Wilco ex-member sues frontman Tweedy

Lawsuits often occur years after. It takes awhile for some things to sink in, particularly if there is money involved.

(Didn't Bessie Smith's family get some dough from Columbia Records not TOO many years back?

LouieB

For $50K?

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the mind of Jay Bennett: "Hmmmm... $5 divided by $50,000 equals.... ummmm ....10,000 "$5 Footlongs"!!!!!!"

I think Jay Bennett has a degree in math...

Also, this post in every way makes me depressed.

This will put to rest any rumors of a benefit concert with Wilco headlining, I'm afraid.

jesus fucking christ - I think I just fucked up my chances of interviewing Wilco with that talk of a benefit for him. son of a bitch!!!

The timing is peculiar, though. If he was getting screwed all these years, why wait until now? He's fishing for some kind of settlement. Sad, yes, but desperate.

maybe he felt like he exhausted all other means of getting what he thought was fair ... negotiating, talking, lawyers meeting, etc.

and finally just felt he had no choice

i have no idea who's right here, but don't think it's fair to judge jay just because he waited to file the suit. maybe he was hoping to resolve this without litigation but just no longer felt that was possible

Somehow I thought that this was somewhat old news. Not the lawsuit part of it, but that Jay has been saying for a while that he was not properly compensated for his work. I don't know what the statute of limitations is, but it might be that Jay's suing in order to get in under the wire and essentially buy time (since once you file suit, there's really no limit to how long the process takes).

He spoke to me years ago about doing something like this, saying he was not fully compensated for this or that...I just assumed that it had been cleared up one way or another by now.

Do you think Jeff will stop performing any songs co-written by Jay now? Out of spite, that's what I'd do. But I'm an angry little bugger.

He spoke to me years ago about doing something like this, saying he was not fully compensated for this or that...I just assumed that it had been cleared up one way or another by now.

Do you think Jeff will stop performing any songs co-written by Jay now? Out of spite, that's what I'd do. But I'm an angry little bugger.

God I hope not. Jay co-wrote the majority of the songs on my two fav Wilco albums (YHF and Summerteeth).

Jay should be reimbursed for songs that he has a co-writing credit on if they're played live. I just always assumed he was being paid.

"Performance royalty" covers radio-play as well, though I doubt there's much money for Wilco in that department.

Jay should be reimbursed for songs that he has a co-writing credit on if they're played live. I just always assumed he was being paid.

"Performance royalty" covers radio-play as well, though I doubt there's much money for Wilco in that department.

Unless they officially release a live recording of a Bennett-helped song, I don't think they need to pay him when they perform it live. Artists don't have to pay when they perform a cover in concert, so Wilco playing a song Jay helped produce isn't really any different.

Jeff and the other Jay successfully sued their old record company for royalties many years (6 years, I think) after Uncle Tupelo had broken up, so lets not try and paint a picture where anyone who waits a while to try and get royalties is evil. Waiting a bit for more facts is a good idea.

Oh my god, I'm so excited about this. This is going to be a highy messed up saga.

I'm so back on the VC bandwagon now, this place is about to be really, really awesome for like a day and half, maybe two. I predict at least 1 closed thread, another opened right after, and a personal clarification post from at least one of the parties involved.

All good bets. Except for the personal clarification part. Jay has never, to my knowledge, defended himself on here despite all the things said about him over the years. Jeff once responded to a (pretty well done, but very false) accusation of plagiarism. Their lawyers will tell them to can it in this case.

Edit: I could see a Jay myspace post, though. Hmm.

Unless they officially release a live recording of a Bennett-helped song, I don't think they need to pay him when they perform it live. Artists don't have to pay when they perform a cover in concert, so Wilco playing a song Jay helped produce isn't really any different.

I'm too lazy to look up the writing credits to every Wilco song, but on Ashes of American Flags on a glance, I see several songs co-written by Jay. Same with Kicking Television.

All good bets. Except for the personal clarification part. Jay has never, to my knowledge, defended himself on here despite all the things said about him over the years. Jeff once responded to a (pretty well done, but very false) accusation of plagiarism. Their lawyers will tell them to can it in this case.

Edit: I could see a Jay myspace post, though. Hmm.

Oh man, I remember the plagiarism thread.

I remember it being a huge deal, but wasn't it only like 4 pages total?

I'm too lazy to look up the writing credits to every Wilco song, but on Ashes of American Flags on a glance, I see several songs co-written by Jay. Same with Kicking Television.

Yes, as I said, if it's commercially released, they do have to pay royalties. But this lawsuit technically doesn't (or shouldn't) affect regular, non Ashes/KT Wilco concerts. Artists can play whatever they want in concert, without worrying about royalties. If it was any different, shitty bar bands would cease to exist.

Oh my god, I'm so excited about this. This is going to be a highy messed up saga.

I'm so back on the VC bandwagon now, this place is about to be really, really awesome for like a day and half, maybe two. I predict at least 1 closed thread, another opened right after, and a personal clarification post from at least one of the parties involved.

"It's only rock and roll" ;)