Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

Well put. Look, if we want to broaden this, the 'rock' records that get remembered are the groundbreaking ones. The ones that critics salivate over are the ones that try something different. You can write/record all the lovely songs that you want but they won't be noticed in the same way, especially on boards like this where every last note is dissected. The YHF lovers will not love this (very fine) record as much for that very reason. This record will, I suspect, draw in a broader audience, and with that the YHF lovers will run for the hills. Sad, but true. We all defend our favourite bands, but come on, who hasn't felt that feeling of 'betrayal' when your best friend's aunt says they like the new Wilco record. Kind of cheapens it doesn't it and makes you want to like it less, to move on to something more challenging. You can't have it both ways. Radiohead remain at the top of their game because they'll never risk stepping out into the mainstream, compromising what they/their fans wanr them to be. For Tweedy, family man, demons behind him, it's a career now and some old fans will be shed along the way. Mixed opnion therefore is inevitable/unavoidable.

Radiohead isn't mainstream?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...I overreacted. I can't quit this place.

It's like a case of herpes...it's a gift that gives forever.

Guest Speed Racer
Radiohead isn't mainstream?

THANK YOU! When you're in the Washington Post because you blew off Miley Cyrus at the Grammys, you're mainstream. Big time.

We
Mike - you've mentioned this a few times. I certainly hear what you are talking about (I think), but "influenced"? Seems to me that there are some similarities in guitar tones, but not really much else. And those similarities feel more like coincidence than anything(or just different musicians independently thinking a certain sound/tone/pedal is cool). Maybe I am splitting hairs, but being influenced by something makes me picture the guys listening to Full Moon Fever in the loft and saying "yeah this is great, let's do this on our next album." And I just can't imagine that happened.

Influence was probably the wrong word, I doubt the band was going for a Petty sound at all, and in fact if that comparsion gets picked up by a bunch of reviewers I could see Tweedy's reaction to it being similar to his reaction over SBS being called "the best album the Eagles ever made." I think the record just feels like Full Moon Fever to me, because it's a fun record I can put on whenever I am driving around.

Like Full Moon Fever was for Petty, WTA is not Wilco's best album, but I personally feel it's one of their most accessible. I could see people who didn't necessarily like their records before for whatever reason getting into this one and subsequently I can also understand why long term fans might be a little put off by it in places.

--Mike

If you've loved every other album that Wilco has done other than AM, does that mean you loved BT, YHF and SBS, but not ST, AGIB and W(TA)?

:shifty

I'm so confused now. Maybe another cup of coffee would help. Or maybe I should go back to the rank the albums in the order they were released thread.

I'm about seven spins in and I am declaring some 'grower' power on this record. My instant faves (One Wing, BBN, I'll Fight) sound even better and the ones that seemed a bit more mediocre (You Never Know, Country Disappeared) are finding a little spot in my heart.

I'm about seven spins in and I am declaring some 'grower' power on this record. My instant faves (One Wing, BBN, I'll Fight) sound even better and the ones that seemed a bit more (You Never Know, ) are finding a little spot in my heart.

Really, you find "Country Disappeared" mediocre?

Wilco (the Album) will go down as the record that Jeff Tweedy wanted to be 'all things to all people' which rarely works.

Just too eclectic in other words, falls between too many stools. That's all there is to it.

BBN and YAI might be thematically cleverly contrasting bedfellows - murder, then love - but musically, one, then the other, they cannot be reconciled.