Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jules
I'll remember that the next time I'm in a department store and You and I spools up! :lol

Did it bother you when Impossible Germany was played in stores all the time?

are people having a problem with how clean it sounds? it's a damn wrinkle free sounding album, that's for sure. very well mixed and mastered. It's so weird because it sounds exactly like the album I was expecting them to make and unlike everything they've done before.

can someone please pm me a link to a site where i can download the album in mp3 files. i've been looking for it all day, and the only files i could get wouldn't play on my computer. i've already pre-ordered it, so no need to feel guilty, but listening to a stream over the internet is just a very enjoyable tease. now that i've heard it, it's gonna kill me not having it on a disc. no need to jump on my case for making such an outrageous request either, it is very clear that most of you already have this downloaded. thanks in advance........

while we're on the subject, i'll throw in my two cents.....the new tunes are great. 'i'll fight' was the standout for me after the first go-round, but i enjoyed the whole thing for the most part. that's all i got for now.

someone mentioned it's got a neil finn sound. i concur.

Craig Finn is a better lyricist than Jeff Tweedy. There, I said it.

It's actually not even close for me.

Craig Finn is certainly wonderful as a lyricist. But he needs to learn the same lesson that Bruce Springsteen learned: sometimes you paint a better lyrical picture is you leave some spaces. In other words...he needs to be a bit less wordy.

And I love his songs.

can someone please pm me a link to a site where i can download the album in mp3 files. i've been looking for it all day, and the only files i could get wouldn't play on my computer. i've already pre-ordered it, so no need to feel guilty, but listening to a stream over the internet is just a very enjoyable tease. now that i've heard it, it's gonna kill me not having it on a disc. no need to jump on my case for making such an outrageous request either, it is very clear that most of you already have this downloaded. thanks in advance........

while we're on the subject, i'll throw in my two cents.....the new tunes are great. 'i'll fight' was the standout for me after the first go-round, but i enjoyed the whole thing for the most part. that's all i got for now.

someone mentioned it's got a neil finn sound. i concur.

The PM system is down.

Look in this thread - and you will find it.

Ditto: "Pop" when done well is as good as it gets. It's just a shame for some people that Jeff couldn't stay perpetually miserable and give us a whole shit-load more of angst-ridden non pop songs. Not.

:thumbup

Can someone download the album, burn it on a CD and send it to me along with a T-shirt and a Tote bag?

The Spitzbergen Side With the Seeds tote bag and T-shirt is in the works....

I really like "you and I". However it wouldn't be out of place on Eric Clapton's Slowhand, say for instance the B side to Lay down Sally.

Is this a bad thing? Personally I dig Slowhand and EC is far and away my fave artist ever.

I think I am going to have to take a hiatus from here.

I cannot believe the negartive responses to this wonderful disc.

Some of you seem to take delight in trying to one up each other is some really silly critiques.

This place is getting like the Springsteen usenet groups where there are posters who post negative comments for the sake of assholery.

And don't worry...I won't be reading the "Well, just go comments", so save your finger movements.

Like I said, I like the tune. However, Slowhand era EC bores me to tears. Eric was never known for his "Songwriting" talents, albeit, not a bad one, his guitar playing will always be his claim to fame. Jeff Tweedy has delivered in spades in this album as far is his songwriting is concerned. Aside from BBN, the lyrics are quite linear, which isn't a bad thing. Back to EC, The song "Promises" is probably a better parallel to draw from as far as a duet. Now I can throw up.

Wow, it's been very interesting and enlightening to read all these comments about the new release. Via Chicago is new to me, but Wilco has been with me from the start. I can't add anything earth shattering after listening to the stream. It's going to take some time to get familiar with the new material. "Wilco the Song" has been something I've been looking forward to since the Colbert unveiling. Cheesy? I can see that point of view. Fun and playful? Again, that is a viewpoint that is understandable. At the risk of being the fanboy, I really take it in the literal sense. Wilco's music has always had a place in my life in good and bad times. I've used music at times to help with the bad times in life and it's nice to hear a song that sends the message that "The Song" does. To me it's a reflection of the past and a promise for tomorrow. Good stuff, I like it. Thanks to the band.

Listened to it a couple of more times on my ipod on my flight home today, and I also tossed Bull Black Nova on a mix with some Eno era Bowie and Talking Heads and it fit alongside those tracks. Today One Wing is my favorite song on the record, yesterday it was Solitare, two nights ago it was Bull Black Nova or You Never Know, I think it's a good thing that I can't decide.

