Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiohead remain at the top of their game because they'll never risk stepping out into the mainstream, compromising what they/their fans wanr them to be. For Tweedy, family man, demons behind him, it's a career now and some old fans will be shed along the way. Mixed opnion therefore is inevitable/unavoidable.

I don't get why Jeff Tweedy needs to be messed up in the head to record music that is experimental. It seemed to be the stock answer when Sky Blue Sky came out and people said it wasn't very adventurous that, "it's nice to see that Jeff is happy now," like only sad artists write music as accomplished as Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Or that by saying you wished it was more adventurous, that you're wishing Jeff still had his problems, cos that's the only way he'd make music of the standard he made in the past. I want Jeff Tweedy to be happy and make happy music which pushes the band as much as Yankee Hotel Foxtrot did. Whether he's happy or sad I don't see why that means he can't be experimental either way. He can also make pop music that is experimental too - lots of people have in the past, it's not like you have to be outside the mainstream to do anything a bit different.

The decline of civility corresponds with the rise of chat boards, to a certain extent.

This is a fantastic album, but then, other than AM, which I certainly don't hate, I've loved every other album that Wilco has done. Easy to please is actually something the world could use more of, if it's quality (not BigMacs, etc.). This is quality.

If you've loved every other album that Wilco has done other than AM, does that mean you loved BT, YHF and SBS, but not ST, AGIB and W(TA)?

:shifty

Like Wilco albums, sometimes the original is better :P

... the influence of Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever on some of the tracks on WTA ...

--Mike

Mike - you've mentioned this a few times. I certainly hear what you are talking about (I think), but "influenced"? Seems to me that there are some similarities in guitar tones, but not really much else. And those similarities feel more like coincidence than anything(or just different musicians independently thinking a certain sound/tone/pedal is cool). Maybe I am splitting hairs, but being influenced by something makes me picture the guys listening to Full Moon Fever in the loft and saying "yeah this is great, let's do this on our next album." And I just can't imagine that happened.

Also, as an aside, and not directed at Mike, but I think it's interesting how everyone is coming on here to post thoughts on how this song sounds like another song (or this riff, or this chord progression, or this piano). I am as guilty as anyone -- one of my first posts about the album was "Everyday People + George + Wilco = You Never Know." I guess where I am going with all this is that it's music. Certain guitar riffs are going to sound like other songs. Same with chord progressions. Of course it's going to sound like other stuff. Doesn't mean it was ripped off. Or a tribute. It's also not a particularly enlightening comment or observation. Like I said, I am as guilty as anyone of this.

Also, this isn't a pop album.

ETA: Also, I think Country Disappeared is fantastic. I can't believe that some people think it's the weak song on the album. Man oh man.

Mike - you've mentioned this a few times. I certainly hear what you are talking about (I think), but "influenced"? Seems to me that there are some similarities in guitar tones, but not really much else. And those similarities feel more like coincidence than anything(or just different musicians independently thinking a certain sound/tone/pedal is cool). Maybe I am splitting hairs, but being influenced by something makes me picture the guys listening to Full Moon Fever in the loft and saying "yeah this is great, let's do this on our next album." And I just can't imagine that happened.

Also, as an aside, and not directed at Mike, but I think it's interesting how everyone is coming on here to post thoughts on how this song sounds like another song (or this riff, or this chord progression, or this piano). I am as guilty as anyone -- one of my first posts about the album was "Everyday People + George + Wilco = You Never Know." I guess where I am going with all this is that it's music. Certain guitar riffs are going to sound like other songs. Same with chord progressions. Of course it's going to sound like other stuff. Doesn't mean it was ripped off. Or a tribute. It's also not a particularly enlightening comment or observation. Like I said, I am as guilty as anyone of this.

Also, this isn't a pop album.

I think Wilco has their own sound, like R.E.M. and Pearl Jam each have their own sound. It has changed over the years, but they do have their own sound. I don't get the Pop deal either. I guess that is because when I think of that label, I think of several things. One of which is mass popularity. Of course, more people know who Wilco are these days, but still, Wilco T-Shirts are not being sold at Walmart or something along those lines.

I think Wilco has their own sound, like R.E.M. and Pearl Jam each have their own sound. It has changed over the years, but they do have their own sound. I don't get the Pop deal either. I guess that is because when I think of that label, I think of several things. One of which is mass popularity. Of course, more people know who Wilco are these days, but still, Wilco T-Shirts are not being sold at Walmart or something along those lines.

I love pop music. And there are certainly poppy moments on here. But this is not a pop album. This is a Wilco album. There ain't no other box for it.

It has changed over the years, but they do have their own sound.

I think "Bull Black Nova" is the best example of Wilco (The Sound) on this one, which is probably why it's the early favorite. It occurs to me that they're having another go at what they were trying to get at in "Spiders (Kidsmoke)," when Jeff was too messed up to accomplish it.

