• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7/2/71 - one of the first batches of tapes I owned. Nice FM (KSAN, I think).

That version of The Other One might just be the best of the year (well, until October anyway). SCARY-good. Dedicated to Owsley, who was in Terminal Island at the time.

I got the new Road Trips (Vol. 3 No. 3 - 5/15/70) in the mail Friday. This is a STRONG release, dudes. One of the better ones of the dozen or so RTs.

I woke up this morning with a pretty decent-sized hangover, and had a few strong coffees, and worked my way through the whole thing - acoustic stuff first, then the electric. What a joy to have so many previously unreleased tunes! Long Black Limousene, Silver Threads & Golden Needles, I Hear A Voice A-Callin' (with David Nelson on mandolin & Marmaduke on harmonies), and ESPECIALLY Pig doin' She's Mine. I had these shows on cassette 20 years ago, but to have the pristine sound, and all the crazy banter is just pure FUN.

Highly recommended.

I need to order that - I forgot about it.

Taper's Section (July 5 to July 11, 2010)

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we have music from the 1980s, three sequences that ended concerts. We hope your 4th of July celebrations were fun!

Our first stop this week is on April Fool's day, 4/1/84, at Marin Civic, the last-ever Grateful Dead show at the tiny, Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Marin Civic, a terrific venue. From that show, we have the second-set closing sequence of Morning Dew>GDTRFB>I Neeed A Miracle>Good Lovin', Touch of Grey, the last song being the encore. These shows must have been particularly fun for the band, being so close to home, and for the office staff and crew, as Marin Civic was only a mile or so from GDHQ.

Next up is more music from Laguna Seca '88, specifically the middle show of three nights, on 7/30/88, where we have the post-Space sequence of Smokestack Lightnin' > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > Wharf Rat > Throwing Stones > One More Saturday Night. Cool to see a Smokestack out of Space.

Lastly this week, from 7/31/88 at Laguna Seca, we have the show-ending jam of The Other One > I Need A Miracle > Morning Dew, In The Midnight Hour, with the last song being the encore. There were a few repeats in this week's Tapers' Section, but we don't mind, as they all fall within unique sequences.

Be sure to stop by next week for more great GD music. We have some fun stuff coming up. As always, we encourage you to write to us at the Tapers' Section, at the email address below. Please be sure to include “Grateful Dead” in your subject to make sure your missive busts through our state-of-the-art spam filters.

David Lemieux

7/9/95 - Soldier Field, Chicago IL

"Such a long, long time to be gone - and a short time to be there" :ohwell

Man. 15 years. Never does a day go by that I don't miss 'em.

7/9/95 - Soldier Field, Chicago IL

"Such a long, long time to be gone - and a short time to be there" :ohwell

Man. 15 years. Never does a day go by that I don't miss 'em.

:thumbup

August 9th will be here before we know it, too. I still remember where I was when I heard the news. I wanted to cry, and I had to work all darn day!

Taper's Section (July 12 to July 18, 2010)

Greetings, and welcome back. This week we have music from the 1980s, and a taste of 1974.

You may recall last week we played you the end of 7/31/88 at Laguna Seca. This week we have the second set opening sequence, consisting of Hell In A Bucket > Foolish Heart > Man Smart, Woman Smarter > Terrapin Station > I Will Take You Home. This last tune, Brent's lullaby to his daughters, was very new at the time, and had not yet found it's permanent home in the post-Space slot.

Next up we have the Big Jam from 7/25/74 in Chicago, made up of Dark Star>Stella, Johnny B. Goode, UJB>US Blues, OMSN, Ship of Fools, with this last song being the encore, a very rare Ship encore. Also note the Slipknot jam in Dark Star, one of the earliest. This show was part of the Wall Of Sound tour, and was the final US tour featuring the Wall Of Sound.

Finally this week, from 7/22/84 at Ventura County Fairground, we have the show-closing sequence of Morning Dew>Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away, Midnight Hour>Brokedown Palace, with these last two being the encore. I never got the chance to see the GD at Ventura, but for a terrific account of a Ventura show, check out Blair Jackson's The Music Never Stopped book, which has an account of seeing the GD at Ventura '82.

We hope to see you here next week, and we look forward to your emails at the address below. Please make your email subject “Grateful Dead” so that we're sure to get it. Thanks!

David Lemieux

Bob Weir’s Gnarly Border Crossing: Fact and Fiction

I think the info is wrong about the 1967 arrest. I am curious to know.

I've never read anything about an arrest in WV in '67. There was the bust at 710 in Oct. '67. Maybe that's what it is. As far as I know the Dead were never in WV at that time. Hmmm.

I've never read anything about an arrest in WV in '67. There was the bust at 710 in Oct. '67. Maybe that's what it is. As far as I know the Dead were never in WV at that time. Hmmm.

It is bugging me. About like when I read that the Velvet Underground supposedly played here where I live. I did all sorts of research on that, and could not find anything. We don't have a date for the Weir story, so it would be very hard for me to look it up.

There is no mention of it in the Dennis McNally book.

