Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

Because the songs don't require it? Bull Black Nova and Solitaire are both songs that I think would suffer greatly with facny background vocals - they're isolation songs. W(TS) has good backgrounds, and I don't see any need to add anything more interesting. You & I is a 'she/him' kinda You & I, and I think that song would lose its impact with John or Pat picking up the backing vocals - again, it's either an 'us' song (enter Feist, who I think is just swell on this track) or a 'me to you' song (no backgrounds).

I'm thinking back to Summerteeth, which I think has the most interesting background vocals of any Wilco record (call and response stuff, and for lack of a better word, 'flair'), and I just don't know that any of the songs would have been bolstered by this kind of treatment. I'm glad they're doing less of the CSNY-style wall vocals than SBS (YAMF was great, but that stuff gets old).

I don't think it's got anything to do with the music requiring it or not, it's just not what they do. It's not like Nels gets told he has to play kazoo on this track, cos it doesn't need lead guitar. They play the songs in a pretty formulaic way, in that sense. There are also quite a few soul songs with lots and lots of backing singing on them which seem able to express the feelings of isolation and whatever else you think those songs are about - so background singing hardly prevents those kinds of emotions coming through - if anything it tends to heighten it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think John Stirratt has a take on his harmonies that has been as much of Wilco's sound as anything else. He is the perfect counterpoint to Tweedy -- when backing vocals are needed. I wouldn't change a thing in that regards. They've expanded upon it when need be for the sound (Summerteeth, and with a few of the new tracks).

I don't think they've ever expanded on it, not even on Summerteeth - that's still just bog-standard background singing really.

Double tracking Jeff's own vocals on a song called Solitaire seems fitting. I know you weren't specifically talking about that one, but anyhow.

well i was also thinking about how they've got a song called Wilco (The Song) which is fun and could easily get away with something a bit different vocally, and only Jeff is allowed to sing. They could have easily taken turns singing lines and mixing it up a bit, a bit like old bands like The Band used to do. It would have also been fun to have heard the song split up in a way that allowed all the members to come to the fore for a time, a bit like Dance To The Music by Sly & The Family Stone, type of thing - it's not like the lyrics are that good that they couldn't have been reworked around that notion.

well i was also thinking about how they've got a song called Wilco (The Song) which is fun and could easily get away with something a bit different vocally, and only Jeff is allowed to sing. They could have easily taken turns singing lines and mixing it up a bit, a bit like old bands like The Band used to do. It would have also been fun to have heard the song split up in a way that allowed all the members to come to the fore for a time, a bit like Dance To The Music by Sly & The Family Stone, type of thing - it's not like the lyrics are that good that they couldn't have been reworked around that notion.

Oh man. Now all I can think about are horrible 80s/early 90s songs that do this. Color Me Badd had a song on their first (only?) album. The lyrics included something like "We'd like to introduce us ... we're Color Me Bad the funky new baaand!" They even mentioned their record company. The chorus was just the band name repeated a bunch of times. (Forgive me, I was about 10 when it came out.)

Also there was a NKOTB song where they all introduced themselves. I think it was a rap. On their first album. Not sure if they all sang.

OMG, these are the precursors to Wilco (the song)! Oh holy shit, someone was mentioning that it's never been done before but it totally has! Oh noooo. Now I'm going to be imagining the songs superimposed on one another.

Everyone taking lead on Wilco (The Song) would be extremely cheesy in my opinion, which also happens to be fact.

Guest Speed Racer

They also could start choreographing dance routines during jams, but that ain't likely to happen. They've never traded vocals before, and I really don't think it would contribute anything but a big giant "NOVELTY!" sign to any of the songs.

I like "You and I", but when I first heard it all I could think about was Elton John and Kiki Dee.

Good lord, that's all I could think about walking to the coffee shop yesterday morning! :lol

Everyone taking lead on Wilco (The Song) would be extremely cheesy in my opinion, which also happens to be fact.

