Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

The fact that 'You're Really Gone' morphed into 'Hate it Here,' and 'Impossible Germany' was shelved til SBS makes me really interested in hearing the other recordings, but I have a feeling I'd be most satisfied with the final product (with the exception of a solo Jeff studio treatment of 'You're Really Gone,' a la 'Crack a Smile?'). In that case, I'd rather wait 10 years to hear 'final' versions of things that were shelved for this album (barring whatever awesome b-sides they unleash?!).

That being said, I'd lovelovelove for a boxed set of all this stuff to be released down the line.

That being said, I'd lovelovelove for a boxed set of all this stuff to be released down the line.

I second this. Maybe they can do this in like 2015 for the 20th anniversary of the band?

Anytime I hear the phrase I Will, I Will that is the song I think of.

i could actually hear the current Wilco lineup doing that song, and not thinking anything strange about it. It has got a killer middle 8, and the fact that between the two of them they are playing 5 keyboard/pianos - it's pretty crazy.

Guest Jules
Is anyone else hearing "On and On and On" in "I'll Fight"?

Yeah, but I don't like On and On and On, and I think I'll Fight might be my favorite track on the new record. So, go figure and such.

Is anyone else hearing "On and On and On" in "I'll Fight"?

No.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by how much I like this record based on a couple listens.

I have felt disappointed in Wilco's studio releases since the high water mark of YHF, but I really like most of these songs, and am looking forward to getting the disc and cranking it in my car. There are a couple of slightly weak parts, and JT hits a few clams on the vocals, but overall it's much more enjoyable than AGIB and much, much better than SBS, for my taste anyway.

I'm psyched about Wilco again for the first time in a good five years! :thumbup

Yeah, but I don't like On and On and On

Likewise, I don't like "On and On and On", but I think that may be currently influencing my lukewarm view of "I'll Fight". Glad to hear you're not experiencing the same hang-up.

Guest Jules
Am I the only only one that hears "werewolves of london" in "wilco the song"?

page 29...

Thumbs up overall based on a couple listens. But does anyone else keep expecting Wilco The Song to turn into Werewolves Of London by Warren Zevron? The chords are . . . similar!

OK, after listening to it for a couple hours on shuffle, the song I can't get enough of right now is One Wing. It's my new War on War -- I can see myself pogoing to the ending in a big way :)

Happy happy joy joy. Then again, what do you expect from a fangirl?

Also there was a NKOTB song where they all introduced themselves. I think it was a rap. On their first album. Not sure if they all sang.

Oh come on, B, don't pretend like you don't know every word of that song.

I know this was pages ago, but I'd like to supply the clip that goes along with the mention of a link between "I'll Fight" and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_GIOceRiAU

I swear it was the first thing I thought of when I heard the song.

I've listened to the stream a couple of times through now, and know myself well enough to reserve judgement until it settles a bit.

I didn't take to YHF at first, for reasons which i can still remember but they don't seem to bother me much any more (the nuances of Jeff's voice being lost in the niose and the mix and the recording tricks like double tracking). Once I got used to the things which initially disappointed about it I was able to start appreciating it on it's own terms (not Ctions sorry).

AGIB and SBS, conversely hit me positively at first and i couldn't take then out of the cd player for weeks. Maybe it was overkill, but the romance faded and now I'm of the opinion that neither can hold a candle to YHF.

And BT, well that was and still is an all time favorite right from the first time i heard the opening clanks and grunts of "misunderstood"

So i guess I'll post again on this thread in three months when it's irrelevant...

Geez, I'm rather late to the party. Page 38 already?

I've been a Neil Finn fan for many years, and this album seems highly Finn-fluenced. I can hear New Zealand in it, I swear.

God, I just love the ending of "Everlasting Everything." I wish there would be more moments like that on this record. Oh, and more "Bull Black Nova" moments, as well.

and I've listened to Wilco (the song) about a dozen times today and still not heard the Zevon thing. I must tell you I'm a bit oblivious to these things...so it must be awfully subtle.

Next you'll be saying that Kid Rock mashed up Werewolves and a Skynyrd song.

OK, after listening to it for a couple hours on shuffle, the song I can't get enough of right now is One Wing. It's my new War on War -- I can see myself pogoing to the ending in a big way :)

Happy happy joy joy. Then again, what do you expect from a fangirl?

This is the song that seems the most influenced by Neil Finn and Wilco's New Zealand trip. I'd be curious if that changed the arrangement much.

Bull Black Nova is right in there in this regard as well.