• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Thanks for that link!

My pleasure. I was wondering where to go for soundboards after archive.org pulled all theirs, so it was nice to find a few there. I'm not one of those people who wants to collect every single show, but I thought it would be nice to have 20 or 30 more. :lol And it enabled me to finally part with (i.e., throw away) some old tapes that were just collecting dust anyway.

My pleasure. I was wondering where to go for soundboards after archive.org pulled all theirs, so it was nice to find a few there. I'm not one of those people who wants to collect every single show, but I thought it would be nice to have 20 or 30 more. :lol And it enabled me to finally part with (i.e., throw away) some old tapes that were just collecting dust anyway.

You can find hundreds of Grateful Dead SBDs on bt.etree.org.

Found a pretty nice site to download mp3 files of a bunch of classic Dead shows, for those who like that sort of thing:

From The Stage: Grateful Dead Tours

this is so great! the guy has a bunch of other stuff on there, including the pure jerry series. can't wait to dig into those. Thanks Mr. Heartbreak!!

this is so great! the guy has a bunch of other stuff on there, including the pure jerry series. can't wait to dig into those. Thanks Mr. Heartbreak!!

I know who that guy is now. There is a bunch of illegal stuff there - that is, he is putting up commercially available albums. I think that link should be removed from this thread.

I know who that guy is now. There is a bunch of illegal stuff there - that is, he is putting up commercially available albums. I think that link should be removed from this thread.

or else Ms. Koons' goons will get ya!!!!!!

Speaking of that - some Jerry solo material:

Taper's Section (May 31 - June 6, 2010)

This is a week devoted only to Jerry's solo material as we roll into June here at the Tapers' Section.

In the summer of 1977, the Grateful Dead had one of their longest stretches without any shows in the years after the big 1974-1976 hiatus, going three full months without any concerts (6/9/77 to 9/3/77). Mickey was recuperating from an accident, and Jerry kept busy with his own band, the JGB, playing a lot of dates, and otherwise resting after a busy six months with the Grateful Dead, and the release of the Grateful Dead Movie on June 1, 1977. From the end of July, we have a couple of tunes from the shows at Theatre 1839, produced into the very first (and some say best!) Pure Jerry CD release. From the first show on 7/29/77, we have the ripping Mystery Train and this long, way out there Don't Let Go, and from the second night, on 7/30/77, we have Tangled Up In Blue, played much more slowly than the JGB would play it in the 1980s and 1990s.

From 1975, we figured we'd play some Legion of Mary, Jerry's primary musical outlet while the Grateful Dead were on hiatus in the first half of 1975. Featuring Jerry, John Kahn on bass, Merl Saunders on keyboards, Ron Tutt on drums and Martin Fierro on saxophone, we have this meaty Neighbor, Neighbor from the excellent Legion of Mary album released a few years ago.

Lastly this week we have Run For The Roses from 9/1/89 at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. This was from the first of two nights at Merriweather to start Jerry's big tour of 1989 that played mostly Grateful Dead-sized venues (Philly Spectrum, Hartford Civic, MSG, etc), and featured opening act Bob Weir and Rob Wasserman.

Be sure to join us next week for some Grateful Dead from 1970, 1973, 1974 and 1988. Good stuff coming up this summer here at the Tapers' Section. And as always, we encourage you to write to us with questions or comments about the Tapers' Section, or anything related to our favourite band.

David Lemieux

Speaking of that - some Jerry solo material:

Taper's Section (May 31 - June 6, 2010)

I saw back-to-back nights with the JGB in September '89 and they were excellent shows. Bobby/Rob were awesome as well. The "Don't Let Go" from Alpine on 9/15 was just unbelieveable - Clarence Clemons went as far out on his sax as you will EVER hear him - he was screeching like Anthony Fucking Braxton at one point, and the tune was a good 20+ minutes long. I walked up that long steep hill after the show feeling more inspired than I had in a LONG time.

I saw back-to-back nights with the JGB in September '89 and they were excellent shows. Bobby/Rob were awesome as well. The "Don't Let Go" from Alpine on 9/15 was just unbelieveable - Clarence Clemons went as far out on his sax as you will EVER hear him - he was screeching like Anthony Fucking Braxton at one point, and the tune was a good 20+ minutes long. I walked up that long steep hill after the show feeling more inspired than I had in a LONG time.

i luckily got to see jerry band in '93. even though it was the 90s, i remember it being one of the best shows i have ever seen. so jammed out!!

i always remember reading in relix about jerry band runs at the warfield with planet drum opening. always thought that would be such a great time. just heads.

