"Official" band sites

It just seems like, when I make an update about the band or whatever, I do it first at http://iacmusic.com/hoponpop, then Facebook (much later), then MySpace. And then, on top of that, I have a presence at the Spade Kitty site, too.

Even bands that are making a name for themselves seem to be keeping their MySpace pages as their main (or sole) web presence.

I almost never get to my "official" site to actually add news of any kind. And traffic seems to be dropping. It's almost not even worth it.

Is it?

What do you think? With the plethora of choices available to indie artists, do you think that maintaining a separate "official" site lends additional credibility to a band's image? Or are sites like MySpace, and the like enough?

Your thoughts?

I use virb for my music: See here! which I find to be a lot less annoying in terms of clutter, advertising, etc. as compared to Myspace. I used to use Myspace, but just found it to be annoying and filled with spam and other junk. I'll go there if I can't hear a new track elsewhere or can't find tour dates listed other places...but I greatly prefer artists who have their own pages if only because that's what I'm looking to see...not all the extra (junk) content.

I use virb for my music: See here! which I find to be a lot less annoying in terms of clutter, advertising, etc. as compared to Myspace. I used to use Myspace, but just found it to be annoying and filled with spam and other junk. I'll go there if I can't hear a new track elsewhere or can't find tour dates listed other places...but I greatly prefer artists who have their own pages if only because that's what I'm looking to see...not all the extra (junk) content.

Listening to your music now. Thanks for the link!

I loath myspace as well, but it is a great networking tool for bands. It's pretty easy to get a lot of exposure on myspace with adding friends, joining groups, etc. If your band just has an official website, you have to do A LOT of manual leg work (not to mention the cost to host it) to get it advertised.

My band has an official site and a myspace site, but we always tell folks to visit us on myspace, and also include our myspace address on CD's. It's always the place where "fans" are more likely to go.. From my experience at least.

I understand myspace can be good for small, up and coming bands, but holy crap do i hate myspace.

Yeah, I look at it as an essential networking tool for my band and thats it.. Other than that, its slow, filled with ads, bugs, and just overall shitty...

Wouldn't myspace or facebook then be the official band site if that is their only web pressence?

Yeah, I'd say that's valid. I know there are a couple bands (even pretty well known one's) that their only website is on myspace.

God I hope not.

Amen, brother.