• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hong Kong seals off hotel where H1N1 flu found

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idU...lBrandChannel=0

"HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong confirmed Asia's first case of the new H1N1 flu virus in a Mexican traveler on Friday, prompting authorities to seal off the hotel where the 25-year old man had been staying.

Hong Kong Chief Executive Donald Tsang told reporters the man arrived on a China Eastern flight on Thursday afternoon after a stopover in Shanghai.

He had a fever and went to Ruttonjee Hospital for help on Thursday evening, Tsang said. The Mexican is now in hospital in a stable condition.

The confirmation of the H1N1 infection was made by a laboratory at the University of Hong Kong.

"He didn't leave the hotel (except to go to hospital) because he was feeling sick," Health Minister York Chow told a news conference.

Two companions of the Mexican and a friend he met in Hong Kong were now in isolation wards at another hospital, he said.

Tsang said he had accepted the recommendation of government health experts to seal off the Metropark hotel in Wanchai district where the Mexican was staying.

Dozens of police wearing surgical masks stood guard both inside and outside the hotel late on Friday. Hotel guests were prevented from leaving while outsiders could not get in.

"I assure you the Hong Kong government will try its best to conquer the virus," Tsang said. "At the present moment, I would prefer to do it more stringently instead of missing the opportunity to control the spread of the virus."

Chow said the hotel had about 200 guests and over 100 staff and they would be quarantined for seven days. He urged those who were not in the hotel as well as taxi drivers who took the Mexican to the hotel and to hospital to report to authorities."

Marine with swine flu prompts quarantine

About 30 Marines are being segregated from others at Calif. military base

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30483299/

"WASHINGTON - The Pentagon said Wednesday a Marine based in Southern California has been confirmed to be ill with swine flu and is under quarantine, along with about 30 other Marines.

A Marine spokesman at the Pentagon, Maj. David Nevers, said the sick Marine was doing well and his condition continued to improve. Nevers said approximately 30 other Marines who had been in contact with the sick Marine at the Twentynine Palms base will be held in quarantine for five days as well as to see whether they show symptoms."

President Enlists Cabinet to Prepare for a Pandemic

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/02/us/polit...html?ref=health

"WASHINGTON

These are examples of the abuses of authority I was talking about and think Nudie was referring to. We all know this is fake. Yet our Govts. and Govts. around the world are still taking these type of authoritarian steps. Would it not be enough to tell people to stay home if they get sick at this point? It has proven to be non-deadly for the most part, at this point. We still only have 16 deaths in Mexico and 1 death in the US of a immigrant baby, with a history of health problems before this. Yet we are told to fear for our lives and the Govt. will place us under house arrest for our own protection. Yet not restrict air travel, close the border or even question food sources for possible links. But around us our economy has imploded, millions of jobs have been outsourced and lost never to return, with no end in sight. To me, the leap of faith is believing this is all an amazing series of coincidences.

Heirarchy_of_Paranoia.gif

On a scale of 1-5, starting from the bottom counting up, you are a definite five.

In all seriousness, you might want to check out this link (don't worry, it's not monitored) - http://www.hoptechno.com/paranoia.htm

Or maybe just treat yourself to a subscription to this - http://www.paranoiamagazine.com/

Heirarchy_of_Paranoia.gif

On a scale of 1-5, starting from the bottom counting up, you are a definite five.

In all seriousness, you might want to check out this link (don't worry, it's not monitored) - http://www.hoptechno.com/paranoia.htm

Or maybe just treat yourself to a subscription to this - http://www.paranoiamagazine.com/

Nice try. Maybe think about checking into reality sometime buddy. I have better things to do than read page and page of excuses. The facts are we are a step away from some sort of fucked up lockdown. Our economy is in shambles but I only get excuses for all of it on this board. Read a few pages back people were claiming it would never reach a level 6. And talk about overreaction. I was only pointing out the unnecessary bizarre steps that have been taken. If you have followed the pattern this far, then you would know they mention raising the threat level and then do. But it never ceases to amaze me the power of ego and denial. And don't worry I won't be reading your snappy, from the hip comeback. A thread full of one liners as your country goes down the tubes. You are wrong plain and simple, but I see you are not grown up enough to admit that. Got it. Enjoy the police state that doesn't exist.