I was thinking of asking the person who wrote the article, but I don't want to be spammed to death by Jambands.com.

Here is the link to the original article that Jambands was quoting. I think Jambands was questioning the whole article. Regardless it was the Ottawa Citizen that was reporting that he was arrested in West Virginia, not Jambands. I realized this after I made an account (with jambands) to comment on article. D'oh!

Enter Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest executive director Mark Monahan, who had booked Weir and his bass-playing buddy Phil Lesh to play the main stage Wednesday.

While Weir and Lesh retreated to a Holiday Inn near the border to let their people sort things out, Monahan began a day of frenetic telephone negotiations between immigration authorities in Ottawa, Border Services at the Thousand Islands and a

courthouse in San Diego.

Canadian authorities wanted details of the three convictions.

“The guy is 66 years old and his last conviction was 30 years ago,” said Monahan Thursday. “It’s not like he’s a threat to Canadian security or was planning to become a fugitive and stay in Canada.”

Monahan pleaded the case to border security but they wouldn’t budge.

“It wasn’t good enough for them,” he said. “They wanted details.”

Getting those details wasn’t going to be easy.

“There is no existing record of the West Virginia conviction,” added Monahan, “and the New Orleans conviction was swept away by Hurricane Katrina. So San Diego was the only hope.”

Never heard/read of a '67 WV arrest for Weir, either. The only shows they did off the west coast in '67 were in CO, MI, NY, MA, and....Canada. Sounds like bunk info/typo/something. The guy who wrote the Jamband article pinpointed 1967 while the original (filled with plenty of snark...even a jab at Garcia) is vague with "the first was in West Virginia in the 1960s and the second in the 1970s in New Orleans."

Still, never heard of this either way....

Here is the link to the original article that Jambands was quoting. I think Jambands was questioning the whole article. Regardless it was the Ottawa Citizen that was reporting that he was arrested in West Virginia, not Jambands. I realized this after I made an account (with jambands) to comment on article. D'oh!

That's right - I forgot about that.

man, roosevelt stadium was a freaking dump

but i saw some unbelievably great shows there

the place was crumbling to the ground by the mid-1970s. was an ancient minor-league baseball stadium (where Jackie Robinson made his professional baseball debut in 1946)

was torn down in the early 1980s but i'll never forget the place

and i will listen to this fantastic show tonight

man, roosevelt stadium was a freaking dump

but i saw some unbelievably great shows there

the place was crumbling to the ground by the mid-1970s. was an ancient minor-league baseball stadium (where Jackie Robinson made his professional baseball debut in 1946)

was torn down in the early 1980s but i'll never forget the place

and i will listen to this fantastic show tonight

I got turned onto the tape of this show around 1983 by a Deadhead from Jersey. I don't remember whether he told me the place was a dump, but he sure had some good tapes of shows from that area!

Enjoy.

Taper's Section (July 19 - July 25, 2010)

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we have music from the mid and late 1980s, from second sets exclusively.

As you might recall, last week we played you the end of the second set of 7/22/84 at Ventura County Fairgrounds. This week we're pleased to play the start of the second set of that show, featuring Samson and Delilah, Ship of Fools, I Just Want To Make Love To You>Women Are Smarter, Terrapin Station. There were some mighty fine shows on the summer tour of 1984.

From about five years later, on 7/15/89 at Deer Creek in Noblesville, IN, we have the start of Set 2, featuring Foolish Heart>Victim Or The Crime>Crazy Fingers>Truckin'>Smokestack Lightning. This was a magical little show, in that it followed two weeks of huge stadium gigs on the east coast, and although it featured its share of train wrecks, it also featured some wonderful moments, like this excellent Truckin', all in a 14,000 seat amphitheatre in the Midwest.

Finally this week, from a couple of nights later, the second of three show at Alpine Valley Music Theatre in E. Troy, WI on 7/18/89, we have the second set opener, featuring Sugar Magnolia > Scarlet Begonias ; Man Smart (Woman Smarter) ; Eyes Of The World. This show is often overlooked due to the magnificence of the previous night, but it does have some good music throughout.

Join us here next week for more tasty tunes. As always, we encourage you to write to us at the address below with any questions about the Grateful Dead and their recordings. Thanks for stopping by!

David Lemieux

^ Dear Mr. Lemieux,

Hate to bust your balls on such a trivial piece of information, but Deer Creek was never 14,000 seats. In '89 it was 18,000, later expanded to 22,500.

Best, MB

Ahhh, 7/15/89 - the very first of 14 (mostly excellent) shows at The Creek. That Crazy Fingers is a MONUMENTAL train wreck to be sure, but all in all it's a good show, and quite lengthy (over 3 hours). I've talked about this before, but what a blessing to finally have a place to see the band so close to home (20 miles). To come home after a show and sleep in your own bed is an amazing thing, especially after travelling so far and wide, sleeping in hot tents and vans for years.

I actually like 7/17 better - a first set that's hard to top, and the first bustout of We Bid You since the legendary 12/31/78 closing of Winterland. That Alpine run is easily my favorite run of Dead I saw in the late '80s, hell, maybe EVER.