Sonic Youth. Advice needed.

I'm apparently in the minority since I'm not in love with Rather Ripped. It was my first SY album, and there are a lot of songs on it I like, but it doesn't click for me the way that Sonic Nurse does. I have an iTunes gift card to use up, so I think I'll use it to buy Murray Street, since I've been meaning to.

I don't know any SY fans who prefer RR over Sonic Nurse, really. RR is not bad per se but kinda shallow.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped listening to new Sonic Youth albums after 1000 Leaves. I think I'll remedy that.

Exactly my experience, too. Something about that record just didn't click, and sadly I lost faith in them after that. It seems I should have given them another chance, though.

I suppose you don't know me but I've been listening to Sonic Youth since Evol and I prefer Rather Ripped to Sonic Nurse.

That obviously implies you aren't a true fan. :ohwell

Though War on War has a valid point, Incinerate is a pretty great song. Too bad the rest of the album doesn't live up to it.

Is anybody else having problems with the presale? I'm trying to get a ticket for Philadelphia, and the link for that isn't showing anything about the presale, just when the general sale starts.

Never mind. FYI: the Philly presale is through Ticketmaster, even though the link takes you to Live Nation. I got my ticket :dancing

The Youth are back big time! I'm currently reading Goodbye 20'th Century which is great if you want the whole story.

Oh good. Last week I was going to ask on this thread if there is a good SY bio, then I found out about that book. I didn't know it was out yet.

Rather Ripped is pretty good especially because of the song "Incinerate." It's such a great song!

Yeah, that's just classic Sonic Youth right there.

for me, RR is all about "Pink Steam." best song on it, no question in my mind.

And I agree about Pink Steam

Really? That's about the worst Lee Ranaldo song ever. The verses remind me of a song by EBM-prodigies Covenant (not a compliment when you're SY) & the chorus never really gets off the ground.

Just bought Murray Street, Experimental Jet Set..., and tickets to the Sunday Vic show, today. Looking forward to see them at a smaller place. They only other time I saw them was at a Pitchfork and a Lolla. Only started to listened to them in the last few years ago, which is a shame i waited so long. The only other ones I have are Ripped, Daydream, and Evol. All I think are excellent.

Their web page is to one of the best. So much information. Especially the Gear Guide section and Discography. The info and back story to the Murray Street disc is pretty interesting.

They've added a second show at the 9:30 Club on July 7 and a show in Spokane on July 25.

Also, has anybody else read about the deluxe box set they're releasing for The Eternal in Japan? I don't usually cough up a lot for deluxe editions, but this one looks pretty cool:

On June 3rd Hostess Records, Sonic Youth's new Japanese Label, will release "The Eternal - Sonik Tooth Box" which includes: The Eternal CD (with 2 bonus tracks, lyric translation in JP, liner notes); Bonus live CD (Live at Battery Park); Sonic Death '09 (32p B5 sine zine, artwork by Tomoo Gokita & Sonic Youth, photography by Masayuki Shioda); T shirts (by TOGA NEJICO) and a sticker.

l_b1362be22a7f4f18b6e3175166ba101e.jpg

They've added a second show at the 9:30 Club on July 7 and a show in Spokane on July 25.

Also, has anybody else read about the deluxe box set they're releasing for The Eternal in Japan? I don't usually cough up a lot for deluxe editions, but this one looks pretty cool:

l_b1362be22a7f4f18b6e3175166ba101e.jpg

Wow, any idea what that is going to cost, and where you get it?

On another note, I just learned that:

Teenage riot is about J. Mascis (among other things).

Silver rocket is about Andy Warhol

The Sprawl is about shopping/commercialization of everything

Cross the Breeze is about having sex with the devil

Daydream nation just gets better with every listen.

St. Louis July 17. For free! Under the arch! I might head out for it :dancing

From STL's Riverfront Times:

The rumors floating around town are true: Sonic Youth will be playing a free show under the Arch on Friday, July 17, as part of this year's Live on the Levee series of concerts. Opening is Awesome Color.