Sonic Youth. Advice needed.

Could anyone advise me where to start with Sonic Youth. They have always seemed to pass me by I think it's time to give them a shot. Which albums should I start with? I suppose I am after something representative of their output but fairly accessable. Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could anyone advise me where to start with Sonic Youth. They have always seemed to pass me by I think it's time to give them a shot. Which albums should I start with? I suppose I am after something representative of their output but fairly accessable. Any advice greatly appreciated.

You can't go wrong with "Daydream Nation". As far as good accessible stuff, "Goo" fits that for the most part and they are on a roll with their recent albums. "Murray Street", "Sonic Nurse" and "Rather Ripped" are all fantastic. "Dirty" is good too. Have I named them all yet?

For me, Sister is the high point of their older stuff, and Murray Street the high point of their newer stuff.

My first SY album was Washing Machine when it came out in 96ish and liked it. I tried Daydream Nation next as it was usually recommended as being their best, and it didn't really work for me at all. It's one of my favorites now, but it might not be the best starting point.

My top three are Daydream Nation, Sonic Nurse, and Washing Machine. I also like Goo and Rather Ripped. Dirty is probably my least favorite album of the ones I have. I just got Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star a few weeks ago, and it's still sinking in.

I'm itching for them to announce summer tour dates, since they're the only band besides Wilco I want to try to catch a few times.

i would start w/ either _murray street_ or _sonic nurse_ and work backwards.

if you want to start right into choppier waters, _EVOL_ is awesome (as is _Sister_).

i agree with you... Murray Street is a great one to get into SY with...

no it might not be their absolute best, but Daydream took me a bit to get into back in the day, whereas i've found a lot of folks whom i've gotten into SY via Murray St.

If you really start to like their records (including the early weird ones), then you should check out their SYR stuff. I think its pretty sweet stuff, but some of it is out there.

And for starting out in SY, try Daydream and then Sister, and Goo.

My suggestion would be Rather Ripped & Sonic Nurse to start off.

I think they are very acessable and sonic nurse is VERY good.

Sonic Nurse is the one that made them click for me. I liked Dirty in the early 90's but never really fully got on board with them. Then i checked out Sonic Nurse and it made sense.

i have since gone back and gotten a lot of their albums and enjoyed them

Thanks for the help people. Looks like I'll pick up 'Daydream Nation' and 'Murray Street' and go from there. I do have one Sonic Youth track, their cover of Neil Young's 'Computer Age', which is amazing.

Thanks for the help people. Looks like I'll pick up 'Daydream Nation' and 'Murray Street' and go from there.

I think those two are pretty representive of them and a great place to start.

LouieB

Don't get me wrong, Murray Street is great, but I'm just not seeing it as anywhere near a best of artist.

I guess I'll throw my complete 10 cents in since last time I just made a comment about Sister. Sonic Youth started picking up speed in 1986, and kind of dropped off after 1992. After that sporadic SY albums are great.

The block of albums that includes EVOL, Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo and Dirty is really unassailable to me. Those are the albums that made SY legends, and I suggest that anyone/ everyone at least gives those a shot.