• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell happened to Aman? Yesterday was Monday and all....Day off in lieu of Brent's 20 year passing?

I was thinking the same thing, yesterday.

I did notice on another site that they are going to release a five-LP boxed set. I don't have a record player, so I think I will be passing. Should sound great, though.

The Warner Bros. Studio Albums Vinyl Box (Exclusive Edition)

Between 1967 and 1970, the Grateful Dead recorded five studio albums for Warner Bros. Records that formed the psychedelic canon on which the band’s live legend was built.

Celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty with THE WARNER BROS. STUDIO ALBUMS, a five-LP boxed set. The collection contains The Grateful Dead (1967),Workingman’s Dead, and American Beauty (1970), plus the original mixes for Anthem Of The Sun (1968) and Aoxomoxoa (1969), available on vinyl for the first time in nearly 40 years.

The original mixes for Anthem of the Sun and Aoxomoxoa — featured here for the first time since they were released — went out of circulation in 1972 and 1971 respectively. Garcia and Lesh revisited Aoxomoxoa two years after its release in an effort to cut through the dense mix, which was a result of the band’s extensive experimenting in the studio with one of the first 16-track recorders. The overhaul changed the album’s sound significantly, including the end of “Doin’ That Rag,” which originally closed with an a cappella vocal coda that was later removed.

The set also offers detailed replicas of the original albums housed in a hard-shell case that protects and stores the music with the accompanying 12" x 12" book including unpublished photos and new liner notes by Blair Jackson. To ensure the highest degree of quality, the albums were pressed on 180-gram vinyl at RTI using lacquers cut from the original analog masters by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering.

I have been in Maine. I have not been online since Monday morning. Far out, man.

Taper's Section (July 26 - August 2, 2010)

Greetings, and thanks for joining us again here at the Tapers' Section, where this week have some music from the summer tour of 1981, and a taste of 1985 Grateful Dead music.

Our first selection this week is music from the first and second set of 7/5/81 Oklahoma City, where we have the last song of the first set followed by the first four songs of the second set: Let It Grow; Samson and Delilah, Don't Ease Me In, The Music Never Stopped, Ship Of Fools. A couple of those second set tunes have an odd placement, which is always one of the cool things about GD shows, never knowing what's going to be where, despite expectations.

From two nights later on 7/7/81 in Kansas City, we have the start of the second set, featuring Women Are Smarter, Candyman, Estimated Prophet>Eyes of the World. This is the second-ever version of Women Are Smarter, the first being played on 7/2/81, and also note that the Eyes cuts here where the master cassette cuts.

Finally this week we have second set music from one of the most famous shows of 1985, from 6/30/85 at Merriweather Post Pavillion. Of course, the sequence that comes to mind for most people when they hear this show's date is the pre-Drums sequence with that interstellar Shakedown Street and the Cryptical (and the Samson, Gimme Some and He's Gone!), so today we're pleased to play you the post-Drums sequence of Other One>Stella Blue>Around and Around>Sugar Magnolia, which includes the Other One that completes the Cryptical. Good stuff on this tour.

Thanks for checking us out this week, and please do feel free to write to the address below with questions about anything Grateful Dead related. We respond to most everything that comes our way, so we do encourage you to reach out to say hi and ask anything about the tapes that you might want to know.

David Lemieux

Listening to The Dead 4/15/09 - That Drums/Space/ St. Stephen was great. Thought I was listening to Tangerine Dream or something during the middle of it.

Taper's Section (August 2 - August 9, 2010)

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we once again dip into Grateful Dead music from the 1980s (don't worry, plenty of 60s, 70s and 90s will be heard in the future!).

We don't play too much 1984 Dead here, so this week we'll start out with the beginning of the first set of 6/29/84 at Akron, OH, made up of Bertha > Greatest Story Ever Told ; They Love Each Other ; C.C. Rider ; Bird Song. Please note that the Bird Songs cuts where the master cassette cuts, unfortunately.

After playing you the end of the show last week, we figured we should play the start of the second set (we did mention it last week, after all) from 6/30/85 at Merriweather, made up of Shakedown Street>Samson and Delilah, Gimme Some Lovin'>He's Gone>Cryptical Envelopment. It seems appropriate that those last two tracks would land here at the Tapers' Section this week.

Finally this week, like our first selections this week, is music from a year we don't tap too much here, 1988. From 6/25/88 at Buckeye Lake in Hebrom (near Columbus) OH, we have the entire first set, featuring Feel Like A Stranger >Franklin's Tower; Box Of Rain; Sugaree; Stuck In Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again; West L.A. Fadeaway ;Cassidy; Deal. The 3rd and 4th tracks here feature none other than Bruce Hornsby on accordion, the first instance of this future member of the Grateful Dead sitting in with the band. We've been digging out some of the rarer 1988 GD shows, and next week we'll have a little more the summer tour of 1988 that you've likely never heard.

Thanks for joining us, and we'll look forward to seeing you next week. As always, we encourage you to write to us at the email address below with any Grateful Dead questions.

Man, I wish Lemieux would play some 6/30/84. I still think that was the best show I ever saw.

I don't think I've ever even heard of 6/29.

Scarlet->Touch-> Mr. fantasy openeed the second set from 6/29/84.

I caught the '88 Buckeye show and remember it being solid but nothing fantastic. The band was in good spirits w/ Hornsby up there for the 2 tunes.

