Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed this quite a bit on first listen. I wasn't sure what to expect, and this is a pleasant surprise. I'm constantly amazed how completely different each album sounds.

I'm not going to make any bold claims about "best album eva" after one listen, but it's new Wilco, and it's making me happy. Deeper Down is my first-impression favorite.

Thanks again to Mike for sending it my way.

Kyle do remember that crazy day when AGIB leaked, and we were all scrambling to get each track by track???!!! It was mid-morning and none of us got anything done that day. I didnt even got to work til the afternoon!

Am I the only one that finds BBN more interesting than a really great song? I'm not sure I hear a lot of melodies. Maybe it'll grow on me.

not just you...

musically it's a workout and super fun, can't wait to hear it live... but there isn't a lot of memorable in the way of vocal melody for me.

i can see how lots of folks will call it a highlight, but is it one of the best songs on the album? after 3 straight listens i def wouldn't put it in my top 3

I think I may be the only one to not be so very impressed at first listen.

nope, you're not alone.

the first 4 tracks blew me away and I love them. and then they sorta fall back to the soft rock format (complete with cheesy electric piano flourishes throughout). You and I will probably end up on Grey's Anatomy (I will put money on that), but I think that song really falls flat. The album never really picks back up for me until Sunny Feeling- fun song. Country Disappeared was a tough listen for me- I think its a really boring song, especially with Glenn's 1-2-3 drumming that a 3 year old could play.

Maybe it'll grow on me and I'll definitely be listening to this all week long, but man.... for as excited as I was, I'm pretty let down with the middle chunk of the album (tracks 5-9).

Glad the rest of ya'll are enjoying it so much. I was really diggin' it for the first four tracks and then it just totally dropped off for me.

this will def get better reviews than the last 2 did by far... i'd say that the finicky Pitchfork will give it a 7.4

I'll go high-end: 8.2

Kyle do remember that crazy day when AGIB leaked, and we were all scrambling to get each track by track???!!! It was mid-morning and none of us got anything done that day. I didnt even got to work til the afternoon!

I remember walking up to your house or driving up there and scoring a burnt copy from you. Pirate! I went back to 1118 and listened until the wee hours.

not just you...

musically it's a workout and super fun, can't wait to hear it live... but there isn't a lot of memorable in the way of vocal melody for me.

i can see how lots of folks will call it a highlight, but is it one of the best songs on the album? after 3 straight listens i def wouldn't put it in my top 3

yeah on an album with so many great loose melodies, I can't call that the highlight.

I'll go high-end: 8.2

I remember walking up to your house or driving up there and scoring a burnt copy from you. Pirate! I went back to 1118 and listened until the wee hours.

i don't see them going above 8, but who knows with them i guess. i think the review will be positive but the score is always a group decision, which will probably lower it a decent amount.

yeah on an album with so many great loose melodies, I can't call that the highlight.

although like we said on IM, unlike Spiders which felt like a cut & paste krautrock hybrid, this song actually feels pretty naturally weird (if that makes sense), and not forced.

I stopped everything I was doing when the intro to I'll Fight came on...and then I started dancing my ass off.

As excited as I was to hear a full band version of Solitaire, I think it's going to remain a JT solo favorite..but that is not a bad thing. At all.

Feist + Jeff on You and I makes my ears really happy

Sunny Feeling just got me moving again. can't wait to dance to this one live! :dancing

although like we said on IM, unlike Spiders which felt like a cut & paste krautrock hybrid, this song actually feels pretty naturally weird (if that makes sense), and not forced.

Definitely. It's interesting, for sure.