I want my Kingpin back please. I miss it so much. I want my ten minute song back. I want the wa wa pedal back. I want to be a big wig. I want to hear stories of hippies with dogs and dogs with hippies. I want a guitar solo where Nels ignores the other members of the band and just jams out. I want to be your, Kinping, Baby!!!!!!!

From now on any Wilco show that I download with the current version of Kingpin on it will be replaced with a 1997-1999 version. Who's with me?

Video removed

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=38190

I'm ambivalent about your cause, but my wife is in 100% agreement. She really enjoyed Ashes DVD but hated the version of Kingpin. She used to get so excited back in the day when they played that song. The new version has an Egyptian quality about it (which isn't a good thing)

I may have to dodge some tomatoes here, but I didn't like Kingpin until I heard it on the Ashes DVD...

I'll second that. Kingpin has always done nothing for me but the Ashes version is great. Don't throw tomatoes at me either!

I may have to dodge some tomatoes here, but I didn't like Kingpin until I heard it on the Ashes DVD...

You like it now that is all that matters. My favorite live song they do. I'm a sucker for audience participation :dancing Then again I think Dreamer im My Dreams is one of their best tunes so what do I know? :music

• 2 weeks later...

I have a related question... My 8 year old really digs the Ashes version and now wants to learn to play it. I've found some tabs here, showed him the tuning and he is working on it, but it would help him if I could find Tweedy playing it solo. He loses it when the band strikes up. Hearing solo versions have always helped him in the past. Anyone have a link to Tweedy playing it acoustic solo?

... and, if you are wondering, yes he is eight (that's not a typo) and he is a HUGE Wilco fan.

Wilcobase song search-->Kingpin-->results

When you see a show that fits what you are looking for, click on it, then scroll down to the bottom.

Look for:

Audio Sources

etree users with this show

Download this show from the Wilco Archive @ Owl and Bear

Click on:

I have chosen this show -

1997-01-11 Jeff Tweedy- Lounge Ax, Chicago, IL

Kingpin is the 8th track.

Wilcobase song search-->Kingpin-->results

When you see a show that fits what you are looking for, click on it, then scroll down to the bottom.

Look for:

Audio Sources

etree users with this show

Click on:

I have chosen this show -

1997-01-11 Jeff Tweedy- Lounge Ax, Chicago, IL

Kingpin is the 8th track.

Perfect, thank you! This will give me the chance to show him how to use a slide...

I have heard a lot of versions and I like the newer one the best... besides, "livin' in... New Orleans." nuff said.

Sounds better than "livin' in Rochester" (on many levels). You do know they were playing in N'Orleans, right?

• 8 months later...

Okay, so everyone seems to enjoy the current version, in particular the Ashes one, but does anyone like the no-holes barred, wa-wa pedal, story telling, "city maps and handclaps" (take a moment to do it), 10 minute rock anthem version? I will say that i love the recklessness of the earlier versions.