Well put. Look, if we want to broaden this, the 'rock' records that get remembered are the groundbreaking ones. The ones that critics salivate over are the ones that try something different. You can write/record all the lovely songs that you want but they won't be noticed in the same way, especially on boards like this where every last note is dissected. The YHF lovers will not love this (very fine) record as much for that very reason. This record will, I suspect, draw in a broader audience, and with that the YHF lovers will run for the hills. Sad, but true. We all defend our favourite bands, but come on, who hasn't felt that feeling of 'betrayal' when your best friend's aunt says they like the new Wilco record. Kind of cheapens it doesn't it and makes you want to like it less, to move on to something more challenging. You can't have it both ways. Radiohead remain at the top of their game because they'll never risk stepping out into the mainstream, compromising what they/their fans wanr them to be. For Tweedy, family man, demons behind him, it's a career now and some old fans will be shed along the way. Mixed opnion therefore is inevitable/unavoidable.

I disagree totally about Radiohead, and I know I'm not alone here. Not everyone thinks they make great music. In my opinion they sacrificed songwriting and good tunes for the sake of being "experimental" or "weird." And thats a shame. They used to be a great band.

I guess that the with larger audiences come more repellant fans. Simply, thats my worry as an early fan from the uncle tupelo days/wilco/jt shows at Lounge Ax. I have a friend who adores springsteen, loves the early stuff especially. I went to a show with him recently and the group concert goers next to us were shouting "glory days" and "dancing in the dark" and that was just a drag. I would hate to see wilco crowds take a similar path

Your concern is about 7-8 yrs too late.

I love pop music. And there are certainly poppy moments on here. But this is not a pop album. This is a Wilco album. There ain't no other box for it.

That's interesting. I think I see them being called an alt-rock band these days in the press. I have also seen the label "former alt-country band" used in articles about the band.

I guess I just have negative connotations associated with the word Pop music. At least with regards to what I think it means these days. A lot of people talk about pop musik.

To my ears, quite the opposite is true

I think "Bull Black Nova" is the best example of Wilco (The Sound) on this one, which is probably why it's the early favorite. It occurs to me that they're having another go at what they were trying to get at in "Spiders (Kidsmoke)," when Jeff was too messed up to accomplish it.

I don't think there's a best example on here. I think what's great about the album is that each song, on its own, can be held up as an example of Wilco (The Sound).

Also, I see lots of people connecting BBN to Spiders. I see it, but BBN hits me the way At Least That's What You Said hits me (the freak out part). Not Spiders. There's no logic to it. This is just my gut talking.

i have to say i love it. i have been listening to the wilco live album preview for days now and so i was familiar with most of the songs. some of these songs are gonna be killer live. my favorites are wilco (the song) loved it since colbert. the lyrics make me happy, i truly believe wilco does love their fans.

'ONE WING' awesomness!,...LOVE 'YOU NEVER KNOW' is gonna be great live, i can hear the audience now its gonna be a great sing-a-long,..."I DON'T CAAAAARE ANYMORE,...YOU NEVER KNOW'. 'BULL BLACK NOVA' is growing on me, i love love 'COUNTRY DISAPPEARED' one of my favorites.

I'm not crazy about hearing feist sing with jeff, i think i would like it better with only jeff and sung a little slower like on the live version from the wilco live preview, i LOVE that version.

'EVERLASTING EVERYTHING'..beautiful.

'SOLITARE'...love the double voice thing, it reminds me of GOOD CHINESE APPLE.

'I'LL FIGHT',...really like it.

OVERALL LOVE IT

I don't think there's a best example on here. I think what's great about the album is that each song, on its own, can be held up as an example of Wilco (The Sound).

Also, I see lots of people connecting BBN to Spiders. I see it, but BBN hits me the way At Least That's What You Said hits me (the freak out part). Not Spiders. There's no logic to it. This is just my gut talking.

I agree - BBN makes me feel like I'm having a panic attack. My heart rate goes up and I start getting really anxious. That's what music should do - I love it.

That's interesting. I think I see them being called an alt-rock band these days in the press. I have also seen the label "former alt-country band" used in articles about the band.

I guess I just have negative connotations associated with the word Pop music. At least with regards to what I think it means these days. A lot of people talk about pop musik.

I agree with the connotations. But this album -- while not pop -- certainly has the ingredients to be a crossover into mainstream "popular" attention. Reprise final has the singles they tried to eke out from Summerteeth. BBN will keep some people at a distance, but I can see their rep getting them into what arguably is the pop realm.

I disagree totally about Radiohead, and I know I'm not alone here. Not everyone thinks they make great music. In my opinion they sacrificed songwriting and good tunes for the sake of being "experimental" or "weird." And thats a shame. They used to be a great band.

100% agreement here.

They have their own sound but that sound is a result of influence and frame of reference. Two people can have the exact same musical influence, but they each hear something different within it. Everyone learns music by emulating ("Teach me 'Stairway to Heaven' "). From their you take your technique and tricks and you apply your own spin in the blender. One man's "chop" is another man's "puree."