having a blast). And the banter last night was "interesting." :omg

Really enjoyed Sad and Lonely and She's a Jar. Pretty damn cool with the internet requests. Who else does that? Thank you Wilco.

I have to agree. Maybe they're a little tuckered, or maybe there was an early curfew. Seemed like a it of a rush?

Fantastic show... Partly cuz the band seemed in great spirits, and partly because of the sheer diversity of songs from their entire career. Not only did they hit every album (including both Mermaids) but they gave most of them equal weight... 3 from Being There and Mermaid 1&2, 5 from YHF, and 4 each from Summerteeth, Ghost, and SBS. Hearing the Summerteeth tracks that don't get played as much (Candyfloss, Always In Love, She's A Jar) was a highlight... along with the twin openers from Being There unfurling the main set and the last encore. Nice serendipity.

I don't think the setlist is 100% accurate though. You Are My Face was the 3rd song played (right after Mountain Bed) and Pot Kettle Black was more towards the end of the main set... maybe before Heavy Metal Drummer??

--Rich

Rich You are right about You Are My Face. Played right after Mountain Bed.

Was on my set list but forgot it above, maybe our admin can correct.

Pot Kettle Black was right after IATTBYH. That one's right...

I'm never skimping on Asheville again! I wish I had gone. GREAT setlist!

I think *some* of us are a little spoiled after the Residency shows... I only went to two of them (the first two) and I myself feel quite spoiled! But the last few nights have been rockin' nonetheless! Fantastic shows actually. I think we may have had our heads blown last February......

It was a great show and a wonderful setlist. My wife and I had a blast. It was great to see Wilco in Asheville again after a nearly 4 year break. Just hope the next show won't be 4 years away. It was good to say hello to Paul also. Hope they had a safe trip after the concert.