Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

It's a really pleasant album. Not exactly as moving or as challenging as their earlier works, but I don't really need them to make Foxtrot again, I have that record, it's fucking wonderful.

I think there's something here for everyone the Tupelo fans will dig on I'll Fight, the Summer Teeth fans have Sonny Feeling and You Never Know, and while nothing on here really sounds like Foxtrot Bull Black Nova will appease a lot of the fans of the more experimental side. For a lot of us at this stage the Wilcos have already made their perfect record for our tastes whether it's YHF or Ghost, Summerteeth or Being There or Sky Blue Sky or AM, this time out we get a little bit of everything, and they never push too far in one direction which was perhaps the Achilles heel of even some of their great records. It sort of reminds me of Radiohead's In Rainbows (an album which I love more than most), not that it sounds anything like it, but front-to-back you put it on and it's going to be 40+ minutes of enjoyable music if you dig their sound. And if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Hank Kingsley (yes he has a Jeffrey Tambor avatar) posted this on atease, sums up everything I want to say about the record on night one.

Mike, I agree with your assessment of it being their In Rainbows. Both bands on their 7th albums realized that they didn't have to be self-conciously innovative. Both are each bands most comfortable sounding album imo.

W(TA) probably won't ever replace Summerteeth and YHF for me, but to me, Wilco's made something great enough for me to reestablish them as a major musical presence in my life.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so finished my first listen, pretty much what i expected really, deeper down was awesome, did drift off in the middle there and end kinda, defaintly need another listen

Guest Speed Racer
I'm wondering if this leak isn't the full mixdown. I'm hearing a lot of clicks, but that might just be the compression.

I've got a clear recording. Think it's compression on your copy.

I've got a clear recording. Think it's compression on your copy.

So sleep doesn't seem to be happening for me tonight... Mine sounds pretty clean, but I have only listened to it my computer, and I am pretty sure doneright got it from me, so we have the same thing.

I have loved your facebook status updates, SR, btw.

--Mike.

Guest Speed Racer
I have loved your facebook status updates, SR, btw.

--Mike.

You should see the emails I've been sending! :lol At least I cut it out with the ALL CAPS ON FACEBOOK! Emails, not so much...

This album is AMAZING! I loved AGIB on the first listen, but not in the "Enjoy it in the kitchen while making eggs," sort of way, but much more along the lines of "playing solitaire in my room alone with headphones on," which oddly enough was a phase I went through for a while...And speaking of, the "cold as gasoline" line in "Solitaire" really jumped out as me.

Sunny Feeling, the one live track I listened to prior to the album (not counting WTS) is sooooo much better on the album. I should have known that, of course, but I'm so pleasantly surprised.

I just LOVE this album! Even 'My Country Has Disappeared,' which I thought would be a heavy-handed groaner, is great. Gah! I'm smitten! :wub The only thing that can make my day better is a camel ride.

Why is there so much compression? The drums and vocals (those harmonies!) especially. Its like there's some kind of Jeff Lynn-brand sheen put over all these tracks that in my opinion makes it sound not quite as genuine as their older stuff--it just sounds plain artificial and, yes, tame. Maybe this is what Jeff meant when describing the studio as an instrument, I don't know. Otherwise, a lot of great melodies, but I feel like generally there's no room for these songs to breathe. They sound too hurried and overly crowded, like everyone's jockeying for position. Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen?

Deeper Down is really great though. Maybe it'll grow on me, but for now put me on that short bus with Alan and Dangerer.

Wow! :thumbup

I'll admit at first listen in my room with the sound not too loud, I was a bit let down. In fact, the song that I loved the first time around was Solitaire. I didn't get to appreciate Bull Black Nova on first listen.

But than I got into my car at 2a.m. and drove around. That's when this album really hit me.

I know for me Deeper Down was really a WTF moment. Where most bands, imo, would put this near the end of a record, Wilco puts it 2nd. But I've listened to this song the 2nd most out of all the others. I love the lyrics and music. I can't wait to read the lyrics. Some of the lyrics get washed out. Hell Is Chrome, in that same 2nd slot, had a similar effect on me on first listen. But now that's one of my favorites.

I'm glad that One Wing was shortened. I was a bit surprised by the layered vocals in the middle coming out of the solo. It'll be interesting to see if this one gets extended in concert like the Lollapalooza version which I like just as much.

Bull Black Nova :worship I'll say this, the first time I thought I was listening to Funkytown or Safety Dance but in the best way possible. LOL. Also, Jeff gives Peter Steele a run for his money on writing lyrics apparently about killing one's girlfriend. Must have listened to this one at least 20 times or more. Every time it gets better. The song reaches levels of intensity on record that I can't imagine where they'll take this song live. I picture Via Chicago and this being roommates on this tour as a very interesting 1-2 punch.

It was a brilliant decision to follow a song with themes that Bull Black Nova has with You And I. I laughed. Beautiful song. Definitely that moment where you go "how can this be on the same album let alone from the same band."

