Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the end of everlasting, which is also the end of the album is brilliant. love it. sounds like everything is unraveling and fading away.

I agree, though like I said before, I wish the ending would've gone on just a bit longer. I don't know why, I just think it's beautiful sounding and wish it wasn't over when it was. I do think it's the perfect ending to the album!

Guest Alan

I'm quite disappointed with this album. Nothing is grabbing me here the way YAMF or Impossible Germany did. I don't want to be harsh, but it feels....lazy. I'm sure these songs will all be better live but this album isn't doing it for me at all. What a giant bummer.

I'm quite disappointed with this album. Nothing is grabbing me here the way YAMF or Impossible Germany did. I don't want to be harsh, but it feels....lazy. I'm sure these songs will all be better live but this album isn't doing it for me at all. What a giant bummer.

I feel sorry for you.

Wow, and that is the exact same way I felt about SBS, at first. This album however is the same feeling I got when I first listened to YHF and AGIB! :yes

Guest Alan

There's nothing edgy, nothing gritty here. BBN is close but comes a bit short of delivering. Listening to that just made me want to put on Spiders and turn my stereo to 11.

This album however is the same feeling I got when I first listened to YHF and AGIB! :yes

Wow, well you like what you like. I can't imagine.

i don't think i'd go as far to call it "lazy" (thats pretty extreme), but I just wish they'd inject a little more intensity into their music. its just not there at all. but i am enjoying the textures and details that SBS really really lacked.

I just keep going back to the rolling stone headline of "Wilco gets experimental on new album" -- this really isn't experimental at all, save for BBN

There's nothing edgy, nothing gritty here. BBN is close but comes a bit short of delivering. Listening to that just made me want to put on Spiders and turn my stereo to 11.

Wow, well you like what you like. I can't imagine.

Well, I'm not saying they sound the same. I'm just saying I get that same excited feeling that I didn't get with SBS.

Some people just won't get this album. That makes a lot of sense to me. It's a pretty dense / complex record and not everyone will pick up on that.

i don't think i'd go as far to call it "lazy" (thats pretty extreme), but I just wish they'd inject a little more intensity into their music. its just not there at all. but i am enjoying the textures and details that SBS really really lacked.

I just keep going back to the rolling stone headline of "Wilco gets experimental on new album" -- this really isn't experimental at all, save for BBN

it's Rolling Stone... do you honestly think they know shit about shit?

Guest Alan

The lazy comment was probably mostly directed at You Never Know. It sounds like a blatant George Harrison ripoff. I'm still not sure i've heard Glenn and Nels be used to their fullest extent.

Guest Hollinger.

So a description that Rolling Stone used about the album is keeping you from fully enjoying the music? I don't think the band can be blamed for RS calling it experimental.

yeah i guess you're right about Rolling Stone, but geez, there is nothing really experimental AT ALL on most of these tracks. i mean, i know they aren't they aren't the beacon of musical criticism and such, but man..... they were way off.

Guest Alan
Some people just won't get this album. That makes a lot of sense to me. It's a pretty dense / complex record and not everyone will pick up on that.

I really don't think that's the case. You are calling this musically dense and complex? really?

No, the RS description isn't keeping me from enjoying it. I just wish it was more experimental, edgier, adventurous. The first 4 tracks are fantastic, then it just sorta trails off for me ( so far)

Well, I'm not saying they sound the same. I'm just saying I get that same excited feeling that I didn't get with SBS.

SBS is the really crappy hiccup between two masterpieces for me. Impossible Germany was a great song, but the rest was really meh.

W(TA) is freaking genius.

I feel like the fact it's called Wilco (The Album) is pretty adequate. If I had to describe this to anyone I'd say it's Wilco's entire career packed into one album. There's some of the sonic weirdness, some of the structural weirdness, some of the lyrical genius, some of the fun, some of the pop, some of the country-ish tendencies.

I feel like the fact it's called Wilco (The Album) is pretty adequate. If I had to describe this to anyone I'd say it's Wilco's entire career packed into one album. There's some of the sonic weirdness, some of the structural weirdness, some of the lyrical genius, some of the fun, some of the pop, some of the country-ish tendencies.

yup