Never saw The Jerry Band. I did see Weir/Wasserman in 1992 (I think) at the World Music Theater. It was pretty empty and I completely understand - It was at the World! I always liked the duo's version of Throwing Stones.

The first concert I ever saw was the Jerry Garcia Band in the summer of 1980. They did a version of Tangled Up in Blue that blew me away, partly because I had never heard the song before. I bought Blood on the Tracks the very next day. But Jerry's version was amazing. I have it on tape somewhere in my basement and I should dig it out because it was one of the best versions of it that I heard him play.

The first concert I ever saw was the Jerry Garcia Band in the summer of 1980. They did a version of Tangled Up in Blue that blew me away, partly because I had never heard the song before. I bought Blood on the Tracks the very next day. But Jerry's version was amazing. I have it on tape somewhere in my basement and I should dig it out because it was one of the best versions of it that I heard him play.

Wouldn't mind hearing it - do you remember the date of the show?

Never saw The Jerry Band. I did see Weir/Wasserman in 1992 (I think) at the World Music Theater. It was pretty empty and I completely understand - It was at the World! I always liked the duo's version of Throwing Stones.

yeah, bob and rob was fun. i wish they had played more small venues. i saw them at an outside shed which blew. that live album they put out several years is really good. i like throwin stones too. also, victim works well acoustic, interestingly:) that disc is also a good greatest hits pack for weir's solo stuff. his solo albums are a bit over produced for me.

I only got to see the Jerry Garcia Band once, and that was 9/5/89 in Hartford. I wasn't really expecting any Dead tunes, but we got Deal, They Love Each Other & Mission in the Rain. Of course, those aren't technically Dead tunes, but they might as well be, based on performance history. He also did a great version of the Bruce Cockburn song Waiting for a Miracle.

I never have gotten to see Bobby & the Midnites, Weir/Wasserman or Kingfish...just Ratdog. I guess that's good enough. :ninja

Starting catching JGB in 82 (first one was New Haven w/Bobby & Midnites opening and playing on encores). Kreutzman was the JGB drummer then, as he did a quick stint in that role around that time. I used to really enjoy the crowds at the smaller clubs/theatres as they (crowd) were generally older and mellower. he always seemed to draw the biker crowd a bunch back then, too.

Starting catching JGB in 82 (first one was New Haven w/Bobby & Midnites opening and playing on encores). Kreutzman was the JGB drummer then, as he did a quick stint in that role around that time.

Someone just uploaded the 3/7/82 show on one of the sites, I think bt-etree. This is my first show from this era that I have heard. Like the two keyboards and Kreutzman sounds great. Kreutzman definitely lights a bit of fire under the band at this show. I love Mickey (for the most part) but it is fun just listening to Kreutzman play without a 2nd drummer.

Alpine and Poplar Creek, right? Remember that harvest moon rising at Poplar? Thats also where I saw Uncle Bobo grooving along one of the aisles. I remember being pissed that Clemons was going to be on stage for those shows and afterwards I was so happy because the dude jammed out and complemented the band so righteously. My discs of those shows suck though, bad AUDs.

Alpine and Poplar Creek, right? Remember that harvest moon rising at Poplar? Thats also where I saw Uncle Bobo grooving along one of the aisles. I remember being pissed that Clemons was going to be on stage for those shows and afterwards I was so happy because the dude jammed out and complemented the band so righteously. My discs of those shows suck though, bad AUDs.

I DO remember! And I did shake Bill's hand that night, and just said "Thanks".

It's entirely possible we weren't more than a few yards/rows away from each other.

I DO remember! And I did shake Bill's hand that night, and just said "Thanks".

It's entirely possible we weren't more than a few yards/rows away from each other.

I was floating, grooving and shaking around all over the place during both shows so you very well could be right!

In a lot of ways I enjoyed the JGB shows more than the dead shows

saw my first in May of 83 at the the Bushnell in Hartford-missed their peak by a few years :thumbup

and I feel lucky to have seen a bunch of the jerry solo acoustic shows

good times