• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My foray into Will Johnson was Fort Recovery. It's an okay album. Next I tried Dual Hawks. Same result. A friend of mine turned me onto Vultures Await. I thought it was pretty good. Then I picked up Love You Just the Same last year and was blown away. I've gone back to some of their other stuff and have gained more of an appreciation - especially for Vultures Await. Will's voice is definitely an acquired taste. He is, however, amazingly talented and prolific. Considering some of the bands you show love for here Rider, I think you should give these guys and/or Will a second chance. If you haven't heard Love You Just the Same, I would start there in your do-over of all things Johnson.

Funny. A lot of people say this about Jay Farrar, Neil Young, and Bob Dylan. ;)

My favorite is still All The Falsest Hearts Can Try. I hear great things about his upcoming solo record. Can't wait to hear it.

My foray into Will Johnson was Fort Recovery. It's an okay album. Next I tried Dual Hawks. Same result. A friend of mine turned me onto Vultures Await. I thought it was pretty good. Then I picked up Love You Just the Same last year and was blown away. I've gone back to some of their other stuff and have gained more of an appreciation - especially for Vultures Await. Will's voice is definitely an acquired taste. He is, however, amazingly talented and prolific. Considering some of the bands you show love for here Rider, I think you should give these guys and/or Will a second chance. If you haven't heard Love You Just the Same, I would start there in your do-over of all things Johnson.

Funny. A lot of people say this about Jay Farrar, Neil Young, and Bob Dylan. ;)

okay, thanks for the info. and you're right about farrar and young. good points;)

i downloaded a few songs from love you. we'll see. south san gabriel is the same band, right?

Is this the collaboration with Jason Molina?

i wondered about that too. if he's got a solo disc and the molina collaboration coming out, he sure is prolific. anyone hear the magnolia 7inch from record store day? i guess an ep is coming out as well.

6f6151c88da093a66789d110.L._AA240_.jpg61STR2SXHPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51NhDHmqAjL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

519K4J8WEQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51JR4RK43TL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

various artists - The Birmingham Sound: The Soul of Neil Hemphill, Vol. 2

Dwight Yoakam - The Very Best Of...

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

Elastica - Elastica

Brazil - The Philosophy of Velocity

Looking forward to checking this one out. How is it?

I think it's very good. Some of the songs are on the heavier side for Cracker but it definitely works. I think these guys struggled a bit after their early success. I think the albums were somewhat hit and miss (mostly hit for me). I liked their last one (Greenland?) but it doesn't get much in the way of spins anymore.

I like this one quite a bit more. I need to spend more time listening though. Patterson Hood does a duet on one song...as does John Doe. That alone raises the stock on this one.

1056967.jpg

very MEC like. Late to the party getting into Jon Rae Fletcher, but this is great.

I just found out about him a couple days ago as well, nice songs.

I just found out about him a couple days ago as well, nice songs.

Met Paul Mortimer (in the Cap) at a Ladyhawk show. It seems that almost everyone in the picture, except Jon Rae and Anne Rust now make up 5/6ths of One Hundred Dollars. I'm really loving everything this little Ladyhawk-$100-Jon Rae collective are doing - It's just astounding that they are all so talented.

DSC00274.jpg

(got a a Ladyhawk t-shirt autographed from Ryan and Duffy to send down to their 'Biggest Fan in the whole wide world' in Missississippi)

NP: Jon Rae Fletcher - Oh Maria

wee_030-736953.jpg

http://www.herohill.com/MP3/01%20Maria.mp3

4158MRTQQ3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg 41DVA9QAN7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

happyashtray.jpg41CZ9ZSJ8KL._SL500_AA240_.jpg41RNRb3PBuL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Happy Ashtray - Big Apple

Rapeman - 2 Nuns and a Pack Mule

Squeeze - Singles: 45s and Under