For the Lp enthusiasts:

http://store.dead.ne...dn/080210/text1

ed. Don't know why it says "available for the first time in over 40 yrs." I had Aoxomoxoa on Lp, as well as American Beauty and the first one. Maybe referring to the first one.

I think they're referring to the original mixes of Anthem of the Sun and Aoxomoxoa. I would love to have those mixes but I'm past buying LPs. Wish they would just issue them on CD.

I think that is right. Jerry re-mixed them sometime in the early 1970s.

Vinyl records are selling like hotcakes these days, so it makes sense that they would put those out.

Hey Lammy, the Jerry Garcia Experience is playing at Boulder Beer tomorrow, 5pm to 8pm I believe. Just a small local band, no Dark Star Orchestra or anything but I saw them last year and they are pretty good. Plus you got Mojo on tap right from the source.

Hey Lammy, the Jerry Garcia Experience is playing at Boulder Beer tomorrow, 5pm to 8pm I believe. Just a small local band, no Dark Star Orchestra or anything but I saw them last year and they are pretty good. Plus you got Mojo on tap right from the source.

I think I'm locked in to dinner plans but thanks for the head's up. Caught Mighty High last saturday down here. Always a good time. All JGB/LOM....

Wanted to share this: Dead Play Beatles (actually includes P&F, Dead, JGB). Pretty decent mix, particularly the JGB "I Want To Tell You" and the "All Too Much" from GD '95. Always liked that one a lot.

http://www.archive.org/serve/gd_DeadPlayBeatles/gd_DeadPlayBeatles.wma

I missed seeing them play It's All Too Much by one day. Can you tell me approximately where on that two hour recoding it is? There's no way I'll ever make it through The Dead (and associates) plaing Beatles covers for two hours.

I missed seeing them play It's All Too Much by one day. Can you tell me approximately where on that two hour recoding it is? There's no way I'll ever make it through The Dead (and associates) plaing Beatles covers for two hours.

Disc I

Day Tripper GD 06-25-85

Come Together Dead 07-07-03

Eleanor Rigby Jam JGB 02-12-80

...Tomorrow Never Knows GD 11/29/94

Blackbird Ratdog 11-09-99

Get Back PLQ 10-16-00

Why Don't We Do It In The Road GD 04-07-85

Hey Jude GD 03-22-90 *Complete version; Jude>Reprise patched together, no Fantasy

Strawberry Fields Forever PLQ 02-08-02

Rain GD 10-09-94

Disc II

Revolution GD 07-02-85

She Said Dead 07-07-03

Dear Prudence Reconstruction 7-8-79

I Am The Walrus PLQ 09-01-02

I Want To Tell You JGB 03-08-87 *1 of 2 JGB times played; other in '76

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds GD 03-17-95

All Too Much GD 03-26-95

While My Guitar Gently Weeps PLQ 11-30-01 *Only time played

I am glad they are doing that. I am not down with these sort of films, and they are just going to show him as a junkie for an hour and a half anyhow. Although, now I see they are saying it is going to be about his life before the band. That was not what was said when this was accounced last year, I don't think.

Some more news about the vinyl re-issues:

Grateful Dead Albums Return to Vinyl

As the vinyl renaissance continues, five Grateful Dead abums will be re-released in this format. The Grateful Dead (1967), Workingman’s Dead (1970) and American Beauty (1970) will be re-issued, along with the original mixes for Anthem Of The Sun (1968) and Aoxomoxoa (1969). These all will be collected on The Warner Brothers Studio Albums box set. The package will be released by Rhino on September 21 in a hard-shell case, along with a book containing unpublished photos and new liner notes written by Blair Jackson. In addition, folks who order from Dead.net will receive a reproduction of the original “Dark Star” studio album in all 2:38 of its glory.

Taper's Section (August 9 - August 15, 2010)

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we have music from the more recent Grateful Dead past, 1985 through 1992.

Our first stop this week is on 6/21/85 at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin, the first of two nights in the valley. From that show, we have the end of the second set, featuring Truckin' > Black Peter > Around And Around > Sugar Magnolia Encore It's All Over Now, Baby Blue. Coming on the heels of the three great nights at the Greek, this was a good show to open the summer tour of 1985. Trouble ahead, Jerry's in red!

Next up is another Midwest summer tour opener, this time the 1988 summer tour's first show on 6/17/88 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. From that show, which preceded the four very hot show at Alpine 6/19-23, we have the entire recorded portion of the first set, featuring New Minglewood Blues ; Row Jimmy ; Far From Me ; When I Paint My Masterpiece ; Althea ; Victim Or The Crime. I mention "recorded portion," because the show-opening Bucket>Sugaree was not recorded to the board master. Worth noting here is that is the first ever live Grateful Dead performance of Victim Or The Crime.

Finally this week, from the second of two nights at Albany's Kinckerbocker Arena on 6/12/92, we have the second-set opening Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain ; Way To Go Home ; Truckin' > Smokestack Lightnin'. This tour was hit and miss, with some very good music, and some that sounded like the band was tired, and going through another transitional period, as Bruce Hornsby had left the band after the Spring Tour of 1992.

Be sure to stop in next week for more music direct from the vault to your ears. Thanks for listening, and we'l look forward to seeing you next week. As always, we encourage you to write to vault@dead.net with any questions or comments about the Tapers' Section, or anything else Grateful Dead-related.

David Lemieux