• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, I miss the '70s sometimes.

More people die from chicken pocs each year in the USA than this flu is ever going to kill......This is being blown out of proportion to scare us or distract us for some reason.....

Can a healthy person who gets varicella die from the disease?

Yes. Many of the deaths and complications from chickenpox occur in previously healthy children and adults. From 1990 to 1994, before a vaccine was available, about 50 children and 50 adults died from chickenpox every year; most of these persons were healthy or did not have a medical illness (such as cancer) that placed them at higher risk of getting severe chickenpox. Since 1999, states have been encouraged to report chickenpox deaths to CDC. These reports have shown that some deaths from chickenpox continue to occur in healthy, unvaccinated children and adults. Most of the healthy adults who died from chickenpox contracted the disease from their unvaccinated children.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varice...is-faqs-gen.htm

Guest Jules

There is nothing wrong with being overly cautious about something like this. These conspiracy theories are as silly as listing the same album twice while ranking Wilco's albums.

These conspiracy theories are as silly as listing the same album twice while ranking Wilco's albums.

Man, can you give it a rest?.......Did I offend you in some way or do you need to ridicule all forum members that you don't agree with? Let's grow up a little bit.....Just trying to put some perspective on this......

You are skipping the step of the processing in the same plants as the virus exists. The pigs being moved to market and potentially polluting the processing plant. Maybe they package it in the states, but I doubt it. If it's as new and powerful as they say then the food supply must be dealt with. Did I say it was likely to happen? No. But the closest comparison is the bird flu, which was never allowed to get to this stage. China destroyed the birds immediately. So I don't know what will happen. But every other country is taking that precaution but somehow that gets dismissed here but whatever.

It's unlikely to get down to the consumer level but not of contaminating the processing plants. It's insane not to deal with the source, allow open travel to infected areas and then claim you are trying to contain this mystery virus. It's funny you zero in on one point and ignore the other points I have made. Given the recent performance of the FDA you have more faith than I do. You do remember other contaminated food that made it to market right? But somehow this is different because the same govt. tells you it's ok now? The tomato scare was also from the water and this virus supposedly also affected the water so it's not as far as stretch I guess as you think. I hope I am wrong.

And if the plants where they process the pork have faulty sanitation practices, you are at risk for staph or trichinosis, not influenza.

YOU DON'T GET FLU FROM EATING TAINTED MEAT, AND MOST HAM SOLD AS LUNCH MEAT IS COOKED ANYWAY

EFSA is not aware of any scientific evidence to suggest that influenza viruses can be transmitted to humans through the consumption of meat such as pork and pork products. In the event that pigs were exposed to this new virus and it were to be found in meat, cooking pork thoroughly (to an internal temperature of 70
Chan told reporters in Geneva. "It really is all of humanity that is under threat in a pandemic." [/i]

That's martial law for all those not paying attention.

Well, shit man, Jackie Chan is on it!

Plus, under martial law, doesn't Bruce Willis get involved?

Guest Jules
Man, can you give it a rest?.......Did I offend you in some way or do you need to ridicule all forum members that you don't agree with? Let's grow up a little bit.....Just trying to put some perspective on this......

I haven't ridiculed you. Calm down and have a little fun.

Damn man, I’d hate to live in your world - you know, sometimes shit just happens. The media blows everything out of proportion, if it’s not this, then it’s shark attacks or killer bees - but what it isn’t, is some sort of grand conspiracy to distract us from something else.

I live in the same world as you my friend........I don't think you are crazy for what you believe to be truth.......It is called respecting other's opinions.......It is really hard to express oneself or contribute to discussions on this forum without all the sophomoric BS? I never said it was a grand conspiracy. I just provided some perspective on the death rate compared to chicken pocs......I don't care if it's the government or the media doing it, but it is a distraction from other important issues.......I guess shit happens all the time then, according to your responses to anything I've ever posted here on political issues......You might be right because I held the very same opinions you hold on certain matters at one time but I have blended some of what I have learned over the past few years to what I once held as true belief when I was younger.......I have never voted for a Republican in my life and I am a liberal as they come......But I no longer see either party as being different from the other and I have come to believe that most of what you call good old democratic debate is manufactured debate to keep the those in power in power.........Left/right, Liberal/conservative, Democrat/Republican, it's all bullshit.......The only way to change this country is to break that paradigm.......I'm sorry I don't see this so called epidemic as something to worry about.......When taken in perspective you have just as much chance to die from this disease as terrorism, slim to none.....As all flu viruses, they mutate and become weaker as the pass from host to host.......The worst has probably passed......But I wouldn't be surprised if some sinister motive is behind it either political or economical. Sometimes someone is stirring the shit......

I haven't ridiculed you. Calm down and have a little fun.

That's what I have been doing........I have read some clueless posts by others on this forum over time but I don't feel the need to comment on them.......The fact that you commented here on something I posted on another thread in fun took some of the enjoyment out of it for me.......I have a pretty good sense of humor and can roll with the punches as well as the next guy, I just didn't catch your humor........By the way, I'm really and Islander fan so I share hockey futility with you.......

Guest Jules
That's what I have been doing........I have read some clueless posts by others on this forum over time but I don't feel the need to comment on them.......The fact that you commented here on something I posted on another thread in fun took some of the enjoyment out of it for me.......I have a pretty good sense of humor and can roll with the punches as well as the next guy, I just didn't catch your humor........By the way, I'm really and Islander fan so I share hockey futility with you.......

fair enough :thumbup

Antibiotics have come a long way since Penicillin started being used in the 1940's. Most people who died during the 1918 Flu Pandemic died from secondary bacterial infections that could have been cured with antibiotics, had they been discovered.

I really wish the media would quit comparing 1918 with now, it would have been a totally different picture had there been Penicillin.

I also wish the media would let people know that they have a better chance of dying from pretty much EVERYTHING ELSE than they do from Swine Flu.

Antibiotics have come a long way since Penicillin started being used in the 1940's. Most people who died during the 1918 Flu Pandemic died from secondary bacterial infections that could have been cured with antibiotics, had they been discovered.

I really wish the media would quit comparing 1918 with now, it would have been a totally different picture had there been Penicillin.

I also wish the media would let people know that they have a better chance of dying from pretty much EVERYTHING ELSE than they do from Swine Flu.

Even though I know all that and totally agree with you, I still went out and bought a shitload of brown rice, dried beans, water and propane last nite in preparation for a potential martial law and quarantine scenario. If I could come up with a reliable source of Tamiflu, I'd buy a quart.

I'm going out to buy all of the semi-automatic machine guns and Molotov cocktails (they sell those, right?) I can in preparation for all the swine-flu-riddled zombies that will undoubtedly try to beat down my front door in the coming weeks.