Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At our show I asked Jeff what they'd do live for Feist's parts and he said he didn't know; not sing them? Pat and John were deemed not feminine enough.

three men singing that song together sounds pretty feminine to me.

Really dissapointing how they sucked the epicness right out of One Wing, it's like they dad rocked it down. Such a shame.

Nope, I disagree. I find it to be a much more superior version than when it was done live! In fact, I didn't even really like this song... until now!

Really dissapointing how they sucked the epicness right out of One Wing, it's like they dad rocked it down. Such a shame.

Anything that makes a song sound less like SBS is the opposite of dad rocking it.

This definitely feels like Wilco the album. A little taste of everything from the back catalog ... like a greatest hits album.

Loving everything except maybe Country Disappeared... little too SBS for my tastes. Like everyone, I can't wait till I get to hear these songs live!

Time will tell but there 5 songs that are as good or better as anything they've put out:

Deeper Down, Bull Black Nova, One Wing, I'll Fight, Sonny Feeling

before everyone starts reeling off a whole list of lo-fi sound recordings. i never said lo-fi/homemade production was bad productiion. it's just a type of production, and one that suits lots of music. lots of lo-fi albums would probably sound shit if they were given a full studio production feel etc... sometimes the lo-fi feel is the "great production" i'm speaking of. "great" does not mean state of the art, it just means a production that is integral to the quality of the finsihed product.

the issue is that production is SUCH a personal thing... you can't point to one specific record or producer and say with any sort of factual backing that it is "good production"

some people love glossy production, some love rough around the edges, some love lo-fi. there's good and band examples of both, and we will all likely disagree on many of those examples.

neutral_center.jpg

Actually Aeroplane is one of my favorite "sounding" albums of the last twenty or so years, probably because it was all done on vintage equipment. I think the mix of the leak might just not be excellent, the bass is really low in my copy but I can hear pretty good bass-lines under everything. The production on some of the songs reminds me more of the single mixes for their Reprise-era songs, like A Shot in The Arm, Can't Stand It, or Outtasite than the O'Rourke records, but it hasn't been a buzzkill.

Listened to it two more times today driving around. My favorite songs so far have been You Never Know, Bull Black Nova, Solitaire, and One Wing (I actually love the edit on this song, there's just enough of the freakout at the end, but I think they've done the "slow building song into long guitar solos" thing enough on the last two records).

Oh and does Jeff sing "surburban gangster flow" for one line in Sonny Feeling?

--Mike

Oh and does Jeff sing "surburban gangster flow" for one line in Sonny Feeling?

--Mike

Yes. And it could be the greatest line in a wilco song. ever.

I just hope the next album isnt a gangsta rap album with Jay Z, lil wayne, and kanye supplying vocals instead of feist...

before everyone starts reeling off a whole list of lo-fi sound recordings. i never said lo-fi/homemade production was bad productiion. it's just a type of production, and one that suits lots of music. lots of lo-fi albums would probably sound shit if they were given a full studio production feel etc... sometimes the lo-fi feel is the "great production" i'm speaking of. "great" does not mean state of the art, it just means a production that is integral to the quality of the finsihed product.

How about "Rocks Off" from Exile on Main Street. Sir Mick says that it's shit production. I think it's a great song. Who wins?

I'm really liking this thing so far.

I was scared about the duet w/ Feist. I was half expecting an indie version of "Islands in the Stream". I'm glad it doesn't suck. I'm glad that it kinda sounds like her contributions are something between a "real" duet and backing vocals.

Bull Black Nova is my favorite song so far. I can understand the comparisons w/ Spiders, but that's not what I think of when I hear it. I think of "The Ghost of You Lingers" by Spoon - ga ga ga ga ga ga ga ga... The best part of that song for me though are the vocals. They're sung with the same kind of urgency as the best parts of Misunderstood.