New Kids on the Block (yes, it's a self-titled song)

We know you've heard this beat many, many times

But we bet you've never heard it with such a vicious rhyme

A rhyme with class and plenty of clout

To show you sucker m.c.'s what it's about

We hear the same stories everywhere we go

Hey, it's nynuk who stole the show

So for all you party people who are in a state of shock

We're the new kids on the block!

Chillin' on the corner, the first day we arrived

from the looks of the hoods, we didn't think we'd survive

Second day we were there, we were walking down the street

With a rhyme in mind and a funky beat

But when we turned into the alley, to our surprise

We saw a bunch of hoods right before our eyes

They looked us up and down once, twice and again

There must have been a hundred to a hundred and ten

So, I looked over my shoulder right at my friend

He said 'nice knowing you' but this is the end

So we battened down the hatches and prepared to fight

Then all of a sudden I seen the light

The time was right, the time to rock

'cause everybody knows, we're the new kids on the block.

We're also devastating when we're on stage

The fans start screaming and yelling with rage

With mic's in hand and rhymes with clout

So watch it sucker mcs or we're gonna turn you out

We never talk trash, our rhymes are clean

Our rhymes are never vague and we say nothing obscene

So any sucker mcs who wanna battle us

Can you go at least 20 lines without a cuss?

Cause once we start to jam, you'll be in a state of shock

Clear the way party people, we're the new kids on the block

Move it sucker mcs or you're gonna feel the wrath

So don't get caught up in the aftermath

Cause we're the funky mcs of the hip hop craze

Our rhymes are done by law and are sure to amaze

With a dj cutting records, steady cross bass

We'll leave all you party people stuck in a daze

I say we're fresh, new and you know it's true

Now let me introduce you to the rest of the crew

J, he's fresh. he's the master of mix

There ain't no rhyme that he can't fix

Spinster's next, he's the king of the spin

And if you wanna battle, you ain't gonna win

Then there's popeye, but we call him joe

The kid's so fresh, you'll never be bored

Next is jon, whose word is true

But the party people know him as the runner gq

I'm dexter p. the wizard of word

I'm the greatest mc that you've ever heard

Now that you know we're a gang and you know we don't play

We're the new kids on the block and we're here to stay

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhrock!!!

It kind of ruins the point, but I don't think they all take turns singing this song. I think it's mostly Donnie rocking the mic. They all come in one some words for emphasis, though.

Now I'm totally thinking about Rapper's Delight:

"Well, so far you've heard my voice, but I brought five friends along; and next on the mike is my man Nels, so come on, Nels, sing that song..."

OK, ouch:

We never talk trash' date=' our rhymes are clean

Clear the way party people, we're the new kids on the block[/quote']

They also could start choreographing dance routines during jams, but that ain't likely to happen. They've never traded vocals before, and I really don't think it would contribute anything but a big giant "NOVELTY!" sign to any of the songs.

Yeah, it'd be just like a Boy Band really. Poets don't share their lyrics with nobody!

Guest Speed Racer
It is cheesy as it is. Like I said - it could been Dance To The Music style good, it's not it'd be doomed to failure just for trying. Also maybe it could've been this type of level of goodness:

The Turtles - I'm Chief Kamanawanalea (We're the Royal Macadamia Nuts)

That type of thing.

Your definition of 'good' is queer. My reactions to 'Dance To the Music' are not all that different from what an ulcer feels like, I'm guessing.

Now I'm totally thinking about Rapper's Delight:

"Well, so far you've heard my voice, but I brought five friends along; and next on the mike is my man Nels, so come on, Nels, sing that song..."

HAAAA. Oh no. Between this, NKOTB and Color Me Badd, this song is never going to be the same to me.

It is cheesy as it is. Like I said - it could been Dance To The Music style good, it's not it'd be doomed to failure just for trying. Also maybe it could've been this type of level of goodness:

The Turtles - I'm Chief Kamanawanalea (We're the Royal Macadamia Nuts)

That type of thing.

