Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

i see it as them finding their groove... then the lineup will change again after the tours for this album, and they'll start the cycle over again :)

i sure hope not.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i remember all that too but there is a whole lot about family and living on and seems like its a statement about sacrifice and the things you will do for the ones you love. Especially the "like Jesus" line.

Yeah, there is a lot of that too. It seems to be in the context of saying that the person who didn't go will be able to appreciate and do those things in the future. But then there's the whole "my love will come across" line at the end so ... it doesn't all seem to fit into any simple storyline to me. I need another listen later.

i sure hope not.

we'll see, Wilco has never been exactly a band with a stable lineup but seems like Jeff is finally pretty happy with the current lineup.

that said, if it's the lineup changes that is necessary to keep Wilco on their toes, then whatever happens is fine by me

About 5 listens in and I really like the album. Not sure where I'd rank it yet - probably not their best, but very good.

"One Wing" just shines here - love it.

"Bull Black Nova" is also very good, but I think I was anticipating something more badass/experimental. victim of early hype in the press, I think.

"Solitaire" is just beautiful.

The rest of the album is solid - the only song I can't get in to after 4-5 listens is "You Never Know" - those 70s-esque pop melodies just don't work for me. Reminds me of listening to my mom's AM radio station when I was a kid (and not in a good way).

we'll see, Wilco has never been exactly a band with a stable lineup but seems like Jeff is finally pretty happy with the current lineup.

that said, if it's the lineup changes that is necessary to keep Wilco on their toes, then whatever happens is fine by me

yeah that is true, but I sure will be sad if it happens.

Is this the longest span a line-up of wilco has been together?

For the people wringing their hands over "You Never Know" sounding like "My Sweet Lord": "My Sweet Lord" actually ripped off The Chiffons' "He's So Fine", so it's not as if "My Sweet Lord" is some sacred cow. The links are undeniable, but I don't think that detracts from any of those songs. I like them all.

George Harrison eventually bought the rights to "He's So Fine" - maybe Jeff Tweedy will one day buy the rights to both songs from the Harrison estate. :P

How about "Rocks Off" from Exile on Main Street. Sir Mick says that it's shit production. I think it's a great song. Who wins?

that's a good example of "never trust the artist's opinion" they're too close to it to make a rational judgement.

i should just state now, that when i'm calling this "bad production" i'm judging it alongside a couple of their other albums, which i think are the best produced albums of recent years, and also alongside other bands whose music i rate as highly as bands i love from the 50s, 60, 70s etc.... this is still better produced than a lot of modern music - it's just a long way short of being great, or what i'd expect from them. it's not even as well produced as SBS which i don't dislike, but wouldn't get in a fight over. i think worst of all with this new one is that it sounds like i'd have expected it to sound before i heard it, which is something that always loses a band marks in my book.

Um thanks for the "heated" response :) but I have been around long enough to know old vs new Wilco and what this band is like now. Wilco began evolving into an experimental band during the Being There days but of course they were still in that alt country phase. SBS always seemed like a progression from the AM, Being there alt country days and that to me was odd seeing that they are a collection of experimental musicians. I mean I have sat through a Nels show in which he sang through the pickups on his guitar for 12 minutes. The sound was undoubtly different then the previous 3 albums for SBS. The bottom line here is that there really is no old wilco and that was an errant phrase to use on my part. This band has shifted personalities and moods so often that you really can't nail them down but yea it does seem like the sonic exploration of the past is for the most part over.

Yeah, I kind of got ranty, but I'm sensitive to this whole they need to be YHF all of time and SBS was so lame stuff. I just meant Wilco started as a song/melody focused band and no matter what has been strapped on, desconstructed, experimented with, etc etc, Wilco is still and has alwasy been a song/melody based band that has never changed. For me the hardest songs to get into will always be Spiders and now Bull Black Nova because I think those are out of this bands comfort zone. Everything else in the catalogue fits as strong melody based songs.

I'm halfway through my second listen. I'm really digging the album. I think it's better than SBS (which, after listening to it again isn't a bad album, just not my favorite) but not sure where it ranks otherwise.

I like the '70s pop-ness of "You Never Know" and like the harmony Feist (it is Feist, right?) brings to "You And I." Not sure if I have a favorite song yet (and even if I did, it'd probably change after a few listens anyway) but overall I think it's a good album.

For the music nerds out there, One Wing at Lolla was in A minor (or C major), on the record we move to F# minor (A major).

I'm sure some of you dug my tabs of SBS so quickly so in the coming days I'll dissect the record. God knows what I'll do for Black Bull Nova.

I'll Fight - To me the song is so good that it has a different meaning every time I play it.

I think the repeated part is sort of a tongue in cheek "brainwashing" reference either from a soldier's or lover's perception. People being trained to kill for love of their country or for the love of a lover or both.

I still think I hear "I'll vote" in the first 30 seconds of the song. Which makes it even more interesting.

But all of that being said I still think the underlying sentiment is very heartfelt. Like some have mentioned along the same lines as say When The Roses Bloom Again or At My Window Sad & Lonely.

Kristofor

Guest Speed Racer

Okay, so now that I have most of the lyrics to Bull Black Nova (thanks, lyrics thread!), I still don't think it's about murder. I mean, the metaphors, yeah, but it sounds to be an awful lot like an extended metaphor for a relapse. I think I might be holding a hammer on this one, but anyone else's thoughts?

Songs? How about entire albums.

dtexasct.jpg

she actually went to my high school. i had no idea someone from Gilmer had been even semi-famous until i saw this movie, The Rachel Papers, and she had a song on there.

BTW - is there any place non Quicktime/Mac people can stream this?

work doesn't allow any Quicktime, etc to be downloaded.

Okay, so now that I have most of the lyrics to Bull Black Nova (thanks, lyrics thread!), I still don't think it's about murder. I mean, the metaphors, yeah, but it sounds to be an awful lot like an extended metaphor for a relapse. I think I might be holding a hammer on this one, but anyone else's thoughts?

Jeff actually said in some interview that this is about a guy who killed his girlfriend. But again, it could work on multiple levels. Most certainly.

Speed Racer,

I like your idea about Bull Black Nova. It's interesting when I have panic attacks, I want to abandon my body sometime. Awful feeling.

So I think the idea that the song is kind of set in a car that is known as a muscle car for speeding makes sense. Almost like running away from yourself or your problems. In fact, the song does kind of sound like what a car chase or rather speeding away from nothing would sound like. There's definitely a feeling of stuff catching up to the song narrator in the lyrics and melody. Bernard Herrmann would be proud.

There's also hints of either hypochondria or really hurting yourself in the lyrics.

Kristofor

PS BTW, what was your exact relapse you had in mind ?

Edit: 2 things that I forgot to mention.

1. I think I hear Keep Calm or Pick Up (like listed in the lyrics section) at the end.

2. I mean this in the best way possible...doesn't Bull Black Nova feel much longer than it is?

Guest Speed Racer
PS BTW, what was your exact relapse you had in mind ?

Nothing specific - anyone who has experienced profound anxiety, or drug/alcohol related physical symptoms would have no trouble hearing the lyrics this way (that's what I meant about holding a hammer on this one: everything might look like a nail to me). Lines like "i'm not going far" coupled with "this can't be undone", "I wonder if they know," but especially the references to hair for some reason - this feeling of wanting to get out of your body and eliminate all the evidence of the problem.

I dunno; I'll probably never hear it as a murder song myself. Either way, it's badass.

edit: Yes! It does feel longer than that is in the "I'm using a small spoon to eat the same amount of ice cream!" way. Savory.