My first impression is that this one fits in comfortably on my second-tier of Wilco albums alongside BT, AGIB & SBS - which is not a bad place for it to be. Also, I'm taking my third pass, and it doesn't sound like there is a single track on here that I would go out of my way to skip. On EVERY Wilco album except YHF there is at least one song where I will drop just about anything that I'm doing to not have to listen to - to move on to the next, better song. I'm sure I'll get plenty of disagreement on the songs that just don't do it for me, but I'm not hearing a Passenger Side, Hotel Arizona, We're Just Friends, Shake it Off or Hate it Here on this one. That alone is not enough to make it BEST ALBUM EVAR!!! but it I think it does make it a very solid effort.

How about "Rocks Off" from Exile on Main Street. Sir Mick says that it's shit production. I think it's a great song. Who wins?

It's the mix he does not like. It is getting re-issued this year.

Anything that makes a song sound less like SBS is the opposite of dad rocking it.

The live version sounded more AGIB to me.

Also, I just wanted to use the very meaningful words 'dad rock' in a sentence. Next up: comptemporary adult.

:omg

just finished listening to the whole thing.

1st impressions-

the drumming on Everlasting might be my favorite drum track on any wilco song ever. and the ending def should have been at least a minute longer. it reminds me of the noise at the end of reservations.

bull black nova reminds me of waking up from a horrible dream, in the best way possible

it's gonna take about 50 listens to really get a good grasp of this sucker.

i'm gonna take the long way home from work tonight to listen to it in the car.

Sarah

PS- thank you Wilco! I

what a surprise! just went on the site to check it out and there's a new site design and the album! WoW

the loft section is really cool. i snooped around on there for about 20 minutes

Guest Speed Racer
the loft section is really cool. i snooped around on there for about 20 minutes

:omg CHICKEN OR EGG!?! CHICKEN OR EGG?!?! CHICKEN OR EGG!?! CHICKEN OR EGG?!?! :omg

I have now given this one full listen and will go through it many more times but my overall feeling is Wilco is just a very different band these days. While there are some nice songs on here, the immediacy and mystery of Ghost and Yankee and even the lyrics of Summerteeth are gone. Personally I still don't like SBS and it was the first wilco album where there are just some bad songs on there (You are my face and Side with the Seeds are the best). So far I feel that Bull Black Nova is the most exciting and interesting song, You and I and Solitaire are beautiful songs, deeper down has some great lyrics, but I did find my attention waning. The first four songs almost feel as if they belong on a different album then the rest. There is no sense of mystery in the first listen of this album, although I do agree that most of these songs will be quite good live. Wilco is trending more towards the Grateful Dead these days with studio songs the are constructed nicely but don't live up to their potential until they are worked through live.

Jeff Tweedy has worked through his demons and that is what is missing from these last two efforts. He as well as the band have moved on into new intellectual territories, I just miss the old Wilco. I mean think about the fact that the entire mood of Ghost was someone disappearing into themselves, retreating farther within. The first song on this is the exact opposite sentiment and while it is a nice song it just shows that the demons that once drove the sound and soul of this band are gone. Of course I am happy that they are in a better space, of course and with a new outlook comes new songs constructed from different places. With all that being said there is still some wonderful song craft in here and something to hold onto for most of the fans of this remarkable band.... Now if you will excuse me I need to go give it a few more listens. :music

Ok, a few thoughts on everyone elses thoughts. Can we put away the lame "Dad Rock" put down. I'm a dad and I like Wilco and if that makes something unhip then that is wierd and a shame. Eric Clapton is "Dad Rock". Wilco is a rock band who is admittedly not in their peak but still very worth it. (I don't take the Dad Rock thing personal, it just feels lazy and code for "not Grizzly Bear enough") Who freaking cares?

Secondly, I get it SBS is not everyone's favorite, but some here treat it like The Backstreet Boys comback album. My God there are some super ass solid songs on that record and there are no absolute clunkers despite people professing "Leave Me Like You Found Me" to be the equivalent of "We Built This City".

Maybe I'm just sad because I see the Wilco fan base becoming more hipster than I thought.