Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

My first way all the way through. These are the songs of a happy man and the performances of a happy band. I like it a lot. Funnily enough, I just got "All Things Must Pass" by George Harrison and I can see the sense of the comparison between the two another reviewer made. There are subtle, killer harmonies all over the album. Dare I say it but I think if such a thing still exists this album has a lot of what used to be called crossover appeal. "Wilco (The Song)", "You Never Know", "You and I", "Sonny Feeling" and "Everlasting Everything" would fit on the local (Seattle 103.7 The Mountain) AOR station that plays everything from classic rock through Tom Petty, U2, Michael Franti, Modest Mouse, The Postal Service and Coldplay. I think that a lot of people are going to be looking back in a few months and saying that this is definitely Wilco's most commercial release. Anyone else agree?

Some other quick thoughts. I love how Wilco have managed to release records that feel both very separate from previous but which feel very unified as a whole. Also, I am amazed, to some extent, at what the band has done with some of these songs. Musically these are some of the simplest songs they have recorded but there's still lots of interesting stuff going on sonically. Lastly, if you had told me that Nels Cline had only played on a couple of songs I'd definitely believe you. His stamp on these songs is very restrained. I found others' comments that this album doesn't feel that unified interesting. I'd beg to differ. As a whole there's a mellow good-time feel running through it and the songs hand together very well.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that a lot of people are going to be looking back in a few months and saying that this is definitely Wilco's most commercial release. Anyone else agree?

Unfortunately, yes. And I am already saying it...

I've listened to the album a good ten-fifteen times and I'm already skipping a few songs. Very pop-happy. :yucky

Perfect end of finals/start of summer album. Tweedy's voice is golden! Harmonies are soooo nice throughout. One Wing's beginning is surreal. I enjoy how the album begins and closes with affirmations of love. Exceptional album.

"pop" is not a bad word.

Ditto: "Pop" when done well is as good as it gets. It's just a shame for some people that Jeff couldn't stay perpetually miserable and give us a whole shit-load more of angst-ridden non pop songs. Not.

this is pop music? whodathunk?

I don't think the band's capable of being "in the groove" of current popular standards. They'll sell a good chunk of records and probably make the top 5 on Billboard, but in this day and age almost anyone can do that. Nothing against Wilco on that last one, just the sorry state of affairs that selling 64,000 copies of an album gets you these days.

Uh, but...regardless, there does not seem to be some sort of conscious desire to "sell out" here or anything. I don't think a band led by a 41 year old father of 2 is in any danger of becoming a teen sensation or something.

You won't see "Jeff Tweedy Folders" in Wal-Mart is what I mean.

Or something like that.

I don't know. Ask someone else already.

Yeah, but I don't like On and On and On, and I think I'll Fight might be my favorite track on the new record.

I'm also a fan of I'll Fight and not a fan of On and On and On. I don't hear it.

this is pop music? whodathunk?

I don't think the band's capable of being "in the groove" of current popular standards. They'll sell a good chunk of records and probably make the top 5 on Billboard, but in this day and age almost anyone can do that. Nothing against Wilco on that last one, just the sorry state of affairs that selling 64,000 copies of an album gets you these days.

Uh, but...regardless, there does not seem to be some sort of conscious desire to "sell out" here or anything. I don't think a band led by a 41 year old father of 2 is in any danger of becoming a teen sensation or something.

You won't see "Jeff Tweedy Folders" in Wal-Mart is what I mean.

Or something like that.

I don't know. Ask someone else already.

I think there are different versions of the word "pop" being used here.

So it's pop as the negative descriptor this time eh? Last go 'round it was smooth jazz. Some people are never happy. Wilco could make an album more abrasive than Metal Machine Music with Jeff screeching Yoko Onoisms over it and the Glenn Branca-ites would complain.

This stuff happens with each new Wilco release since YHF and the YHF desciples are more predictable than ever this time. Pretty soon someone is going to claim this really isn't the new album we're hearing but the demos.

how was the last album smooth jazz? it was a folk-rock album

It wasn't but that was the claim from some seconds after hearing Nel's solo on Either Way. Each post YHF album has suffered a fair share of inaccurate criticism from the armchair critic crowd. I think the album that took the worst beating was AGIB.

Pretty soon someone is going to claim this really isn't the new album we're hearing but the demos.

It's not actually. The cover was a decoy, and these downloads are actually filling your computer with viruses that will play Barry Manilow endlessly starting on June 30th. The real album is being kept under armed guard up in Spitzbergen. That's what Side with the Seeds was about. And the Camel.