Wilco ex-member sues frontman Tweedy

This seems weird:

"...15% of the income generated by sales and performances of the group's recordings of the song earned during each non-owning members term"

and the very next line is:

...continual and perpetual".

Don't those two things seem opposed?

No. Jay's not asking to be paid for things written while he wasn't in the band, but when Summerteeth sells another copy next year, he wants to be paid for that, too.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complaints do not present a full picture because (1) they are one-sided, and (2) they intentionally present facts in the best possible light for the plaintiff (e.g., "THE" producer instead of "A" producer).

Without knowing what the contract actually says, and without knowing what sort of performance can be implied from prior actions, and without knowing how the contract could be amended or terminated, everyone is speculating. And they are speculating on marginally more information than they had before they saw the complaint.

I know this won't stop another 6 pages of speculation, but no one knows anything. At all. Be careful where you let your head take you. You don't know anything.

Guest Speed Racer
This seems weird:

"...15% of the income generated by sales and performances of the group's recordings of the song earned during each non-owning members term"

and the very next line is:

...continual and perpetual".

Don't those two things seem opposed?

"continuing"

What I read is that a) he is owed 'x' as a result of his term; and b ) Wilco's act of compensation continues (read: they have not paid him). As for perpetual, I guess he's referring to royalties for performances he recorded/produced? He should be able to get a titanium hip based on Chipotle alone.

Nice find, Norbs. :thumbup I thought Crow knocked it out of the park, along with many others.

I must say I went back and reread that thread and could still feel my indignation at the willingness of some who posted in that thread to reject the artistry of Jeff Tweedy for supposedly borrowing of a handful of phrases from imaginary poets.

one other option - and i'd personally like to see this done - is remove every backing track and piano/organ/tambourine/etc... performed by him off of all the albums he played on and let the old version go out of print. it would mean we'd get 2 versions of these albums, summerteeth would sound a million times better, and Jay would have to learn how to get hip by some other means.

or . . . go on judge judy, perhaps? that'd be interesting also.

"Sounds like Jeff might need a jolly banker."

Credit goes to my buddy Still Be Around at the Farrar board.

Without knowing what the contract actually says, and without knowing what sort of performance can be implied from prior actions, and without knowing how the contract could be amended or terminated, everyone is speculating. And they are speculating on marginally more information than they had before they saw the complaint.

Yeah, I'd really like to see that "Exhibit B".

Depends. Is there a documentary film crew following Jay through this process?

hahaha he is a bit full of himself so i wouldn't be suprised if there was a crew following him filming in black and white...

Shouldn't that kid who eats a corn dog during one of the sound checks also get residuals? I think he has a pretty strong case, personally.

Not to get nitpicky, but I'm pretty sure it was corn on the cob.

Yeah, I'd really like to see that "Exhibit B".

I'd really like to see Jeff's/Josh Grier's answer. I'm a big Tweedy fan, and I definitely hope this whole ordeal isn't stressing him out, but it's pretty interesting stuff. :headbonk (

Jeff's response is on Paste.

"I know exactly as much as everyone else does. I've read the news and I honestly have no idea what these claims are based on. It was such a long time ago. Aside from everything else, I'm being sued for not paying someone for appearing in a movie I didn't produce. Go figure. I am truly sad it has come to this. I am equally convinced, however, that I have done nothing wrong and that this will be handled fairly and swiftly."

This:

Furthermore, the suit states that Bennett was paid for his time in Wilco, but that the "infrequent partial payments" only amounted to 15% of the band's income.

seems to be a pretty sloppy analysis of the claim. The article also seems to suggest (through poor editing, rather than intent, I'm sure) that Jay is suing Jeff because he was portrayed badly in IATTBYH.

edit: it does seem very odd to me that he's suing Jeff and not the label or management.