Wilco ex-member sues frontman Tweedy

True. But Jeff DOES NOT want to have every Wilco (The Album) interviewer ask him about Jay's lawsuit.

He could always just say "I can't coment as the case is still pending".

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will re state my opinions in moron speak for you...

1. 50,000 is not a lot of money for a band as big as Wilco

2. If anyone is getting money from the film/record album a contract of some sort must have been signed. Unless they are complete idiots (but I am willing to bet they are not).

3. This will probably be settled for a lower sum due to the cost of a trial.

For the record, the $50,000 figure isn't an exact sum for damages -- it's merely a jurisdictional amount that plaintiffs plead to have the case heard in one division of court (Law) instead of another (Municipal). The amount that JB claims for damages is probably much, much more.

I'm trying to stay out of this thread, but I found this statement rediculous.

Spiders came out the way it did on the album because Jeff was going through his troubles with pain killers and he couldn't play guitar to the best of his ability.

Implying that the guitar solos on Spiders are mistakes, and not the band's artistic choice is crazy. #1 Wilco has recorded plenty of music they haven't released, if they weren't happy with Spiders I don't think it would be on the album. #2 the guitar solos on Spiders are amazing and completely appropriate for the mood of the song. It would take a Celine Dion fan to listen to that song and go "man, that guy can't play guitar, can he?"

OK, now I know you are a lunatic. Thanks for proving it once again.

My opinions and speculation are based on pretty simple business contract law. If you are making a work that will be bringing in money then you usually sign some sort of contract. Jeff does not pay the band, his management company arranges that. I don't see how anything I said was irrelevant to the lawsuit or the discussion when it's directly related to the speculation on both the lawsuit and the discussion. Get off the high horse. Im not one of the posters making fun of Jay's hair or hip replacement.

1. 50,000 is not a lot of money for a band as big as Wilco

2. If anyone is getting money from the film/record album a contract of some sort must have been signed. Unless they are complete idiots (but I am willing to bet they are not).

3. This will probably be settled for a lower sum due to the cost of a trial.

OMG SO IRRELEVANT!!

I forgot to mention Jay's hair smells and he has a bad hip..OMG he sucks SO much.

retards...

So the only way for Jeff Tweedy to be culpable in this case is for him to have personally written the DVD contract?

As for #2 up there, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be one, but there are cases where a contractual situation can exist without a signed contract. That seems to be what Jay is alleging. He was held to the terms of the contract, but was not compensated as if he had signed it.

Thanks for calling me a name.

I'm trying to stay out of this thread, but I found this statement rediculous.

Implying that the guitar solos on Spiders are mistakes, and not the band's artistic choice is crazy. #1 Wilco has recorded plenty of music they haven't released, if they weren't happy with Spiders I don't think it would be on the album. #2 the guitar solos on Spiders are amazing and completely appropriate for the mood of the song. It would take a Celine Dion fan to listen to that song and go "man, that guy can't play guitar, can he?"

no that statement is complete truth, it comes from an interview jeff did. he admitted they kept the arrangement sparse with minimal chord changes because of jeff's health condition. it was the last song they recorded on agib. look at the song now - all those multi-layered guitar solos throughout it - much more lively with nels in the band and jeff at full health.

http://migraine.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/shaking-it-off/

"“Spiders (Kidsmoke)” is another. I think we performed that song once or twice – we knew it was going to be on the record but it was one that was looming as a real challenge in the condition I was in. So when we put it together the arrangement ended up being as minimal as possible with the fewest amount of chord changes and I just got through the lyrics and punctuated them with guitar blasts basically just to play through the song. It ended up being a song we were pretty proud of. But it was not much fun to record."

my point is if jay was in the band - would he have let the song out the door that way. this may be opinion, but i think the live version is 1000 times better than the recording. its obvious that jeff had a grand idea for this song but couldn't pull it off for the record - maybe with jay there he could have delegated some of the responsibility to jay to give the song justice on the recording.

and p.s. i didn't imply the guitar solos were mistakes. my point is they aren't there on AGIB but they are there in the live set now.

Guest Speed Racer
OK, now I know you are a lunatic. Thanks for proving it once again.

retards...

Wow, I did not see the edited version of your post until Caliber responded to it. There is no need to do that at all, period. If you need to call someone that many names to reply to a post, I think you need to take a break from the thread for an hour or two?

Guest Speed Racer
You give me too much credit.

Attention-whore. :cheekkiss

Do people think it's prudent or an oversight, that Pitchfork does not mention Jay's need for a hip replacement? They go all, "Ooooh, upcoming record, how convenient," but not "Oooooh, uninsured, unemployed, funny-walking plaintiff." I can't decide whether that's good non-speculation or oversightful.

Jay's an easy target, but I just have a gut feeling that Jay has SOMETHING that's valid. It seems I remember hearing/reading years ago that he didn't feel he was compensated fully for all his work in Wilco. Jay's pride, and belief that he could earn money on his own, probably is the reason he never got serious about getting money from Jeff/Wilco.

Obviously, the hip surgery has made Jay desparate. But I don't think Jay would drop this big of a bomb without having actual facts to back his claim.

my thoughts......somewhat......danm, i'm really bummed by this.

-Robert

I hope someone posts a copy of the actual complaint, because without it there's just too much baseless speculation, which I will add to here.

1. plus it was filmed 8 years ago, with Jay's complete knowledge and cooperation. Unless Illinois's statute of limitations is really long, this is a total nonstarter.

it is. (for breach of contract)

Online now: 46 guests, 60 members, 10 anonymous members

I find this pretty sad. I did not become the huge fan of the band that I am now until after Jay left, but I do enjoy "his" songs and contributions. That said, he can't hold Jeff's jockstrap when it comes to sheer talent and the will to bring others together to make music.

i didnt see this coming. this is pretty nuts. hopefully everything works out, well just have to see what happens. personally, i think jay is gonna collect something, but not total damages. i bet it was like:

jay: dude, this sucks. i have to get hip surgery.

ed: why dont you sue wilco?

jay: hmm...

no that statement is complete truth, it comes from an interview jeff did. he admitted they kept the arrangement sparse with minimal chord changes because of jeff's health condition. it was the last song they recorded on agib. look at the song now - all those multi-layered guitar solos throughout it - much more lively with nels in the band and jeff at full health.

http://migraine.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/shaking-it-off/

"

Okay, arrangement I'll give you. I still say Jeff is the best guitar player Wilco's ever had in the band, past present or future.

Stop hittin' the pipe so hard.

well wait, why would jay bennett still be collecting royalties when hes not on certain contracts anymore. i dont think hes entitled to royalties from i am trying to break your heart. just the albums he was involved in

I did not become the huge fan of the band that I am now until after Jay left, but I do enjoy "his" songs and contributions. That said, he can't hold Jeff's jockstrap when it comes to sheer talent and the will to bring others together to make music.

The first part of your statement probably explains what you say in the 2nd part.

Do we need to slam someone who's talented because he's maybe not as talented as someone else? Maybe Scottie Pippen couldn't hold Jordan's jockstrap, but how many titles would Jordan have without him?