Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

BBN and YAI might be thematically cleverly contrasting bedfellows - murder, then love - but musically, one, then the other, they cannot be reconciled.

That's funny I could swear I really really enjoy the contrast of these two songs bumped up against each other. I'd better go listen again to set myself straight.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilco (the Album) will go down as the record that Jeff Tweedy wanted to be 'all things to all people' which rarely works.

Just too eclectic in other words, falls between too many stools. That's all there is to it.

BBN and YAI might be thematically cleverly contrasting bedfellows - murder, then love - but musically, one, then the other, they cannot be reconciled.

This post makes NO sense to me.

"Too eclectic."

Bull Black Nova and You and I "cannot be reconciled" musically?

WTF!

Do you write for Pitchfork?

This record will go down as the most overanalyzed thing ever.

It's a collection of songs Jeff deemed worthy of release at this point in time. Take it for what it is.

why do new threads keep popping up that could all easily fit under the 1 album spoilers thread?

Yeah, this was the album that brought out the worst in all of us. :D

Uh . . . I like most of the songs on this album, "Country Disappeared" being the only one that I recall getting on my nerves. It may be no masterpiece, but I can see myself listening to this fairly often.

I'm reminded of AM in that I can seeing myself throwing Wilco (The Album) on when I want to have fun listening to some tunes, whereas I mostly play Yankee Hotel Foxtrot when I'm in the mood to concentrate and appreciate a work of art (there are, of course, exceptions). Both types of albums have a place in my collection.

This one says "too eclectic" and the last one says "lost the edge."

:lol

Er, same thing doncha think....? BBN is fantastic - some of the dadrock stuff is not. BBN,YAI and SF all on the same record just swings too wildly from one extreme to the other for my liking. Look, I also really like OW and CD and DD. Everlasting is just cheesy save for the lovely outro. It doesn't feel cohesive to me - hence ' too eclectic'.

That's an odd comment, CD is actually the most 'Dad Rock' song on the album.

I wonder how much Pitchfork will rate this, 3.2 or something? I mean, even on their fan board this album gets panned. :ohwell

Uh . . . I like most of the songs on this album, "Country Disappeared" being the only one that I recall getting on my nerves. It may be no masterpiece, but I can see myself listening to this fairly often.

I'm reminded of AM in that I can seeing myself throwing Wilco (The Album) on when I want to have fun listening to some tunes, whereas I mostly play Yankee Hotel Foxtrot when I'm in the mood to concentrate and appreciate a work of art (there are, of course, exceptions). Both types of albums have a place in my collection.

hmmm...And that's one of my favorites, so far. I

This post makes NO sense to me.

"Too eclectic."

Bull Black Nova and You and I "cannot be reconciled" musically?

WTF!

Do you write for Pitchfork?

Yeah...this is a band that's been putting noisey break down songs next to sweet ballads for 10 years now. It's a little silly for it to suddenly bother you.

I guess the criticism of W(TA) comes with the territory. I remember hearing YHF called "more of Jeff Tweedy's noise shit" and ST called "The most depressing album the Beach Boys never released".

Man, visiting this place is really getting discouraging. If you love the new album, cool. Listen to it. If you don't like it, cool. Don't listen to it. But honestly, bitching about the new album is not going to change it. It is what it is. Many people seem to believe they have a better idea of what Wilco is supposed to sound like than Tweedy. Fine, go form your own band and make the great lost Wilco album that is in you and has eluded Jeff Tweedy. It's his band and he can make whatever album he wants to make. And in conclusion, there's this band you may have heard of, The Beatles. You would be hard pressed to pick 2 of their albums which sound alike. That's not a bad thing. Same for Wilco.

You & I is just gorgeous.

Dude...Van Hagar avatar...really?

Guest Speed Racer
But honestly, bitching about the new album is not going to change it. It is what it is.

It makes the work day pass faster, though, and NOTHING is going to change that fact.

It makes the work day pass faster, though, and NOTHING is going to change that fact.

True. I'll bet VC'ers work production is down 15-20% this week.