Nice try. Maybe think about checking into reality sometime buddy. I have better things to do than read page and page of excuses. The facts are we are a step away from some sort of fucked up lockdown. Our economy is in shambles but I only get excuses for all of it on this board. Read a few pages back people were claiming it would never reach a level 6. And talk about overreaction. I was only pointing out the unnecessary bizarre steps that have been taken. If you have followed the pattern this far, then you would know they mention raising the threat level and then do. But it never ceases to amaze me the power of ego and denial. And don't worry I won't be reading your snappy, from the hip comeback. A thread full of one liners as your country goes down the tubes. You are wrong plain and simple, but I see you are not grown up enough to admit that. Got it. Enjoy the police state that doesn't exist.

Without so much as a single shred of evidence linking the economy, the swine flu, and what you refer to as an impending lockdown, you have somehow managed to concoct a theory, out of thin air, and made it real.

My uncle used to do that, he was schizophrenic - what

We all know this is fake.

No, we don't "all know" this.

We know that governments are reacting in a way that seems disproportionate to the perceived threat. But that does not mean that this is "fake."

What we all do know is that you need professional help.

These are examples of the abuses of authority I was talking about and think Nudie was referring to. We all know this is fake. Yet our Govts. and Govts. around the world are still taking these type of authoritarian steps. Would it not be enough to tell people to stay home if they get sick at this point? It has proven to be non-deadly for the most part, at this point. We still only have 16 deaths in Mexico and 1 death in the US of a immigrant baby, with a history of health problems before this. Yet we are told to fear for our lives and the Govt. will place us under house arrest for our own protection. Yet not restrict air travel, close the border or even question food sources for possible links. But around us our economy has imploded, millions of jobs have been outsourced and lost never to return, with no end in sight. To me, the leap of faith is believing this is all an amazing series of coincidences.

Weren't you screaming a couple days ago for the government to close the border with Mexico? And now it's enough to tell people to stay home if they're sick?

Putting a hotel under quarantine is an authoritarian move, but not allowing people to travel to and from another country is not?

You don't write children's books, do you?

Canada: Pigs found with swine flu virus

http://content.usatoday.com/community/comm...4.story&p=2

It is hilarious and an insult to suggest that a pig caught the flu from a human. There goes the whole plan to take the swine out of the swine flu. Enjoy those sandwiches.

You are as likely to get influenza from eating a ham sandwich as you are to get shingles from winking at a hamster.

As someone who only leaves the house for work, I'm pretty ok with the idea of martial law. Also, as someone who loves the sound of an overdriven tube amplifier, I'd be pretty ok with the idea of Marshall law as well.

It is hilarious and an insult to suggest that a pig caught the flu from a human.

Are you a virologist?

Unless the answer's "yes," please shut the fuck up.

Are you a virologist?

Unless the answer's "yes," please shut the fuck up.

Well, he's not a professional political operative either, but that ain't gonna stop him.

You are as likely to get influenza from eating a ham sandwich as you are to get shingles from winking at a hamster.

I think I'd rather have influenza than shingles. Shingles is enough to make anyone wish for swine flu.

Pork was on sale this week at the store. I just had some, stir-fried with peppers, onion and green beans, with a little soy sauce and crushed red pepper.

As someone who only leaves the house for work, I'm pretty ok with the idea of martial law. Also, as someone who loves the sound of an overdriven tube amplifier, I'd be pretty ok with the idea of Marshall law as well.

marshall-amp.jpg

"You. Will. Obey. Me. Play. Smoking. Hot. Riff. Now. Or. Face. Destruction.

I am a fan of Marshal Law comics.

marshal_law.jpg

Wait, I thought shingles resulted from associating with and/or hiring seedy carpenters?

Wow, there