Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

If Bull Black Nova got me pregnant, I wouldn't even consider abortion.

That's WICKED funny considering I just offered you my next born...lolololololololololol

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, just finished the first listen. I really really like it. Beautiful production, awesome arrangements. Love what Nels brought to the table this time.. a lot less showy and more textural and interesting. Bull Black Nova is the obvious highlight, but I also really loved Sonny Feeling, Everlasting, Deeper Down, and One Wing. DEFINITELY going to need a good amount of listens to let it all sink in and have the subtleties sneak out at me.. can't say that was an issue with SBS which was a more immediate, but ultimately less rewarding record than Ghost or YHF. All good things, now let's just give it some time and let it breathe.

Jeff's vocals on Bull Black Nova sound so so weird (in a cool way).

did i read somewhere that a lot of what made the album version was basically a demo and built around that?

no i figured it was a joke (esp the ranking ;)), but wanted to nip it in the bud anyway :thumbup

yeah, I was kidding about it being original / groundbreaking, that was me attempting to be funny. :stunned

Because it's nice sometimes when a band recognizes you don't have to throw every idea onto a record just because you can. I think 45 minutes is the perfect length for an album.

Either a band can fill an album with good songs or not. The length has nothing to do with anything really.

Guest Hollinger.
Jeff's vocals on Bull Black Nova sound so so weird (in a cool way).

did i read somewhere that a lot of what made the album version was basically a demo and built around that?

I know there were at least a couple songs that were put together by Jeff/John/Glenn/Pat in New Zealand and then brought back for Nels/Mike to add their flourish to. I would bet on BBN being one of them.

Either a band can fill an album with good songs or not. The length has nothing to do with anything really.

I disagree, but that's ok. I like a shorter album, or if it has to be very long, a double album.

He's not saying it is good because it is 42 minutes. It's a nice, concise running time for an album he likes.

Would I take 75 minutes of good music over 42? Sure, but I think the quality of albums tends to dip when they got longer.

Very strong record. After the first listen, I've got really good vibes off almost every song, and some of them are already amazing and I want to see them live. You Never Know is definitely Harrisonesque, but man, Sonny Feeling is so fun. But so is Wilco the Song... And Bull Black Nova is A++. Also dig You and I and One Wing. I will have to listen to some of the slower tunes more, but Wilco is back!

Wilco is back? I wouldn't call it a come back... they've been here for years... maybe just not on record. I feel like live they have really let fly on all the back catalog and especially some of the SBS stuff has just gotten so good. Just listen to the versions from the Ashes DVD and its clear that Wilco is at the top of their game.

That being said I actually really like SBS but this record definitely hits you over the head more. Like love at first sight or listen. I was a little apprehensive with some of the live versions of these songs but they have totally been fleshed out. I can't stop listening. My fiance is going to laugh at me for staying up half the night listening to a record. But it's just that good.

There are Beach Boys-like harmonies on a crapload of tracks, too. This album has every great musical idea ever conceived in the history of rock music rolled up into a gooey ball of an album.

This album isn't very good. Whatever ear these guys had for good music got lost at some point after "Muzzle of Bees" and "Hummingbird".

This is the most surprising news I've heard since "The Wilco Album leaked before the official release date."

im sorry, but i'm too excited to read through all these 3 pages to see if im repeating anything. so i apologize if i am.

I am currently at Bull Black Nova.

And I am in love with this record already.

Did anyone else kinda expect this to be SBS II? Not that i don't like SBS... but i think its pretty much agreed to not be Wilco's finest effort. Early previews led me to assume in that direction, but I am so glad that everything I've read so far has pretty much been off-base.

Every move they've made so far on this record has been wonderful. I look forward to digesting is even more in weeks to come, and buying the vinyl when it comes out.

Happy listening!

There are Beach Boys-like harmonies on a crapload of tracks, too. This album has every great musical idea ever conceived in the history of rock music rolled up into a gooey ball of an album.

Yes. Loving those harmonies