Sonic Youth. Advice needed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have, and still can, listened to Teenage Riot on loop for an hour or two straight. I used to have an unhealthy obsession with Disappearer, but it seems to have waned.

I think Daydream Nation and Goo are still sentimental favorites because that's when I got into them. They just never get old to me.

Maybe it's a generation thing but the first Sonic Youth album that I got into was Murray Street. Still my favorite.

I do not find Daydream Nation my favorite.

The Diamond Sea is probably one my favorite all time songs of theirs because I have been lucky to see them do that song twice. It's off Washing Machine.

Any album that has at least 2 cuts with Kim Gordon tend to be some enjoyable to me.

Goo

Washing Machine

Sonic Nurse

A Thousand Leaves.

I also find Dirty a fun album. It is probably their most accessible, and when they had reached some degree of fame on MTV's 120 minutes.

I know they had remastered Goo. I am not sure if all their albums had been remastered.

Someone mentioned Ciccone Youth...another connection a la Sonic Youth is to M.Gira/Jarboe...SWANS. SWANS music is timeless.

Will the Buy Early Get Now promotion still be available online starting tomorrow? The closest shop participating in it is in Rochester, which is two hours away.

I wonder if this is the entire tour? There are some odd gaps. As it stands now, I'll go to either Philadelphia (even though the Electric Factory is a cinderblock shoebox), DC, or Richmond. Either that, or there's a very small chance I may end up at the Minneapolis show.

Yay, Denver on 7/31. I have never seen them live. I got to a Neil Young concert late once and they were the opener. I heard the final few chords and notes as I was walking in and then they were done. I have always regretted not being able to get there in time to see them.

I think I am going to the one in Chicago at the Vic!

Do you have to pre-order the album in order to get in on the presales starting April 30th? I am kind of confused by what their website says.

Guest Hollinger.
Right up there with the last 3? Better? Can't wait!

I don't think it's as good as Rather Ripped, but it is right up there. They are fuckin rolling.

Also, I shall be attending the First Ave show if I can get tickets Saturday.

I'm apparently in the minority since I'm not in love with Rather Ripped. It was my first SY album, and there are a lot of songs on it I like, but it doesn't click for me the way that Sonic Nurse does. I have an iTunes gift card to use up, so I think I'll use it to buy Murray Street, since I've been meaning to.