Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

Ok, now that I have it on iTunes...

1) "I'll Fight" has been changed to "Conscript"

2) "My Country Has Disappeared" has been changed to "Crush The Cities!"

3) "Everlasting" has been changed to "Dark Neon".

And all is well now with W(TA)!

:dontgetit But "Dark Neon" is a completely different song than "Everlasting Everything."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love bantering with you, but you should get a whole new Yorktown for this malarky.

:huh what's a Yorktown? It better be something nice!

edit: alright i've googled it. you've hurt my feelings - will you ever forgive us for helping you build your country before savagely turning on your creators?! we know how god feels.

I disagree, but that's ok. I like a shorter album, or if it has to be very long, a double album.

He's not saying it is good because it is 42 minutes. It's a nice, concise running time for an album he likes.

Would I take 75 minutes of good music over 42? Sure, but I think the quality of albums tends to dip when they got longer.

I think I generally think of album length max as being what could fit on one vinyl record.

I think Animal Collective's last one was great and it breaks that, but I think at least one song could have been shaved off of that one and not lose the vibe and feel of the album.

If you have more great music than that, then consider an EP a few months down the road.

How many great songs have bad production? It's all part of the same package - a great song needs great production to make it great.

Songs? How about entire albums.

dtexasct.jpg

I've googled it and replied to you above. Let that be the end of it! :monkey

So you're saying you like the album then?

Songs? How about entire albums.

dtexasct.jpg

before everyone starts reeling off a whole list of lo-fi sound recordings. i never said lo-fi/homemade production was bad productiion. it's just a type of production, and one that suits lots of music. lots of lo-fi albums would probably sound shit if they were given a full studio production feel etc... sometimes the lo-fi feel is the "great production" i'm speaking of. "great" does not mean state of the art, it just means a production that is integral to the quality of the finsihed product.

just want to add my 2 cents about this production thing.

Anyone that thinks great songs have to have great production is sadly missing out on some of the best stuff the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s. 80s, 90s, 00s had to offer. Really you are missing out on a LOT of stuff. Better go do some homework.

that being said..the production on this album is just fine. It's not OK Computer quality, but it's a lot more defined that Double Nickles on A Dime. Both timeless albums.

Bull Black Nova sounds like a panic attack.

agreed, that song came on just as i got on the dupont circle escalator, one of the steepest escalators in the dc metro system. i thought, i'm not going to walk this and instead will let the escalator take me to the top so i can spend more time enjoying wilco. and then i started to panic with an overwhelming sensation of tumbling down the escalator and had to climb the thing. i'm weird like that.

that being said..the production on this album is just fine.

Everyone keeps talking about good and bad production, but that's a very subjective concept. You have a lot of guys like M. Ward who fear the big fancy sterile studios and pass them up for small operations. He's even gone as far as recording in his friend's attic.

There is such a thing as over-production, and in a way, it seems WTA has lost something from that.

I think I am the only one that thinks Sunny Feeling is lametastic. I'm a little insulted by the Summerteeth comparisons.

You should only feel insulted if you are Jay Bennett. I like Sonny Feeling.

Sorry about the hip thing.

Guest Speed Racer

You know, I thought for a long time that I didn't like the production on SBS, but what it actually was were all the pedals. I'm not saying this is what anyone means when they're speaking of the production of W(TA), but that's what it was for me; the guitar tones were just soooo overdone for my taste.

So does anyone have any ideas or suspicions about what songs on this album will get the Please Be Patient With Me and Leave Me Like You Found Me treatment in concert? I can't think of any. I think everything has a good shot of being played and rotated. I am interested to see how they pull off Deeper Down live.

I guess for me the three songs I can't wait to hear live or on a boot that hopefully surfaces over the next month: Bull Black Nova, Everlasting, Deeper Down.

It'll be interesting to see how far apart they keep Spiders and Bull Black Nova from each other in the sets. Or maybe not at all.

That being said, I'm really super excited now to see Wilco in July with 11 amazing songs to look forward to hearing.

Kristofor

Guest Speed Racer
I would imagine You & I and Solitaire won't get a lot of play in their setlists. Maybe Country Disappeared.

Aw I think a Jeff & John duet of You & I would be ridiculously cute. :wub