Wilco ex-member sues frontman Tweedy

As far as my knowledge and experience goes with litigation (which is honestly quite limited) but I would believe that Jeff is only one of the names being named in the document. For the most part lawyers name every possible responsible party figuring that one will end up paying. I would think that besides Jeff, it would also name the management, the record company, the documentary's production company and director, as well as any company that handles performance royalties. At least thats what I would think. The reporting of this story just seems to go to the sensationalistic nature of the news media. Mentioning only Jeff's name is quite an attention grabber. Just look at all the chatter here. 8 pages worth.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sucks, but I'm not entirely naive that this sort of thing can and does occur. Even the most creatively accomplished and harmonious bands can bust up and dissolve into bitter, acrimonious lawsuits that drag on for years.......

the_beatles-11975.jpg

well wait, why would jay bennett still be collecting royalties when hes not on certain contracts anymore. i dont think hes entitled to royalties from i am trying to break your heart. just the albums he was involved in

Um. Jay Bennett was all over I Am Trying To Break Your Heart. Of course he should be getting residuals for new showings of the movie.

Um. Jay Bennett was all over I Am Trying To Break Your Heart. Of course he should be getting residuals for new showings of the movie.

Shouldn't that kid who eats a corn dog during one of the sound checks also get residuals? I think he has a pretty strong case, personally.

Shouldn't that kid who eats a corn dog during one of the sound checks also get residuals? I think he has a pretty strong case, personally.

I'm suprised that hasn't shown up as some one's avatar,personally....

-Robert

Guest Speed Racer

A few things:

* Jay as "THE" producer? I'm pretty sure most of those records have a producer listed that isn't Jay, right? I don't have any records handy, but I thought they either said 'Wilco' or some other person.

* Jeff "PRODUCED" IATTBYH? Huh.

* Seems weird that Jay never formally signed the contract. Implied contracts get good traction in court, if I recall correctly, especially when payment is well documented, but I think the termination of such an implied contract would also be pretty damned clear in this case.

This seems weird:

"...15% of the income generated by sales and performances of the group's recordings of the song earned during each non-owning members term"

and the very next line is:

...continual and perpetual".

Don't those two things seem opposed?

Touche.

But you're a homer. In your world, Jordan with Bennett, Tweedy, Bach and Coomer would have won a Championship.

What do you all you legal experts think of Jay's suit? I'm an idiot about such things, but Jay's claims at least SEEM to have a little basis to them.

This seems weird:

"...15% of the income generated by sales and performances of the group's recordings of the song earned during each non-owning members term"

and the very next line is:

...continual and perpetual".

Don't those two things seem opposed?

I think it's money earned from sales and performance of those songs created during each member's tenure. So royalties from all the songs published from 11/94 to 8/01 would be continually and perpetually paid to those members who were part of the band at that time, no matter when they are played.

Huh indeed. If #16 (above) isn't true then I'd think the IATTBYH part of the lawsuit gets tossed.

from allmovie.com IATTBYH production credits:

Sam Jones - Producer / Director / Cinematographer

Peter Abraham - Producer

Tracy McKnight - Musical Direction/Supervision

Jeff Tweedy - Songwriter

Wilco - Featured Music

Erin Nordstrom - Editor

Patrick Solomon - Associate Producer

Barbara Winton - Associate Producer

Charlie Winton - Associate Producer

Albert Berger - Executive Producer

Gary Hustwit - Executive Producer