Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

I can only base that judgement on past experience. Obviously the vinyl or cd version will sound better, but that is the case with all other albums that leak and I think are good or bad production wise. The things that I really don't like about it are the acoustic guitar sound (which I can put money on is recorded through a pick-up like Tweedy plays on stage) - now that is done from what I'd guess, because the people doing the producing want to make life easy. An acoustic guitar recorded through a mic takes up far more frequencies across the sound spectrum than it does using a pick-up, so it's easier to make it stand out. Trouble is that it sounds shit. Also using a keyboard instead of a real piano has the same effect - in fact piano is incredibly hard to record well and make it fit in the mix. To record piano and make it not make the sound of everything muddy and lower in volume is very hard to do, which is actually why honky tonk piano often sounds best on many albums - cos it's got no real bottom end, and so can cut through the mix and not swamp the sound. The easy option is just to use a keyboard. Easy, but it doesn't sound as good. I also can't hear the bass through my speakers, and the drums sound compressed. I just don't like it. Compared to AGIB, which I think was one of the best sounding modern rock albums I can think of, this just sounds very very average.

I'm with you on the natural acoustic and piano bit in theory (I don't hear the issues on WTA). But I disagree about the production on AGIB. It is my least favorite Wilco record (which is saying that cheese pizza is my least favorite pizza), and my issue is that I have to freaking strain to hear it. I always thought the production or mixing of that album was screwed. If Jeff wanted it to be quiet due to his health issues at the time that is fine, but I would like to hear the damn thing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took Aman's "I don't know about that" to be a reply to your "any record before 1968" statement - meaning, early rock n roll is not automatically poorly produced, aka better technology does not equal better production.

SirS - I need more from you than this. You really aren't digging the album?

This album clicked right away for me. I hope that ends up being a good thing. I think it will because I notice emotion translated really well on this album. SBS reminded of a Grateful Dead record - a collection of songs faithfully put to tape that were meant to be played live. This one here is a real record. One Wing, You And I, and Everlasting are standouts for me right now. I loved One Wing live (real gritty and spacy), I love this version (sorry for the pun, but it soars; it sounds great and very emotionally resonant), and I can't wait to see this live in the future. I hope they don't hold back on this one because it is kind of restrained on the record (Don't get me wrong I think it's perfect for a recorded version, but live they need to get crazy)

Anyone else with me on the emotionally resonant thing? I'm really "feeling" a lot of these songs. It's hard to put that into words, but you know kind of choked up at certain moments?

Oh yeah, absolutely. :yes

I took Aman's "I don't know about that" to be a reply to your "any record before 1968" statement - meaning, early rock n roll is not automatically poorly produced, aka better technology does not equal better production.

oh, i didn't mean automatically, but production didn't become nearly as big of part of the overall record process until around that time (Revolver, Pet Sounds, etc., so i guess i meant '65-66)

there's plenty of stuff from the 50's & early 60's with great production, no question (now prior to 1950 however...)

And it's subjective! I have an Elliott Smith b-side that sounds like it was recording on a cassette player in another room and converted to mp3, but it's a damned good song. The quality of the recording (including production) means not a damned thing to me if the song itself is top notch. You're talking about the artifact, which to me is something entirely separate than the song.

send me the song and i'll over-dub drums and piano on it and see if it's still just as good then.

This album clicked right away for me. I hope that ends up being a good thing. I think it will because I notice emotion translated really well on this album. SBS reminded of a Grateful Dead record - a collection of songs faithfully put to tape that were meant to be played live. This one here is a real record. One Wing, You And I, and Everlasting are standouts for me right now. I loved One Wing live (real gritty and spacy), I love this version (sorry for the pun, but it soars; it sounds great and very emotionally resonant), and I can't wait to see this live in the future. I hope they don't hold back on this one because it is kind of restrained on the record (Don't get me wrong I think it's perfect for a recorded version, but live they need to get crazy)

Anyone else with me on the emotionally resonant thing? I'm really "feeling" a lot of these songs. It's hard to put that into words, but you know kind of choked up at certain moments?

I'm definitely with you. I attribute a lot of that to Jeff's voice on this album and how it seems to be in front of everything else. Plus, I think he sounds great.

I'm with you on the natural acoustic and piano bit in theory (I don't hear the issues on WTA). But I disagree about the production on AGIB. It is my least favorite Wilco record (which is saying that cheese pizza is my least favorite pizza), and my issue is that I have to freaking strain to hear it. I always thought the production or mixing of that album was screwed. If Jeff wanted it to be quiet due to his health issues at the time that is fine, but I would like to hear the damn thing.

good point. it is a very "quiet" record with loud songs.

as for Wilco (the album)....it's really fun to listen to. You & I is just really sweet and nice.

I suppose it depends on what we like, what sort of deal moves us. I like ragged but right, I like live in the studio, but I also love Pet Sounds. I think all Wilco albums are great, but really I prefer the sound and style of the first two above all others.

finally heard the last half of the album. Really enjoyed it.

Sonny (is it sunny or Sonny?) Feeling sounds like a track right off of Summerteeth.

I will Fight is like a upbeat version of On and On.

Everlasting is a great ending song..not sure what you are complaing about it's length for..I think its perfect.

Will have to hear more of Country Disappearing to form a final opinion, but i thought it was good in general.

So glad to have new Wilco to listen too...

SirS - I need more from you than this. You really aren't digging the album?

Yeah I really only have dug You Never Know & Sonny Feeling so far.

I don't know how else to say it: it doesn't sound/feel like a Wilco album to me. The songs sound like each is a contribution to a compilation album. What the fuck does that mean, I don't quite know.

Of course I'm not cementing my feelings for it - could end up my favorite Wilco album someday. Just surprised how little it moves me.

Definitely emotional.

Everlasting might be Jeff's most Lennon-ish epic yet. I agree it ends too soon--maybe in concert they'll play it out further. I think this one could play better live than Reservations or On and On and On. Wow.

I can see on some level how this album isn't as heart on the sleeve as past albums. But to me, the songcraft is just so strong that this album is undeniable. This might be Tweedy's best set of melodies, which says a lot.

I think the issue some people may have is that the album doesn't really have a mood like YHF, GIB, SBS did. It's much more single song based like Summerteeth was. That's not a bad thing, it's just a departure from their last three albums.

The things that I really don't like about it are the acoustic guitar sound (which I can put money on is recorded through a pick-up like Tweedy plays on stage) - now that is done from what I'd guess, because the people doing the producing want to make life easy. An acoustic guitar recorded through a mic takes up far more frequencies across the sound spectrum than it does using a pick-up, so it's easier to make it stand out.

I've always assumed that Tweedy's guitars onstage have an under-the-saddle pickup along with the in-the-hole one.

I'd bet his guitars are multitracked and that he has the guitar miked in addition to whatever onboard pickups he has. At least that's pretty standard stuff.

Ok, now that I have it on iTunes...

1) "I'll Fight" has been changed to "Conscript"

2) "My Country Has Disappeared" has been changed to "Crush The Cities!"

3) "Everlasting" has been changed to "Dark Neon".

And all is well now with W(TA)!

What about Su(o)nny Feeling?

How many great songs have bad production? It's all part of the same package - a great song needs great production to make it great.

I love bantering with you, but you should get a whole new Yorktown for this malarky.