Asheville NC 4.21.09

Thanks to Jen for the phone call during Candyfloss and Hate It Here! It went to voicemail cos I was sleeping, but I got to wake up to it. :)

You're welcome! Glad you got to hear a little bit of the show. I almost forgot my phone was on because I was jamming so hard. hehe

And before anyone asks, yes there was a taper and my friend and I sat right beside him. Very cool to meet him and everyone else I met on my Wilco adventures in Knoxville and Asheville. So sad to see it end but had a blast!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a solid show!

Highlights for me: "Pot Kettle Black", "At My Window Sad and Lonely", and "Hoodoo Voodoo". They were definitely ON last night, and I was so glad to be amoung the happy throngs in Asheville.

It was great to see so many friends, both old and new.

See you next tour!

PS: I totally recommend the chef's special omelet at the Tupelo Honey Cafe. Very yummy!

Was a great time up in the mountains of NC. (Tweedy: "Some nice mountains you've got here.....would be a shame if anything happened to them....that's a warning." - or something along those lines).

I really enjoyed the setlist, but being at the show I kept thinking "I can't remember the songs I wanted to see, but if I didn't think of this one, I should have." The way they were playing, this band could play Mary Had a Little Lamb and tear it up.

Comment by my friend I went with "I love watching Nels solo. It's like someone took a video of a normal person soloing and is playing it back at twice the regular speed."

Highlights - Sunken Treasure opener (you KNEW it was going to be special after that), a sick Hoodoo Voodoo, the drop-in opening to ITMWLY, She's a Jar, and really just a lot of my personal favorites (I'm always happy to see Jesus, Etc. - let's be honest here).

Was my first show in 3 years and only my 2nd overall, definitely won't be that long of a gap until my third.

PS: I totally recommend the chef's special omelet at the Tupelo Honey Cafe. Very yummy!

That place was incredible! I stumbled upon it after a long flight and a long rive from Charlotte. I think it may be the best meal I ever had... DELISH

Hey, that's what I had! :thumbup Biscuits are good too..sweet potato fries, grits...i could go on. But i'll stop. Jack of the Wood was cool, too. So was Chocolate Fetish. Plus, the people of Asheville are just so damn nice! Love that town and so does my debit card.

I've never been to a Wilco show where so many people knew the words to the songs. So, maybe it's not just me after all......other people find those lyrics as amazing as I do. I'm very appreciative to the entire band for pouring so much of themselves into the Asheville show. What a performance! I feel as though I shorted them on the price of my ticket: their efforts were worth twice what I paid to witness them. I didn't even have to shell out 500 bucks for a freakin' VIP ticket (my apologies to U2). Don't know if the band ever checks out this forum, but on the off chance they do I'd like to thank them for a great evening. Thanks also to the members of the Asheville audience (at least, the ones I encountered) who politely tolerated my singing and head bobbing throughout the entire show. One of the common threads that runs through every Wilco show I've been to is the downright thoughtfulness of the people who attend them. Guess that's a testament to the band and the music they make. It goes back to what Jeff told the audience at the end of the Asheville show, "You guys take care of each other."

Also like to mention; I actually really enjoyed Hawk & A Hacksaw. Their music really isn't my bag, but it was interesting to hear something different for a change. Plus the violinist was quite the looker.. And an amazing musician. :)

And oh yeah, I'll definitely be going back to the Bier Garden.. Their selection was excellent. I had the Tommy Knocker Cocoa Porter, which was yummy.. Plus the 10.5% Horn Dog Barley Wine gave me a nice little buzz for the show.. :lol

And oh yeah, I'll definitely be going back to the Bier Garden.. Their selection was excellent. I had the Tommy Knocker Cocoa Porter, which was yummy.. Plus the 10.5% Horn Dog Barley Wine gave me a nice little buzz for the show.. :lol

You looked like you were having a good time! :thumbup

The Porters at Jack of the Wood were quite good, too. And that night, they were super cheap! Something like $2.35 / pint.

Cheers,

Kevin

I was at Jack of the Wood before and after the show. Guess I just kept missing you! Oh well, next time!

Sorry to have missed you Lamrod. I was hoping to meet you, but no dice.

The Porters at Jack of the Wood were quite good, too. And that night, they were super cheap! Something like $2.35 / pint.

Cheers,

Kevin

Maybe next time my friend. :)

We were very rushed this time (not much time to hang out) since it was on a week day, but hopefully next time it'll be on a weekend or something.

Maybe next time my friend. :)

We were very rushed this time (not much time to hang out) since it was on a week day, but hopefully next time it'll be on a weekend or something.

You guys were actually standing within feet of each other in the lobby and didn't know it. :lol

You looked like you were having a good time! :thumbup

I was indeed... I felt bad though that my wife couldn't enjoy the brews with me (her being pregnant and all).. But she said that it's silly for me to have to miss out too.. Plus, there will be plenty of beer catching up to do when she has the baby in August. :)

I did quit smoking though for her.. And that was no easy task. :)

Fun indeed. Here's a preview....

wilco_asheville_505.jpg

charles

Wow. How many times has Lilac gone on stage? I know I've witnessed it 4 times myself. :)

Charlotte, NC

Charlottesville, VA

Chapel Hill, NC

Asheville, NC (4/21)

Thanks for posting this, Charles.

K

You guys were actually standing within feet of each other in the lobby and didn't know it. :lol

Shoot.

Another case where VC identifiers (nametags, buttons, etc.) would have come in handy!

Shoot.

Another case where VC identifiers (nametags, buttons, etc.) would have come in handy!

Yep. You had just walked up and were talking to the other group of VC'ers when Matt and his wife came out of the venue after the opening act. They stopped and talked to me for a second, so it's possible you could have seen them. Anyway, I'm sure we'll all be at the same show another time.

That pic is so great!! That's going to become a classic Wilco photo.. At least for me. :)

Were they sitting on the edge of the stage? We couldn't see them until they did the running part of the song.

Were they sitting on the edge of the stage? We couldn't see them until they did the running part of the song.

Yes, they were really hard to see because of everyone standing. They were sitting on the edge in front of John.

When I saw him walk over to sit down on the edge, I knew he was going to be singing with Lilac. :)

I was at Jack of the Wood before and after the show. Guess I just kept missing you! Oh well, next time!

We were there before the show too.

I wonder if Lilac will be paid royalties if they ever release a show with her as special guest singer?