New Album News - II

and for the record, it is lamrod's fault. if he asked if i hate any wilco records i would have said no. if he asked if i disliked any, i would have answered as i did.
For the record, I apologize for introducing the word SUCKS in this thread.

:yes

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer
i can't believe i just read all four pages only to find there's no news on the new record.

I can't believe I've posted on all four pages and only NOW realized we have a release date.

We should start a pool to see who can come closest to guessing the cost of the most-expensive pre-order package from MusicToday. And what will the special gift be? Wilco Dad-Rock dishtowels? A set of six, embroidered with the bobblehead images?

Hey All,

Quick question that popped into my head when thinking about a leak.

Do any of you recall there being a 3 song sample going around for Sky Blue Sky before the leak?

Sorry, if this was mentioned. I remember having 3 songs to play from the album for awhile before anything leaked officially through Wilcoworld.net.

I think it was Either Way, You Are My Face, and Walken.

Kristofor

PS It may have been from a radio station most likely.

Some actual album-related things:

* The band seems very excited about it (probably true of any new release)

* There's a song called Dark Neon that appeared and disappeared from the Wilcoworld tracklisting, and will likely be an extra track or B-side or something of that sort (perhaps like Let's Not Get Carried Away?)

* Besides Rolling Stone, some people heard the album at the start of the month at one of the private charity shows Jeff does. This was discussed in After the Show.

* Per the David Fricke interview with John at Jazzfest (secondhand for me; I think it was reported either in the other thread or the Jazzfest ATS thread), the duet with Feist was supposed to be a big secret until the album came out. That news broke a long time ago, though.

* John also indicated in the aforementioned interview (again, secondhand for me but reported elsewhere) that the album's title came about in part because the artwork didn't come together quickly, and they somehow fit together.

* Anyone else who was at the Jazzfest interview care to comment on other things that may have been discussed? It was an hour-long interview.

* Photo shoots in Milwaukee for possible album artwork (there were no guarantees that this will appear in the final product) included fans in line outside the Pabst Theater, including a few fans chosen to wear three of the band's Nudie suits. There was also a prop birthday cake.

* Nonesuch has the album page up, but no cover art or samples yet: http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/wilco-the-album

Anything else to add?

Yes, there were a few songs that leaked last time before the official stream from Wilcoworld. I think they first appeared on a blog. The stream followed in short order.

So if you thought those records sucked, you would have a small record collection, then.

Not really...

There have been an average of 20,000 records a year for the past 10 years alone.

I think I have a decent sized record collection; about 2,000 records on my iPod. That would be less than 20% of the # of records made in a year alone, much less in the last 70 or so years that my record collection spans.

So let's say theoretically the number is half a million different albums have been made. That'd mean I had 0.4% of all records made on my iPod. I am 25 years old, and probably won't get to listen to more than a few thousand records in the remainder of my life.

Basically...you can still not like something that's better than 80% of all records made...because that would still leave you with several thousand records to enjoy. By my estimation, at least 100k. Yeah. I can live with having 100k records.

Some actual album-related things:

* The band seems very excited about it (probably true of any new release)

* There's a song called Dark Neon that appeared and disappeared from the Wilcoworld tracklisting, and will likely be an extra track or B-side or something of that sort (perhaps like Let's Not Get Carried Away?)

* Besides Rolling Stone, some people heard the album at the start of the month at one of the private charity shows Jeff does. This was discussed in After the Show.

* Per the David Fricke interview with John at Jazzfest (secondhand for me; I think it was reported either in the other thread or the Jazzfest ATS thread), the duet with Feist was supposed to be a big secret until the album came out. That news broke a long time ago, though.

* John also indicated in the aforementioned interview (again, secondhand for me but reported elsewhere) that the album's title came about in part because the artwork didn't come together quickly, and they somehow fit together.

* Anyone else who was at the Jazzfest interview care to comment on other things that may have been discussed? It was an hour-long interview.

* Photo shoots in Milwaukee for possible album artwork (there were no guarantees that this will appear in the final product) included fans in line outside the Pabst Theater, including a few fans chosen to wear three of the band's Nudie suits. There was also a prop birthday cake.

* Nonesuch has the album page up, but no cover art or samples yet: http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/wilco-the-album

Anything else to add?

Yes, there were a few songs that leaked last time before the official stream from Wilcoworld. I think they first appeared on a blog. The stream followed in short order.

Y'all been skooled!!

Thanks Preferred B. :thumbup

Kristofor

PS Not that it matters now, but does anyone recall the blog site? If someone remembers, maybe we should check that every so often.

So, is sex in a Honda Accord while listening to SBS the greatest thing ever?

So, do you think they will be playing the new stuff in the summer tour? I'm going to be at the Cincinnati show on June 12, and I'm hoping they're playing the new stuff by then.

Lewiston 7/19, and hoping the same. By then I imagine that's all I'll have been listening to for weeks....

Dear Wilco,

Please leak this record. The suspense is killing us. Or, to be more precise, the suspense is about to make us, your loyal fans, start killing each other. If we did that, there would be no one left to buy you cds and dvds and books and vws, and your careers would undoubtedly come to a grinding halt.

We know you promise that you will love us, but we need that love now. You need that love now. What the world needs now is love (sweet love)

Love,

Me

Guest Speed Racer
I would bet 10 bucks it'll leak in the next week or two. Just a guess though.

I would actually bet on a much later leak than usual - probably closer to sometime in June. They're not even playing the tracks live right now, which is a departure for them (right?). And Jeff said something recently about wanting to keep it under wraps this time around.

Where can I find that thread? I've not found it in After the Show.. Did it have any info about the new album?

Onan,

Your post made me laugh. It also gave me an idea. A Scavenger Hunt for the new Wilco record.

It sounds silly, but if it were to be done in the big cities or even in smaller college towns it'd get word out from us the fans that a new Wilco album is about to come out.

I'd even say that there'd be some sort of fee to play to be donated to a charity of choice. It'd be fun and a nice way to experience your city/town with fellow Wilco fans. Though I don't think viral marketing and Wilco go together, I think it'd be a nice idea...maybe obnoxious but it's better than having it leak onto your computer. Maybe it ties in nicely with what we think is the message of the album or have heard the band talk about America.

Kristofor

PS I haven't really thought it through though when that person finds the album. Do they get to share it? I don't know.