Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

Another surprise for me is how much I like Feist's presence on this record. Never thought this would be a great matchup, but I can almost hear her backing vocals on other songs (One Wing, Solitaire..). I hope the partnership continues in some way.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't say why, but Bull Black Nova reminds me somehow of Corduroy Cutoff Girl.

I was actually thinking that Bull Black Nova reminds me of "Wynona's big brown beaver". At least that ba-bom-bom, ba-bom-bom bass line.

It seems WAY obvious to me. And I like Wilco's intent and execution.

"Do you dabble in depression". "Someone twisting a knife in your back". "Are you being attacked."

If something in your life sucks and bringing you down, Wilco is always there. Pop in a cd of Wilco that you love. Get out of your funk.

If you don't like Wilco, pop in a White Stripes disc or ABBA. Let music be your "pillow to cry on".

I think it's genius song, done in a fun, rockin' way.

I really like it - has a nice Pot Kettle Black bounce to it, plus the Bowie drone.

BTW: How many other rock bands have name-checked themselves in one of their songs?

I was actually thinking that Bull Black Nova reminds me of "Wynona's big brown beaver". At least that ba-bom-bom, ba-bom-bom bass line.

:yay

I will add my 2 cents now about the album. I have had it on pretty much all day now.

It's a hard album to review as it's SBS meets Summerteeth but more layered. It's a beautiful album full of surprises. I can't get enough of this record and love every minute of it. Normally after the 6 or 7th album bands go down hill but to me this is as strong as most of their older albums. So many catchy tunes and just can't wait to hear them live this summer :) I like SBS but this kicks its ass and than some!

This was on a thread before. It was WAY more than I thought. "Bad Company" and "Okkervil River Song" are 2.

Big Country.

I can't say that without cracking a smile

I really like it - has a nice Pot Kettle Black bounce to it, plus the Bowie drone.

BTW: How many other rock bands have name-checked themselves in one of their songs?

Punk bands used to do it a lot.

who are these people on other boards saying this new album is boring... if wilco (the album) is boring then sbs must have been hella boring to them. i think the new album is much better paced than the predecessor. i'm starting to like it a lot - wish i had some quality mp3s to listen to though.

This was on a thread before. It was WAY more than I thought. "Bad Company" and "Okkervil River Song" are 2.

Nirvana... is the only one i can think of off the top of my head

Just finished a first listen and immediately did a pre-order (love the tote!). I'm really, really happy with the whole thing.

Did I hear a musical saw on one track? Or was that just another of those electronic things? Either way, I liked it.

You and I is my fave but the one about Kids Grow up! is right up there, too. Will have to listen again to have more concrete reflections. Just had to sign in after two years or so to share my smile. :thumbup

who are these people on other boards saying this new album is boring... if wilco (the album) is boring then sbs must have been hella boring to them. i think the new album is much better paced than the predecessor. i'm starting to like it a lot - wish i had some quality mp3s to listen to though.

Nirvana... is the only one i can think of off the top of my head

Nirvana actually took their name from that lyric. When they wrote that song, they were touring under a different name, so I don't know if that counts.

It's a hard album to review as it's SBS meets Summerteeth but more layered. It's a beautiful album full of surprises. I can't get enough of this record and love every minute of it. Normally after the 6 or 7th album bands go down hill but to me this is as strong as most of their older albums. So many catchy tunes and just can't wait to hear them live this summer :) I like SBS but this kicks its ass and than some!

:thumbup

My sentiment exactly

so what happened to the song called "i will, i will" - is that song renamed or something?

also what happened to the songs they had made for sbs but were never released? i wonder if they are ever going to put those out on a demo tape or try to sell them to someone

Three consecutive listens in and this new album certainly has potential and an appeal that will far outlast the previous album. Pacing seems a bit better, there are some very good songs on this and a few really great moments. I doubt it will be any kind of masterpiece and it is certainly no YHF or AGIB but it is an improvement on the SBS album. I highly doubt anything will surpass The Decemberists album for me this year. Maybe Bill Callahan's new one.

Did I just damn this with faint praise?

Guest Speed Racer
so what happened to the song called "i will, i will" - is that song renamed or something?

I'll Fight

also what happened to the songs they had made for sbs but were never released? i wonder if they are ever going to put those out on a demo tape or try to sell them to someone

Probably nothing. They recorded over 30 songs for Being There; Old Maid, a Being There reject, was finally completed and released in 2003 on "You Can Never Go Fast Enough," a compilation for some odd thing. Jeff said at the January 2003 Vic shows that, "you can count your chickens when you get laid," was the bolt of lightning he was waiting for to complete the song. :lol

Hate it Here was at least 15 years in the making. On that note, I wonder how many other incarnations of the band laid down tape trying it out?

I'll Fight

Probably nothing. They recorded over 30 songs for Being There; Old Maid, a Being There reject, was finally completed and released in 2003 on "You Can Never Go Fast Enough," a compilation for some odd thing. Jeff said at the January 2003 Vic shows that, "you can count your chickens when you get laid," was the bolt of lightning he was waiting for to complete the song. :lol

Hate it Here was at least 15 years in the making. On that note, I wonder how many other incarnations of the band laid down tape trying it out?

Impossible Germany was a Summerteeth outtake.

I'll Fight

ahhh yeah i like this song a lot

some of those songs i really wanted to get studio recordings of... i can't recall the names anymore and i'm at work so i can't look it up, but i was holding out they'd do a demo release like the yhf demos which contained absolute gold. they have to have quite a few built up from those sessions and any they wrote for this album but didn't use.