With that said, I am not particularly bothered by criticisms others are having it. As hard as this is sometimes, accepting not everyone is going to feel the same way as you do about something is a pretty good way to not get to upset by the internet. There's stuff a lot more important than what mpolak21 thinks about the influence of Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever on some of the tracks on WTA in this world, and quite honestly if I had any idea what I was talking about when it came to music I'd be making my own records and have my own message board where fans would be arguing that the new one isn't quite as good as the one I made five years ago with Jim O'Rourke producing.

Still if you do care even the slightest bit about what I think do me a favor, you can complain about the art itself as much as you want, but dismissing someone's taste because they don't agree with you is a little unnecessary. There is not a right or wrong way to feel about this record, it is whatever you make of it.

--Mike

I really do enjoy this album after a few continuos listens. It does appear that is it wilco's most accessible effort, which means 2/3rds of the album will be featured an WXRT with likely spots sappy prime time melodramas. The feel I get is a "classic rock" oriented album, with minor experimental flourishes. One thing I really appreciated about wilco was that they weren't always accessible to mass rock listeners. Being accessible to the masses isn't a bad thing. The reason I love RNR is because of the great accessible music, i.e. the beatles, stones, Who etc etc. From then that music turned me on to punk and 80/90's indie til what I consider quality today. I guess I never expected wilco to be within reach of this certain level of popularity. It is great, because this great band deserves to be heard. Being heard doesn't necessarily mean that they are truly understood and appreciated. I guess that the with larger audiences come more repellant fans. Simply, thats my worry as an early fan from the uncle tupelo days/wilco/jt shows at Lounge Ax. I have a friend who adores springsteen, loves the early stuff especially. I went to a show with him recently and the group concert goers next to us were shouting "glory days" and "dancing in the dark" and that was just a drag. I would hate to see wilco crowds take a similar path.

Until then done rambling and loving this new music by Wilco.

It's also interesting that none of us has paid one frickin cent for this album, and yet we (as in the collective thread sense of 'we') bitch. Amazing....

out to the woodshed for a whipping, all of you ungrateful sods....

I feel like the fact it's called Wilco (The Album) is pretty adequate. If I had to describe this to anyone I'd say it's Wilco's entire career packed into one album. There's some of the sonic weirdness, some of the structural weirdness, some of the lyrical genius, some of the fun, some of the pop, some of the country-ish tendencies.

I agree completely. I'm listening to it for the fifth or sixth time today and I was just thinking that this album is like all the best parts of every other Wilco record, all packed into one awesome disc.

This record is sweet.

Bull Black Nova = Awesomeness

Solitaire... what can I say?

Wilco (The Song) = warm feelings of Wilco comfort

One Wing = Rockin' Fleetwood Mac Awesomeness (though I agree with the comment about missing the guitar solos at the end from the live versions)

Everlasting love is all we have... what more can you really say?

I really do enjoy this album after a few continuos listens. It does appear that is it wilco's most accessible effort, which means 2/3rds of the album will be featured an WXRT with likely spots sappy prime time melodramas. The feel I get is a "classic rock" oriented album, with minor experimental flourishes. One thing I really appreciated about wilco was that they weren't always accessible to mass rock listeners. Being accessible to the masses isn't a bad thing. The reason I love RNR is because of the great accessible music, i.e. the beatles, stones, Who etc etc. From then that music turned me on to punk and 80/90's indie til what I consider quality today. I guess I never expected wilco to be within reach of this certain level of popularity. It is great, because this great band deserves to be heard. Being heard doesn't necessarily mean that they are truly understood and appreciated. I guess that the with larger audiences come more repellant fans. Simply, thats my worry as an early fan from the uncle tupelo days/wilco/jt shows at Lounge Ax. I have a friend who adores springsteen, loves the early stuff especially. I went to a show with him recently and the group concert goers next to us were shouting "glory days" and "dancing in the dark" and that was just a drag. I would hate to see wilco crowds take a similar path.

Until then done rambling and loving this new music by Wilco.

Well put. Look, if we want to broaden this, the 'rock' records that get remembered are the groundbreaking ones. The ones that critics salivate over are the ones that try something different. You can write/record all the lovely songs that you want but they won't be noticed in the same way, especially on boards like this where every last note is dissected. The YHF lovers will not love this (very fine) record as much for that very reason. This record will, I suspect, draw in a broader audience, and with that the YHF lovers will run for the hills. Sad, but true. We all defend our favourite bands, but come on, who hasn't felt that feeling of 'betrayal' when your best friend's aunt says they like the new Wilco record. Kind of cheapens it doesn't it and makes you want to like it less, to move on to something more challenging. You can't have it both ways. Radiohead remain at the top of their game because they'll never risk stepping out into the mainstream, compromising what they/their fans wanr them to be. For Tweedy, family man, demons behind him, it's a career now and some old fans will be shed along the way. Mixed opnion therefore is inevitable/unavoidable.