That song is on The Turtles Present the Battle of the Bands - isn't it?

New Kids on the Block (yes, it's a self-titled song)

We know you've heard this beat many, many times

But we bet you've never heard it with such a vicious rhyme

A rhyme with class and plenty of clout

To show you sucker m.c.'s what it's about

We hear the same stories everywhere we go

Hey, it's nynuk who stole the show

So for all you party people who are in a state of shock

We're the new kids on the block!

Chillin' on the corner, the first day we arrived

from the looks of the hoods, we didn't think we'd survive

Second day we were there, we were walking down the street

With a rhyme in mind and a funky beat

But when we turned into the alley, to our surprise

We saw a bunch of hoods right before our eyes

They looked us up and down once, twice and again

There must have been a hundred to a hundred and ten

So, I looked over my shoulder right at my friend

He said 'nice knowing you' but this is the end

So we battened down the hatches and prepared to fight

Then all of a sudden I seen the light

The time was right, the time to rock

'cause everybody knows, we're the new kids on the block.

We're also devastating when we're on stage

The fans start screaming and yelling with rage

With mic's in hand and rhymes with clout

So watch it sucker mcs or we're gonna turn you out

We never talk trash, our rhymes are clean

Clear the way party people, we're the new kids on the block

Move it sucker mcs or you're gonna feel the wrath

So don't get caught up in the aftermath

Cause we're the funky mcs of the hip hop craze

Our rhymes are done by law and are sure to amaze

With a dj cutting records, steady cross bass

We'll leave all you party people stuck in a daze

I say we're fresh, new and you know it's true

Now let me introduce you to the rest of the crew

J, he's fresh. he's the master of mix

There ain't no rhyme that he can't fix

Spinster's next, he's the king of the spin

And if you wanna battle, you ain't gonna win

Then there's popeye, but we call him joe

The kid's so fresh, you'll never be bored

Next is jon, whose word is true

But the party people know him as the runner gq

I'm dexter p. the wizard of word

I'm the greatest mc that you've ever heard

Now that you know we're a gang and you know we don't play

We're the new kids on the block and we're here to stay

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhrock!!!

It kind of ruins the point, but I don't think they all take turns singing this song. I think it's mostly Donnie rocking the mic. They all come in one some words for emphasis, though.

yeah, like i said, or it could be like this:

Dance To The Music which pretty much pisses over anything that Wilco (The Song) has in it as it stands - so it's not like it couldn't do with some improving.

That song is on The Turtles Present the Battle of the Bands - isn't it?

yeah - great album. i think it's sampled in the Beastie Boys song Jimmy James too (i could be wrong, but it's definately a Beastie Boys sample)

monkees.jpg

Hey hey we're the Monkees, people say we monkey around, but we're too busy singing, to put anybody down

I am not ashamed to say that is from memory :P

Dance To The Music which pretty much pisses over anything that Wilco (The Song) has in it as it stands - so it's not like it couldn't do with some improving.

I really like Dance to the Music, but I don't know that I can go along with it pissing all over Wilco (The Song).

a while ago - it's pretty hard to find now on cd, actually. goes for about $60 or so, i think. i think the original vinyl goes for much more.

I just bought all of the Sundazed Boxtops re-issues, as well as, the Moby Grape bonus track cd compilation they just put out.

I think it would be interesting to hear Wilco do something like that - it would probably be cool in a live setting.

I really like Dance to the Music, but I don't know that I can go along with it pissing all over Wilco (The Song).

Because it's trying to be fun and irreverent, and achieves it. But, I don't think Wilco (The Song) does that - certainly not on the same level anyway. I think Wilco would kill for a "Dance To The Music" where they could freestyle and bring the crowd up to high level whenever they felt like it - you can't really see that happening with Wilco (The Song) although it would have been a perfect idea for a song to have attempted that on.