New Album News - II

I 100% truly, honestly, would rather have Jay Bennett sit in my lap and sing 'My Darling' to me

This is my definition of the tenth circle of Hell

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most of the time, me hanging out here has little to nothing to do with wilco.

I can dig that.. I go through long spans where I won't listen to their records, live performance, or anything, but I still come here for news, etc., or just to unwind from the stresses of work.

It's really only when I'm geeking out about a new album or concert that I come here to discuss the band or get band related news/information.

I would place any Wilco record in the top 20% of all albums ever made and so if you think a few Wilco records suck, then I believe you think ALOT of music must really suck

So if you thought those records sucked, you would have a small record collection, then.

I have what most people would consider a large record collection and I think 80% of music sucks, probably more like 90%. The good thing is, there's SO MUCH music that no matter what your tastes are, you can have a large collection of music you like.

'Leave Me Like You Found Me' is on repeat in the eleventh circle.

It's my least favorite Wilco song, too. To keep this post on topic...I hope that its title as "Worst Wilco Song (as defined by me)" remains after June.

Why do people keep saying that SBS was full of extended Nels Cline solos??? Besides Impossible Germany, I don't recall any other really long ones.

Good question. There are only two or three songs in the entire Wilco catalog that have long guitar solos.

Chunks of "Being There" I don't really like.

Yeah, towards the end of the second disc it's like "what the fuck is going on here?"

6. "(Was I) In Your Dreams" – WTF?? I mean, yeah, it has some nifty country sounding riffs, but I mean... the song writing just seems lazy in that song.

7. "Why Would You Wanna Live" – 4:16 - This song just almost hurts to listen to..

8. But then they redeem themselves with the beautiful/brilliant "The Lonely 1".

But "Being There" still remains in my top two favorite Wilco albums.

Well I am sorry twice for you, because I think you are missing out. This is all opinion of course, but I kind of agree with the sentiment that to say either of those records sucks would be a pretty strong statement and I would imagine your record collection to be very small becuse that kind of feeling would disqualify about 80% of all records made. I personally have listened to SBS more than any other Wilco record since it was released and I will never have anything but fond love for AM.

There was a time when I would have grumbled that it was closer to 90 percent. But my mellowed response is that I can't be that harsh on something that made it's way through the recording, engineering, mixing and production process without someone along the way finding some intrinsic value in it. At some point, even the most unlistenable music had the intention of the "artist" of putting his skewed view of creativity to work. At some point it was a labor of love. If someone sought out to make commercial crap, or even a purposely tanked album, it was still weighed against a standard and was sought to measure up. I mean, consider the filmaker Ed Wood?

That said, regardless of your opinion on a particular artist, album or song, you can listen or not listen. If you don't like it, I think bitching about it, criticizing other's viewpoint is obviously the low road. that such discussions de-evolve so quiickly is the result of seeking to cause trouble, rather than discussing what musically is iimportant, and what isn't.

The quickest way to learn restraint in criticizing musical (and other) tastes is to have children that turn into teenagers.

I really like that pic of John, Nels, and Jeff from the Wilco-news section. I wish that could be the album artwork, nothing fancy, just that picture. However it would be kinda douchey to not include Glenn, Pat, and Mikael. I hope the album art dose not suck, AGIB is the only one I've liked so far

It's the typical 'if only they've kept it to a single disc, it would've been brilliant' kind of story. Though as far as double albums go I've heart worse, BT at least has about 15 A-side worthy songs.

I've lately grown new appreciation for the second disc of BT. I think this album, perhaps more than any other (with perhaps the exception of AGIB just by nature of the band's approach to the music there), provides the framework for what have become some of their greatest songs performed live. And I think the current lineup have added an interpretation of these songs which makes them stand better than the sum of the studio parts. On their summer tour last year, they did "Was I In Your Dreams" with the Total Pros that was just incredible. With ST and and YHF -- or even SBS -- they are largely recreating those songs live -- although there are likely exceptions. With AM, it's all so straightforward and simple that you'd have to rework the foundation to give any room to create more upon it.

If you don't like it, I think bitching about it, criticizing other's viewpoint is obviously the low road. that such discussions de-evolve so quiickly is the result of seeking to cause trouble, rather than discussing what musically is iimportant, and what isn't.

So:

1. You shouldn't express that you don't like a particular album (or aspect of an album).

2. If someone expresses that he or she likes a particular album (or aspect of an album), you should not disagree and offer your own opinion, because you're only seeking to cause trouble.

Do I have it right?

Guest Speed Racer
It's the typical 'if only they've kept it to a single disc, it would've been brilliant' kind of story. Though as far as double albums go I've heart worse, BT at least has about 15 A-side worthy songs.

I think all the songs are fantastic, I just think they could have recorded a few of them with one fewer bottle of pills.

(And for the record, I think it's pretty hard to stay on topic in a thread that announces only the name and tracklist of an album that hasn't leaked. It's not like you can rank the merit of the track order in relation to titles: "Ending with a B song? They're doing it just to fuck over Jay Bennett! SEE?!")

Guest Speed Racer
So:

1. You shouldn't express that you don't like a particular album (or aspect of an album).

2. If someone expresses that he or she likes a particular album (or aspect of an album), you should not disagree and offer your own opinion, because you're only seeking to cause trouble.

Do I have it right?

Wow, are you the board police today?

nodep5's post basically said, "I'm terribly sorry you have such awful taste in music; you're missing out." I think it's pretty easy to say that's the low road approach to criticism. "I like it; you're missing out" could have been a high-road alternative.

So:

Do I have it right?

Not at all. If you're violently opposed to something, I would like to hear how it grates, or why it doesn't appeal to you; but realize that it's not an argument, but that your perspective is based on how you've built your tastes, and perhaps your insight has more value than your thumbs up or thumbs down on a particular, artist, a particular song or a particular album.

Wow, are you the board police today?

nodep5's post basically said, "I'm terribly sorry you have such awful taste in music; you're missing out." I think it's pretty easy to say that's the low road approach to criticism. "I like it; you're missing out" could have been a high-road alternative.

I'm not the board police. I'm trying to understand some viewpoints that I don't quite get.

Not at all. If you're violently opposed to something, I would like to hear how it grates, or why it doesn't appeal to you; but realize that it's not an argument, but that your perspective is based on how you've built your tastes, and perhaps your insight has more value than your thumbs up or thumbs down on a particular, artist, a particular song or a particular album.

Ah yes, I remember that you have a very academic and analytical approach to discussion of musical tastes.

I don't see what's wrong with bitching, though, and why it has to be tied to troublemaking. There are lots of ways to discuss music.

I'm not the board police. I'm trying to understand some viewpoints that I don't quite get.

Ah yes, I remember that you have a very academic and analytical approach to discussion of musical tastes.

I don't see what's wrong with bitching, though, and why it has to be tied to troublemaking. There are lots of ways to discuss music.

I don't know that I have an academic and analytical approach; I do think you can take a deeper look at why you gush or bitch and how that affects what you hear, or whether you're going to gush or bitch regardless of what you hear. There are lots of ways to discuss music. I think sometimes that can be the least of someone's intentions -- bored at work, frustrated about something, diislike someone on the board -- and use it as a springboard to stir things up. I'm not saying that's the case. I've benefited from unexpected insights on most people on this list regard of what I think, but I've also seen some throw anvils into conversations to hear the clank.

Still, you'll agree that someone can express an honest fear about how the upcoming record may turn out without it being just out of boredom or whatever? I don't know why one would assume it was anything other than an honest criticism without additional context.