When I first heard Country Disappeared it reminded me of John Lennon. It still maintains some of that while going in a different direction too.

Solitaire- I had no clue how this would sound with the band after hearing this solo. But it works oh so well. The strumming and everything going on is amazing.

I love the feel of I'll Fight. I really enjoyed this along w/ Country Disappeared from the Bridge School Benefits. Someone awhile back mentioned an older song from the 50s/60s that reminded them of I'll Fight. I definitely hear a lot of eras going on in this.

Sunny Feeling is the most fun song and best singalong of the bunch. Even if the lyrics are hard to keep up with or rather decipher. One live version I have from last August it sounded like Jeff was making up lyrics. It sounds like that here. But once again in the best possible way. Sonny Corleone music video in the wings?

Everlasting is just gorgeous. Another song I had no idea how'd it end up.

Overall, I'm very satisfied and I am still left with that great feeling that you know this love affair is in its early stages. There's stuff to be discovered on each listen type of feeling. I loved Sky Blue Sky on first listen and still love it. But I tend to listen to the live versions more often. I really can't wait to hear how these grow in a live setting and which songs become fan favorites.

It's great being a Wilco fan right now,

Kristofor

PS Speed Racer and Sir Stewart and anyone else that loves a great driving song--You can add Bull Black Nova to that list. Definitely, going to get some tickets for playing that one.

My first reaction, "get these boys a record contract" then I remembered that I was by my self, and they already have one. still good. better than SBS we will see about the other albums later.

What are Radiohead fans saying about the disc? I'm curious!

i think they like it. i didn't really read what they say to be honest. i was just looking for a leak - they like wilco over there on that forum, i know that (not as much as animal collective, but they like them).

Ah geeze.. Well, now its time for me to stay out of the new album threads. I'm one of the few that is going to try and wait for the official release date before I listen.. It's going to be a long month and half.. :hmm

Late night WTA online listening party - great.

Sore throat that turned into full-blown fever / cough / headache - not so great.

Having the day off to recover and listen to the album - great.

I'm not someone who can listen to something a million times right away; I do best when I let things sit for awhile. That said, after two widely spaced listens, I find myself with the same opinion as a lot of people here. I love the first four songs. W(ts) is very fun, and I love the guitar sound. Deeper Down is fascinating musically. I haven't yet gotten to a point where I really know the lyrics, but there's so much going on in there. I can't wait to see those transitions live. I like One Wing but so far of these four it stands out the least. Bull Black Nova blows me away, and the fact that it doesn't have a really obvious/clear vocal melody is one of the big strengths for me.

Then comes You and I, and I really like the juxtaposition with BBN but I can't say I love the song at this point. Really strong melody but this might take a few more listens to really know how I feel. You Never Know, I already knew I liked because it's been in my head since I listened to the live recordings of the 7WC show. This feels different to me because of that; a "familiar" song in the midst of the album. I'm a fan of the piano. Country Disappeared, I'm somewhat on the fence about. Definitely need more time - I like the chorus (how it's sung) but not sure about the rest.

Solitaire on first listen I thought was beautiful, and I still think so. The double tracked vocals really take center stage, and there doesn't seem to be a lot going on outside of them. It's all very subtle. So I think my overall opinion of this song will depend on how much I like those lyrics, when I get to the processing stage.

I love I'll Fight. It gets stuck in my head and won't go away. I've seen this song played live three times, and now heard it twice in recorded form. Only now am I really trying to figure out the lyrics and they are fascinating. If it's about what I think it's about, then I love it even more for the play on the "cliche" versus literal meaning of the chorus.

I love Sonny Feeling, too. I saw that live a couple times last year and there's definitely a whole new verse at the end. I'm not sure yet what's going on but it's incredibly catchy. Also somewhat darker lyrics with a really upbeat melody, similar to a lot of the stuff on Summerteeth.

Everlasting Everything: I like it more than I liked the solo live version, but it hasn't really sunk in beyond that at this point.

Overall I'm really pleased. I've never been able to say I love an album after one or two listens. In fact albums that would later become my favorites ever I've sometimes disliked a little on first listen. I'm not sure what this means for W(ta) if anything, but listening to it makes me want to listen to it some more. That's always a good sign. As I listened I found myself inching the volume higher and higher.

I understand some people's disappointment in the lack of "edginess" or "experimentation" - but to me it's not a criticism of the album itself. It's there or it's not, but it doesn't make the songs any worse or better. Really, though, BBN fits my definition of edgy. It's no ten minutes of droning, but it goes out on a limb in a different way.

Hmm, I feel like they really could've done more with One Wing (the live version floating around was a lot richer) & Everlasting (ends just when it starts to get interesting). Also, as mentioned before You & I really sounds like something that will be played to the background of some corny emotional scene in one of those annoying soap-hybrids (though I actually get that feeling with all things Feist).

I really dig Deeper down, Bull black Nova & Sonny Feeling (a vast improvement over earlier versions) though.