Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

So...two years lurking and my first message. Anyway, I think that this record is really strong. Someone mentioned John's contributions earlier, and I think that he has some great bass hooks here. I like Sky Blue Sky (really, I do), but John seemed a little subdued there. And I'm digging the layered vocals throughout WTA, too. And yes, Bull Black Nova is awesome.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the people who are saying these tracks are simple just aren't hearing what I'm hearing on headphones. There's a ton of sonic texturing going on. Deeper Down has about 200,000 instruments.

Sadly, a lot of people don't recognize certain sounds unless they hit them in the face.

And I didn't say it only sounded good on headphones, so you were just throwing an extraneous fact into a discussion grounded in opinions! :lol Let's you and I each go home today, you'll throw on some headphones and I'll pop the album on my stereo, and I guarantee you our opinions won't change either way - I'll still love it, you'll think it's mixed horribly.

See above. We're not supposed to talk about headphones.

ok - i'll stop with the headphones discussion, but music obviously sounds different through headphones than speakers - so it's perfectly reasonable to say that the album works well on one and not on the other. i think that a well produced album should work well on both though.

Guest Speed Racer
i think that a well produced album should work well on both though.

And I think that what qualifies as a well-produced album is pretty darned subjective. BT and AGIB are worlds apart in production, and I love them both for what they are; ABIG would not have worked for BT and vice versa. I think W(TA) is pretty awesome, and I'll think so later through speakers I'm betting.

i think that a well produced album should work well on both though.

This is very true. A lot of producers will listen to mixes on crappy car speakers in order to make sure they sound good in places other than huge studio monitors. I do think this record is well produced though. Instruments are clear and everything is really well textured

Just listened to this record on a pair of Energy RC10 Monitors. That listen coupled with my previous listen on the BD 770 headphones leads me to the earth-shattering conclusion:

This album sounds great on headphones AND stereo speakers!

Surprise, surprise. B)

The production on WTA is really, really good, so no matter how you hear it, as long as the source is good and your speakers/cans are of a nice quality, it's going to sound superb.

That said, WTA is going to shine on vinyl!

This is very true. A lot of producers will listen to mixes on crappy car speakers in order to make sure they sound good in places other than huge studio monitors. I do think this record is well produced though. Instruments are clear and everything is really well textured
I am not really sure anyone has done this since the 60s or early 70s, by which time rock and roll was not being simply listened to by teenagers driving around in cars and many people had good stereos to listen to records on. This may have been done by the Beach Boys circa 1964, but I doubt much later than that.

Havng not listened to this thing either through shitty computer speakers or any others (since I have not yet had the time to download this), I would suspect that we should reserve judgement on the sound of this album until a real one is bought. Downloads of leaked files are often not a good idea of what a real album sounds like.

LouieB

I am not really sure anyone has done this since the 60s or early 70s, by which time rock and roll was not being simply listened to by teenagers driving around in cars and many people had good stereos to listen to records on. This may have been done by the Beach Boys circa 1964, but I doubt much later than that.

Um.. I know a lot of people that still do this. You get a really strange sense of levels sometimes when you're listening on amazing speakers. For example, if you have huge subs in a studio, you wind up mixing the bass a lot lower than you normally would. It's still fairly common practice to listen to mixes in a variety of environments to make sure it sounds right when played in a way that normal people would be listening to it.

I posted this in the wrong thread:

You Never Know is what you'd get if Everday People by Sly and the Family Stone married My Sweet Lord and Wilco played the wedding.

I am so happy.

I just listened to it.

I don't smoke.

I need a cigarette!

:music

I posted this in the wrong thread:

You Never Know is what you'd get if Everday People by Sly and the Family Stone married My Sweet Lord and Wilco played the wedding.

I am so happy.

i'm picturing sly stone's bulldog killing and then raping george's sitar (cos it came to the reception in a hat) at this wedding - is that what you mean? :pirate

i'm picturing sly stones bulldog killing and then raping george's sitar (cos it came to the reception in a hat) at this wedding - is that what you mean? :pirate

I am picturing you listening to Animal Collective instead of posting silly comments in a thread about an album that people seem to be enjoying. :pirate

Who??? What major record was mixed on shitty speakers?

I think the idea was not that albums are mixed on shitty speakers, but that at some point during the process, some producers check their work on shitty speakers to make sure it sounds good on those, too.

These were my quick first impressions mainly meant for my wife who had left the house by the time I saw the stream was up. Naturally I listened and made these notes. I have not read anything written yet, but I will start now. You do not have to read this. I will not be offended. And I could be way off. But like I said, this is a quick first impression.

1. Wilco the Song - Already a classic in the HMD, Shot way. May get tiring eventually. album version sounds great

2. Deeper Down - fragmented. sounds less organic then SBS. Definitely some computer action from verse to verse

3. One Wing - quite different then the live lolla version. rocks hard at end.

4. Black Bull Nova - another very unique track. seems like it will translate great to a live show. longest song so far. loud

5. You and I - Duet! Similar to version at Vic solo show, excpet with Feist. Great song, favorite so far.

6. You never know - Would fit on SBS and All Things Must Pass. Terrific. Can't wait for live version.

7. My country disappeared - Nice harmony from John. Slower song. haven't been listening closely to lyrics so far, but these lyrics made me notice

8. Solitaire - sounds familiar but pretty sure this is first time hearing. harmony but does not sound like john. very pretty song

9. I'll fight - similar to solo version - sounds great with band - another very nice song

10. Sonny feeling - classic wilco/jeff. beach boy influenced.

11. Everlasting - heard in zoo and AA. glenns drums stick out. layered sound very full.

really sonds like an album with beginning middle end. great flow. cant wait to listen again

I've admittedly only listened through once, but my first impression is that some of the songwriting is a little elementary and week. Almost sounds like something a high schooler would scribble in their room in the night. I still need to listen to this on the road, though. Always helps to cruise the countryside to ease in to a new record.